Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 10:28 AM   #31 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
I am just the messenger of the reports of no improvement who had some questions about your testing procedures. I could question their methods too, but I am not going to put myself in the middle. It is work, but you are the only one making any money. I really don't understand why you expect me to coordinate/quantify/justify the real world testing for you?!? And why you expect your customers to do your real world testing for that matter?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #32 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
dcb -

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Forgive me, but 3 dyno pulls from low rpm to redline does not imply a fully warmed up engine. nor even if you follow it with an acceleration from 40 to 80.

I wouldn't be so skeptical, but these plugs aren't turning into real world mpg results AFAICT. I mean we are talking about folks who can tell if a mirror is removed and NOT noticing any improvement with these plugs.
I think we have people with test skills that are all over the map (I'm not one of the better ones, BTW).

Regarding your mirror delete example, I consider this to be a mod outside the scope of Pulstar testing (apples and oranges). We have discussed on this forum situations in which the ScanGauge is not 100% accurate with all drivetrains under all driving conditions. Without access to the SG source, we have theorized that it extrapolates MPG from other inputs by using a proprietary algorithm.

From my POV, the mirror-delete is an aerodynamic mod. I think the ScanGauge is best suited to measure these mods because aerodynamic mods have a (direct?) "positive effect" on engine load parameters that the ScanGauge measures. When the aero-mods help the engine to do less "work" to go the same speed, the SG can detect this. What I am saying is, the SG is the "right tool for the job" when it comes to measuring the effect of aerodynamic mods.

I think of the Pulstar mod as an "engine combustion mod". I don't think the SG is in a reliable position to test this. I think this needs to be done on a dynamometer, where the number of external parameters are reduced. Most of us don't have this. I am not making a claim for or against Pulstar plugs, but I am saying that our informal "test lab" may not be the "right tool for the job".

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 07-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #33 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
LOL, this thread makes me think of Gin Rummy for some reason

"There are known unknowns! And there are unknown unknowns!"
"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!"
Old 07-29-2008, 03:37 AM   #34 (permalink)
Boxy is Sexy

xBox - '05 Scion xB
90 day: 40.85 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Z man
Denso Iridiums are good?

This is what I'm taking from this.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:39 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1997 Civic POS - '97 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to ajax_6531 Send a message via Yahoo to ajax_6531
I think its great that the CEO of a company would join our little website here to offer his input.

Conversely, I think its a bad idea that the CEO of a company would join this site simply for the purpose of defending his product and not looking at any of the other threads at all. This could change someone's outlook on our ideas, you know?

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on the second option. I believe dparker would be a lot more understanding of our methods if he read more posts, rather than just the one pertaining to his product.

On another note, I think we could really benefit by having CEOs and other representatives of these companies could build products more in line with being "green" and using us as a sounding board. Also, a friendly relationship with someone can never hurt :-)

IYAOYAS
Old 08-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #36 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
First tank with the pulstar plugs in netted me a 58.7 mpg tank. Pretty good, but not my best. I will report back after the next tank.

...must resist doing other mods in the mean time!
Old 08-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #37 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Now I know I am jumping into this game a little late, but here are my observations on what I have read ...

-Alot of the guys that have or are testing these currently are using older vehicles. Yes we have them working optimally, but still they are older than 4 years in most cases, throwing in all sorts of unknowns.

-Then their are the claims, without going to their site, no one here has discussed any claims regarding unburned fuel. If you have a better spark plug, shouldn't there be less or no unburned fuel and therefore a way to measure and display that data? If they can prove that then the product works and other factors then contribute to the lack of improvement made in claims.

I mean no offense but I am sure all the lab testing done with vehicles didn't include Metro's and 10 year old Civics.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 08-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

"Best spark plugs to have?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z man View Post

If not, what are the best spark plugs to have?
"The best spark plugs to..." . Whoa! Stop right there. Ask the gasoline / air mixture in your combustion chamber : ANY spark will set off the mixture. If you can make this spark ... under the conditions of pressure and
turbulence ( the spark can actually be "blown out' by these gales) over and over and over again, you'll be satisfied. We're talking many factors, here. Tip erosion, internal resistance, heat range, external corrosion, etc.
Most people have favorite brands. I have many "unfavorite" brands. You never know what you're getting, anymore. The whole world has been "outsourced"! For instance, I used to trust Robert Bosch plugs...until I happened to look closely ... stamped into the main barrel of the plug body one day ( in fine print) ..."Made in India". Oops! Not for me! Sorry.... I still put my trust in US-made Autolites, always have...no problems...ever. I never have liked Champion ( lawn mower plugs) . Other brands? I have no idea of the quality. OEM plugs? Not a good way to judge....Too much cost accounting work, here. Bean counter budgets at work. I don't trust bean counters.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:02 PM   #39 (permalink)
CEO

whitevette,

You are right. We call that squish velocity. Spark plugs can tolerate a squish velocity of about 10 meters per second, but Pulstar can take 100 meters per second due to its compressed power.

trikkonceptz,

Also right. We make power by burning the hydrocarbons in the cylinder instead of the catalytic converter. As a result combustion products from a pulse plug are lean. BTW, 35% of vehicles using Pulstar are still under warranty and many of the vehicles we test are older than 10 years...they give us the very best results.

ajax_6531,

I understand your point. It's hard to visit all the different forums out there talking about Pulstar and have the time to detail them all. I would love to understand your methods. If you read my posts you will see that I have detailed ours. Please, someone explain how you go about testing. I think of Pulstar as a green product. Do you know that 1 gallon of gasoline weighs 6.2 lbs. and generates 19.4 pounds of carbon dioxide a prime greenhouse gas? If you have ideas of how we can get our green message across I am all ears.

All,

Thanks for listening. I welcome your insights. We are a new company with an exciting technology, but we don't always know the best way to describe it to people. There has been so much snake oil out there, that any new plug would logically be guilty on arrival. We are only looking for a fair chance to prove ourselves.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparker View Post
whitevette,

You are right. We call that squish velocity. Spark plugs can tolerate a squish velocity of about 10 meters per second, but Pulstar can take 100 meters per second due to its compressed power.

I think of Pulstar as a green product. Do you know that 1 gallon of gasoline weighs 6.2 lbs. and generates 19.4 pounds of carbon dioxide a prime greenhouse gas? If you have ideas of how we can get our green message across I am all ears.

All,

Thanks for listening. I welcome your insights. We are a new company with an exciting technology, but we don't always know the best way to describe it to people. There has been so much snake oil out there, that any new plug would logically be guilty on arrival. We are only looking for a fair chance to prove ourselves.

Thanks
Hi, D. Parker-
Entertain a thought, please. I mentioned the spark being extinguished in the water vapor tests ... you stated this was called "squish velocity". Is there any possibility you & I could talk further about this "green technology"?
Tell me about "snake oil" ... or the gauntlet imposed by same.
I am at [ chembustion at yahoo dot com ] . Comments? -whitevette

Reply  Post New Thread