Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2020, 02:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I love your Pony, Charlie. I modded a slant six in my Dodge Demon back in the 70s.
-Did you machine the intake manifold to accept the 2 bbl carb, or use a bolt-on adaptor?
-Did you use a vari-jet type of carb? The Jeep guys like to use these Vari-jet Webbers on their straight sixes. The second barrell only opens when extra power is needed, sort of the way a 4 bbl works. I think Ford made something similar to the Webber and used it on 4 cyl mustangs.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-25-2020, 11:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Pro

carbs and sixes

Wheelbender6, I did not machine the intake but used an adaptor. I have the later head that has the larger intake opening but same valves I planned to machine when I built the 73 Maverick 200 motor. The carb was an Autolite 2100 287 cfm 2-barrel with annular atomization I explained on an earlier post. In my thinking it is the best carb ever built for economy, HP, and Torque. Since I am not rich I had to sell the 65 to build my present Sunbeam...which also uses an Autolite 2150 later version of the 2100. I think I posted a pix of the 65.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
That Sunbeam holds a lot of promise, Charlie. I like the looks of the 2.3 you've built to go into it, too.

I've always been a fan of fours, especially the larger ones. I like when someone takes a more pedestrian motor and optimizes it and shows the "V8 or nothing!" crowd what they're missing.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Sunbeam looks like a great project, Charlie.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Saw this:

http://justacarguy.blogspot.com: Arf... Sunbeam Tiger

"When I grow up I'm going to be a T-Bird".

Old 10-28-2020, 12:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Pro

Four Bangers

ElHigh, I am a recent convert to the smaller engines from the Street Rodding hobby. Even with V8s I built for economy. My wife is an orphan and I started life's journey in the Dallas housing projects. Neither of us had $$$. Now 54 years later we own everything, and have far more than we need, and I still try to build something challenging. The Sunbeam with an old 2.3 running points and a carb, seemed perfect. If I can make 110 plus HP, 130+ lbs. ft. torque, get mid 30's MPG, and do it in comfort, I will be happy. I have seen most of the United States from an old car(32 Ford coupe, 4 1940 Ford coupes, a corvette powered 35 Ford pickup, a chopped Pontiac tri-powered 34 Ford pickup, and a 1965 Mustang SIX), except the North West. We are retired and in decent health, so why not? The little four built for MPG and comfort, should keep 2 old corn-fed 70's plus folks (I may be 80) cruising in style. I witnessed true poverty from the flight deck of 3 carriers in the 1960's and know this is a blessed nation I want to see more of. I can think of no better way than driving a sportscar I built that runs clean, has plenty of HP, and is economical. And I still say my prayers at night.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Cheap View Post
Lower the car
This doesn't work out so well in Brazil. A few days ago I was with my mother and grandmother, and my grandmother got shocked to find out some crazy guys lower their cars to the point it drags to the pavement, damaging not only the car but also the pavement which becomes a PITA for everyone else

Quote:
Narrow front wheels reduce friction/drag
Even though 13" tyres became less usual recently, last year my mother considered switching from stock 14" to 13" due to the taller sidewalls for improved comfort. Well, 13" tyres as narrow as 145 became quite rare now, but the more common 165 and 175 are still not bad at all for that matter.

Quote:
The radiator fan causes engine drag, so use an electric fan, fan clutch, or flex-fan
Nowdays I see no reason for anything other than an electric fan to be used in a vehicle. Or even in a farm tractor.

Quote:
The AC compressor hurts, so upgrade to a more modern Sanden if your car has an old Ford York
Now that many cars are switching to 48-volt electrical systems and start-stop is also increasingly common, it's quite surprising that all-electric AC systems are not so widespread for cars as they are for RVs, and for big rigs too as it allows the driver to sleep with the engine turned off.

Quote:
DO NOT hang mufflers or any under car parts lower than the body line
More often the only cars I see with parts lower than the body line are either converted to CNG or wheelchair-accessible minivans.

Quote:
Replace the spare tire and jack with tire sealer/foot pump/tire plugs
This is another deal I'd be unlikely to try due to local riding conditions
Old 10-28-2020, 12:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
I have seen most of the United States from an old car, except the North West.
I got halfway around the World once, and I'd point to a picture of the Columbia River Gorge and say I lived not so far from there.

Maybe a little teardrop trailer?

Old 10-28-2020, 01:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Maybe a little teardrop trailer?
Last time I saw a teardrop trailer, it was coupled to a Volkswagen-engined tricycle. Too bad I wasn't quick enough to at least try to take a picture, and I can blame it at least partially on the dog...
Old 10-28-2020, 08:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Pro

MPG mods

Rooster, the reason for going to higher voltage electrical systems is the use of electrical power steering, larger computers, electronic ignitions that are heavy electrical drains, and computer shifted automatic transmissions. Add electric torque converter lockup, bigger computer screens, and on-board TV for passengers, and electric demand goes way up. It sells cars/SUV's but I think we have forgotten the purpose of a car...getting us from A to B as efficiently as possible. When I sold my 1965 Mustang SIX, I mentioned to the possible buyer he would need to get use to people honking at him with a "thumbs-up." Just a minute later a car of teens pulled along side and did that very thing. He bought the Mustang. My Sunbeam will have an automatic overdrive A4LD with a lock-up torque converter that is controlled by a simple button. I am sure I could get 40 MPG if that was my goal, but sacrificing drivability would be compromised for other drivers not familiar with the car's unique driving needs. My cars can be driven by ANY normal driver without special training.

Reply  Post New Thread