Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The donkey CRX View Post
I use a beaded seat cover and a "Tornado" fan that blows a strong breeze directly at my chest and head. I got both items on Amazon, but you can also
get the fan at a Pilot Truck stop for about $25. The beaded seat cover was about $33. It allows your sweat to evaporate as the air circulates between you and the seat. I guess that's why you see so many drivers in other countries using items like this.

I also turn on the fan in the dash on outside air (no A/C) to bring in fresh air since I also have my windows rolled up for aero.

This works great up to about 90 degrees outside and I am able to tolerate it up to about 98 degrees.
Do the beaded seat cover really help? Because right now I can tolerate ~95 with the windows up drawing in outside air before I have to either turn on the A/C or roll down the windows. If the beaded seat covers really help, I could probably tolerate 105+ without an issue.

Also, can I get a link to the one you have? I already found the tornado fan, but I would like to get that exact seat cover as well since it seems to fit your seat so well (I have same seats in the HX).

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

MULE VX - '92 Honda civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 92.6 mpg (US)

White 94 VX "Show Car" - '94 Honda Civic VX VX
90 day: 79.92 mpg (US)

The Walrus - '02 Honda Insight base
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 100.88 mpg (US)
Hey Balto I just went to Amazon and put in beaded seat covers. I don't have a part number, but I got the larger and wider type that cover the entire seat and seat back.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
I have never tried the "taxi driver" beaded cushions. Do those really help? Chillows is an interesting idea. It'd help on those days when I hit up work in the afternoons, useless if I go in on a morning shift.

As it is, when I'm on my own I don't even consider A/C. I used to when I was sick or had hangovers, but...even in those cases I no longer use it. I have found, as a native Californian transplanted to Texas, that it has the side bonus of helping me acclimatize to Texas' brutal summers which are both 5-15*F hotter and double to triple the humidity percentage compared to where I grew up.

If I didn't have a/c at home or wherever my destination is, though, I'd just die.

Incidentally, we had no a/c in the house I grew up in. And it worked well.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Old 08-19-2014, 11:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Free "chillow"

I found this little freezer pack abandoned at a schoolyard one weekend a couple years ago... glasses for scale.

Small and relatively thin and leak proof, it is easy to place around my body in the car. And it's easy to drop it inconspicuously into the freezer at work. It will get it's first use of the season tomorrow, probably.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	140819_001[1].jpg
Views:	110
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	15620  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

grey panther - '02 Mercury Grand Marquis
Team Panther
90 day: 27.15 mpg (US)
I just put on Window tint on today to help reduce the Air con load and make for a more comfortable ride. 20% on the sides and 5% on the rear and 5% on the header of the windshield. It looks so much better. Also
I turn the MAx Air button on only during deceleration to assist braking, then on vent to accelerate. It is amazing how long cool air will still flow.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronasauras View Post
... Also I turn the MAx Air button on only during deceleration to assist braking, then on vent to accelerate. It is amazing how long cool air will still flow.
This is what I always do in my wife's Subaru, and it is one of the few hypermiling techniques she has been willing to adopt herself. It works best with the AC on internal air recirculation, I think, since the inside air is initially cooler and dryer than the outside once you've been running the AC a bit.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Hey Balto I just went to Amazon and put in beaded seat covers. I don't have a part number, but I got the larger and wider type that cover the entire seat and seat back.
I'll just go with this one along with the tornado fan, thanks!

Amazon.com: Zone Tech Natural Royal Wood Bead Seat Cover Massage Cool Premium Comfort Cushion - Reduces Fatigue the Car or Truck or your office Chair: Automotive

The Following User Says Thank You to Baltothewolf For This Useful Post:
The donkey CRX (09-28-2014)
Old 09-28-2014, 07:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

MLGeo - '95 Geo Prizm
90 day: 33.73 mpg (US)

MLTacoma - '09 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 21.3 mpg (US)

MLBRZ - '22 Subaru BRZ Premium
90 day: 27.94 mpg (US)
Silver lever

Quote:
I use a beaded seat cover and a "Tornado" fan that blows a strong breeze directly at my chest and head. I got both items on Amazon, but you can also
get the fan at a Pilot Truck stop for about $25. The beaded seat cover was about $33. It allows your sweat to evaporate as the air circulates between you and the seat. I guess that's why you see so many drivers in other countries using items like this.

I also turn on the fan in the dash on outside air (no A/C) to bring in fresh air since I also have my windows rolled up for aero.

This works great up to about 90 degrees outside and I am able to tolerate it up to about 98 degrees.

OK, I need to ask, what is the silver lever with the button on top next to the driver seat?
Old 09-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
I use this thing, it's like a giant coolie. I put it in the fridge for about fifteen minutes, and it keeps my back chilled for the entire drive. It stiffens up into crystals when cooled, but if I forget it and leave it in the car all day it turns to liquid.
Got it for like twenty bucks when I was driving the Black Widow, which didn't have any AC, and I still use it in the Turtle, it's awesome!

Turtle has dark tint all around, and I also use sun shades front and rear. The rear is such a long windshield at such a low angle, what I did was get the giant size sun shade for suvs. I fold it over and shove it in the top hinge area, then pull it tight (longways) and slam the latch. This keeps the sun shade tight against the window. There is a little bit sticking outside the car in the rear, and it punched a hole in the sun shade, but it works great, and I'm sure it's keeping the battery way cooler using it. The car is barely warm when I get in, and I live dead center in the state of Florida. Between the tint, sun shades and my coolie for my back, I rarely use the AC.

I also have the rain deflectors on the doors which allow me to keep the windows cracked open all the time. They don't seem to affect the aero much, so I kept them on the car since they're so convenient.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	15929  

Old 09-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
I use this thing, it's like a giant coolie. I put it in the fridge for about fifteen minutes, and it keeps my back chilled for the entire drive. It stiffens up into crystals when cooled, but if I forget it and leave it in the car all day it turns to liquid.
Got it for like twenty bucks when I was driving the Black Widow, which didn't have any AC, and I still use it in the Turtle, it's awesome!

Turtle has dark tint all around, and I also use sun shades front and rear. The rear is such a long windshield at such a low angle, what I did was get the giant size sun shade for suvs. I fold it over and shove it in the top hinge area, then pull it tight (longways) and slam the latch. This keeps the sun shade tight against the window. There is a little bit sticking outside the car in the rear, and it punched a hole in the sun shade, but it works great, and I'm sure it's keeping the battery way cooler using it. The car is barely warm when I get in, and I live dead center in the state of Florida. Between the tint, sun shades and my coolie for my back, I rarely use the AC.

I also have the rain deflectors on the doors which allow me to keep the windows cracked open all the time. They don't seem to affect the aero much, so I kept them on the car since they're so convenient.
A friend's mom makes those cooling things from scratch, she makes one that go over the head, like a do rag, bandana ones and little neck strip ones. They work freaking awesome. When you slammed the sun shade in the hatch, doesn't that make the hatch leak? Because may do this myself, because it's hotter than hell when I get in my car in the day time.

Reply  Post New Thread