Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I use an electric shaver mostly then touch up with a disposable blade.
Thanks, I'll try that. We got a pair of Gillete promotional disposables somewhere.
I shave after showering for the same reason. (*)

My wife shaves her armpits with one of those single blade old school razors exactly like that in the second picture of the first post.
I've tried that one on a day's harvest (when it had a pristine new blade, obviously) but was not too pleased; one bleeding wound per square centimeter or so.
But let's see what it does after ten minutes of semi pointless buzzing.

(*) About showering.
I used to let it run for 20 minutes or so, completely forgetting about time.
I spilled a lot of water and heating gas that way.

Now I use a shower timer set to 5 minutes. I start the timer, shampoo the hair, open the tap a little bit to add just enough water to make it foam, then soap my hair and my body.
Then I open the tap and while waiting for the temperature tpo rise before getting under it, I wash myself with the foam. When it finally gets hot I go under the stream and clear off the soap.
If I do this all well focused I am rinsed clean of soap and shut the tap even before the timer erupts. But sometimes I fall back into old habits and then the timer breaks it and puts me back on track.

We got the new water and energy bills a few months ago. And a nice refund on our monthly payment, that now has been downgraded substantially.

I like to think that I save a lot of energy and money by driving carefully and changing cars and so. But the change in my daily shower routine likely saves me more than all the effort I put into eco driving.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 02-09-2014 at 04:59 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

When I had to shave I look for discounts on the disposable ones.I got a few true razor blades that uses the blade you see in movies for dividing up lines of coke. Those I am saving to pass on to my kids one day. I also have a beard trimmer with an adjustable guard.

I typically use the trimmer to shave my head once a year,then let it grow back. I use it for other body hair to keep that in check. Nothing like wearing a short sleeve shirt in the summer and have hair sticking out the sleeve.

I also use the beard trimmer without the guard for the face to knock the hair down, then the disposable razor to get down to the skin. I toss the razor after using it.

Although Im somewhat of a germ freak I knew many guys when I worked at the bank who took a bag into the bathroom and pretended they were at home. They brushed their teeth, shaved and did like a lite sponge bath. I remember one guy telling me how he plans his poops at work to save toilet paper. I guess that makes your living cheaper, but you are still using someone else water, energy, toilet paper, etc.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
I use a Gillette Fusion razor. The heads are pretty spendy, but I balance it out by using them a long time. I generally shave with it 5 days a week. They recommend replacing the head when the green strip turns white, which is no more than a week or two. I used to use mine for about a month before replacing them, now I go several months. I think I've been using the current head for 6 months, I'll be sure to mark it on the calendar the next time I replace it. The shave quality goes down a bit with each use, but it seems to level off after a couple weeks.

I also have an electric razor that I use on the weekends when a close shave isn't required and I don't want to look scraggly.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 02-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Anyone use nair? How would that fall in here in an eco sense? What about laser or waxing?

Just thinking out loud. I use to shave and had to several times a day. I decided to quit fighting it and seems it only grows a few inches for my beard.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:13 PM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

sputnik - '93 oldsmobile silhouette
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

home sweet home - '92 ford clubwagon E-350 xlt

very excelant - '92 honda civic vx
i have only tried this twice, but i like a flame for my trim, on a wet beard, with a wet wooden comb beetween face and candle, i like that my beard was not sharp or scratchy. i don't know how close you could get, I like 1"+ but with a little care one could probably get within 3/8-1/2"... careful about eyebrows etc.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #46 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Uh, isn't "eco shaving" a euphemism for "...growing a beard..."?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
Cobb (02-11-2014), Econoguru (03-22-2014), Phantom (05-15-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Civic Type-DX - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
Uh, isn't "eco shaving" a euphemism for "...growing a beard..."?
Like eco-modding is a euphemism for walking? Sounds nice but reality dictates otherwise

Old 02-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #48 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
My criteria for shaving is that it has to look good to my wife, be quick to maintain, and be cheap.

My wife likes a short beard, so I trim with a Phillips Vacuum beard trimmer. It collects about 90% of the hairs to keep the mess down.

I still have to shave the stray hairs on my neck and cheeks, so I use a Mach3 razor, but buy the knockoff blades from Ebay. I bought the legitimate blades from Gillette and compared them to the knockoff blades and could not tell any difference. A blade lasts months since I'm not shaving my entire face. Also, the Mach3 blades fit my wife's Venus razor so she can use them on her legs. No more disposables for her.

For shaving cream, I just buy whatever is the cheapest per volume at the time. Usually this is on the bottom shelf at the store.

Tip- Most things that have the highest value for the dollar are located on the bottom shelf at the store. It's the expensive name brands that are positioned at eye level.

If I ever went back to shaving my entire face, I'd get a Norelco. It gives a close shave, the blades last forever, and you can shave in the car to save time The shaver will last a decade too.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 02-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
If I ever went back to shaving my entire face, I'd get a Norelco. It gives a close shave, the blades last forever, and you can shave in the car to save time The shaver will last a decade too.
But Norelco is just another name for Philips, they are just as good or bad as the Philips shavers.
They used to be good 25 years ago, but now you need new heads whenever there's a week in the month.
If I could lay hands on a good 25 year old Philips (or Norelco) I'd jump on the occasion.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:35 AM   #50 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ibiza Sportrider - '08 Seat Ibiza Sportrider
90 day: 52.83 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I got a few true razor blades that uses the blade you see in movies for dividing up lines of coke. Those I am saving to pass on to my kids one day.
Are you forward planning your kids coke habit already? Good to have it worked out early

Reply  Post New Thread