Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2020, 01:59 PM   #71 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Leaf - '17 Nissan Leaf SL

Outback - '16 Subaru Outback

Vaquero - '20 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
How are countries like Congo going to develop if we're going to place a social embargo on them by not buying their cobalt?

That's the story of every developing nation; that their cheap labor brings investments to their country and they use that to grow.

As an aside, there is a direct relationship between fossil fuel consumption and wealth. If we're talking about Congo growing economically, we're talking about growing their oil consumption for the foreseeable future.
Well, when they prove they stopped using child labor, like companies are doing to Chinese factories.

I hope that the economic success does not equal petroleum consumption going forward. Just like some countries never had a wide spread wired phone system, but instead jumped straight to cell phones, I hope that countries can jump over the older technologies and go straight to the newer ones...

But another source for CO2, concrete, I do not see how to avoid when an economy booms. As buildings, roads, bridges, and many things that are currently built with concrete I am not aware of another technology to replace it.

Sure, for some things, in some environments, rammed earth bricks will probably work fine for building... but not sure how else to fill all those other use cases.

The Following User Says Thank You to ldjessee00 For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (01-13-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #72 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
No child labor, competitive pay, eight-hour work days, forty-hour work weeks, sick days, paternity leave, benefits, and unions.

We deserve to only exploit the best!
Old 01-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #73 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldjessee00 View Post
Well, when they prove they stopped using child labor, like companies are doing to Chinese factories.

I hope that the economic success does not equal petroleum consumption going forward. Just like some countries never had a wide spread wired phone system, but instead jumped straight to cell phones, I hope that countries can jump over the older technologies and go straight to the newer ones...

But another source for CO2, concrete, I do not see how to avoid when an economy booms. As buildings, roads, bridges, and many things that are currently built with concrete I am not aware of another technology to replace it.

Sure, for some things, in some environments, rammed earth bricks will probably work fine for building... but not sure how else to fill all those other use cases.
There's nothing intrinsically wrong with children working... it's the dangerous working conditions or trading long term benefits like education for short term ones like cash now, that are the issue. Unfortunately Congo needs the cash now more than it needs to know trigonometry. It may even need the cash more than it needs working conditions we would perceive as acceptable. Things like education and better working conditions are luxuries to pursue once you've solved how you're going to eat in the short to medium term, and how to keep a roof over your head.

In my utopia, we'd send over civil and environmental engineers to plan resource extraction, and we'd send over healthcare and OSHA professionals to minimize undue suffering, but the fact is that Congo is an independent nation, and we don't have the authority to dictate minimum health, wage, and working conditions. They are responsible for that. Despite their suboptimal situation (to put it lightly), they still benefit more by selling the fruits of their labor than if there was no market for it.

I wish GDP and CO2 production were not tightly linked, and I expect that to slowly decouple over time, but we're just not there yet. My best guess as to the next 50 years involves an expansion of nuclear power. The philanthropist Bill Gates is pursuing that, and he's no dummy.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 01-13-2020 at 05:56 PM..
Old 01-13-2020, 02:54 PM   #74 (permalink)
toc
EcoModding Apprentice

Sonata97 - '97 Hyundai Sonata GL
90 day: 25.96 mpg (US)

Pulsar - '03 Nissan Pulsar ST
Team Nissan
90 day: 36.09 mpg (US)

Lancer - '04 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 31.11 mpg (US)

Lancer 2.0 - '09 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 27.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
There's nothing intrinsically wrong with children working... it's the dangerous working conditions or trading long term benefits like education for short term ones like cash now, that are the issue. Unfortunately Congo needs the cash now more than it needs to know trigonometry. It may even need the cash more than it needs working conditions we would perceive as acceptable. Things like education and better working conditions are luxuries to pursue once you've solved how you're going to eat in the short to medium term, and how to keep a roof over your head.

In my utopia, we'd send over civil and environmental engineers to plan resource extraction, and we'd send over healthcare OSHA professionals to minimize undue suffering, but the fact is that Congo is an independent nation, and we don't have the authority to dictate minimum health, wage, and working conditions. They are responsible for that. Despite their suboptimal situation (to put it lightly), they still benefit more by selling the fruits of their labor than if there was no market for it.

I wish GDP and CO2 production were not tightly linked, and I expect that to slowly decouple over time, but we're just not there yet. My best guess as to the next 50 years involves an expansion of nuclear power. The philanthropist Bill Gates is pursuing that, and he's no dummy.
Correct.

Well.. on everything except 50 years, we can do better than that..
Old 01-16-2020, 10:49 PM   #75 (permalink)
Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldjessee00 View Post
I am trying to find the source that lithium is some horrible to mine material... it is not.

"lithium requires 500k gallons of water for every ton of lithium carbonate extracted. In one area of Argentina, 65% of the fresh water is used in this process, leaving the farmers high & dry there. In tibet where there's a bunch of lithium, they have had a lot of leakage from these ponds that pollute the ground water of the people living there. Realize mining has always been a filthy process. There's all kinds of suits in the American west from the crap that the mines left behind when they went out of business, leaving it just sitting there, cuz while they're bankrupt, they don't have to fix anything now. When the mining companies leave, they leave just miles and miles of contaminated salt rivers and mounds of debris." - Scotty Kilmer 'Saying goodbye to my Toyota Celica's engine.'

Last edited by Galvatron1; 01-16-2020 at 10:58 PM..
Old 01-17-2020, 12:14 AM   #76 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
You misspelled "Shouty."

Let me guess, that video was clickbait.

Probably entertaining, though. Did he wave his hands?
elhigh (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
The beauty of an EV is that if you come up with a better battery, the rest of the car continues to perform as originally designed.

Come up with a less toxic battery chemistry? Better power density? Swap that rascal in. Make whatever changes are necessary to the power conditioning hardware but the rest of the car is, well, a car.

It's like an engine swap, except in this case it's more analogous to a fuel tank swap.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
Gasoline Fumes (01-17-2020), Xist (01-18-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 02:39 PM   #78 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
And the winners are...

1775 posts were made in the contest period. (If you want to know what your personal odds were: divide that by the number of posts you made. Your odds were one in whatever number you come up with.)

We used the True Random Number Generator at RANDOM.ORG - True Random Number Service to choose the winning post ID's from that range.

Congratulations!! Thanks to everyone for taking part, and especially Linear Logic for the ScanGauges.

Winners: please send me a PM with your snail mail details to claim your prizes.

WINNERS NOTE! Winners must claim their prize within 10 days of today (by contacting me/Daox via private message), or we reserve the right to draw another name in your place. We're not kidding - we've had to do this before.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Daox (01-17-2020), Ecky (01-19-2020), Galvatron1 (01-17-2020), Gasoline Fumes (01-17-2020), ldjessee00 (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 02:48 PM   #79 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
1st and 3rd links appear to be incorrect.

Congrats winners!

Thank you Linear Logic.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 02:50 PM   #80 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
The beauty of an EV is that if you come up with a better battery, the rest of the car continues to perform as originally designed.

Come up with a less toxic battery chemistry? Better power density? Swap that rascal in. Make whatever changes are necessary to the power conditioning hardware but the rest of the car is, well, a car.

It's like an engine swap, except in this case it's more analogous to a fuel tank swap.
Hopefully there will be aftermarket battery retrofits with more range for older EVs in a few years. Being able to change energy sources with no vehicle mods is a great EV benefit too. An EV charged by coal electricity can switch to renewable energy much easier than a gas/diesel vehicle!

2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

Reply  Post New Thread