Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2019, 02:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor95 View Post
Oh ok. I'm not sure if this was mentioned but you could switch all of your oils to synthetic and get a small gain.

With all that material you could build a nice underbelly skid plate.
Those are great ideas, thanks. I'll probably stick with conventional motor oil though as 302's are known for always leaking oil, and mine is no exception, but in the tranny and differentials I bet would make an impact.

The underbelly pan is a good idea too, and with the aluminum material we use it wouldn't weigh a whole lot either.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
Focused on MPG

Marinator - '06 Mercury Mariner Premier
90 day: 10.61 mpg (US)

SILVER BULLET - '19 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN GT
90 day: 19.6 mpg (US)

Myrtle - Wife's JKU - '12 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport
90 day: 15.7 mpg (US)
Window Sticker

I might be able to get you the identification codes for the suspension and axles for your truck, email me the VIN to ecoakj@yahoo.com and I will see if I can send you what I can pull up from the Ford parts and service catalog.

Staying Focus'd on MPG
Old 03-13-2019, 06:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

A tonneau cover will give you a solid 1-1.5mpg and if very affordable with great utility depending on what you use the bed for. A fellow on here has a 2000 f350 getting 26-27mpg and I've messaged him a few times and scowered google/ here to death.

Driver input and aerodynamics are the key with pickups.

tonneau cover-solid 1-1.5mpg, custom made aerocap/aeroshell easily 2-3mpg with a couple diy mods on the 65+ efficiency mods section. Air dam and side skirts will offer a good improvement but can reduce the utility of a pickup and not attract the dozen raised eyebrows when you pull up to a stop sign.

I ended up sticking with a tonneau cover for now because of how I use the truck and the long winters have prevented me from an effeftive air dam. My brother is looking into fabbing me a light cutom aerocap with either canvas or hard panels but that's a little in the future.

I've switched all to synthetic and saw zero improvement, added an intake, exhaust, and tuner and it helped ever so slightly and I mean ever.... look up bigdave on here and he has a ton of stuff for pickups he tested and posted results etc.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinooo9 View Post
A tonneau cover will give you a solid 1-1.5mpg and if very affordable with great utility depending on what you use the bed for. A fellow on here has a 2000 f350 getting 26-27mpg and I've messaged him a few times and scowered google/ here to death.

Driver input and aerodynamics are the key with pickups.

tonneau cover-solid 1-1.5mpg, custom made aerocap/aeroshell easily 2-3mpg with a couple diy mods on the 65+ efficiency mods section. Air dam and side skirts will offer a good improvement but can reduce the utility of a pickup and not attract the dozen raised eyebrows when you pull up to a stop sign.

I ended up sticking with a tonneau cover for now because of how I use the truck and the long winters have prevented me from an effeftive air dam. My brother is looking into fabbing me a light cutom aerocap with either canvas or hard panels but that's a little in the future.

I've switched all to synthetic and saw zero improvement, added an intake, exhaust, and tuner and it helped ever so slightly and I mean ever.... look up bigdave on here and he has a ton of stuff for pickups he tested and posted results etc.
I'll look up big Dave. I'm going to do removeable air dam and skirts. Already axed the intake resonator, and it came with a glasspack dual exhaust setup, and I'm planning to axe some other exhaust parts (wink, wink) soon
Old 03-14-2019, 04:29 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jeep - '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)

Blueberry - '07 Toyota Camry SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneajanderson View Post
I'll look up big Dave. I'm going to do removeable air dam and skirts. Already axed the intake resonator, and it came with a glasspack dual exhaust setup, and I'm planning to axe some other exhaust parts (wink, wink) soon
The intake resonator does have an important function, and I presume that mpg will decrease by removing it.

Get some ceramic paint or some wrap (if you don't have salted roads where you live) for your headers
Old 03-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
The intake resonator does have an important function, and I presume that mpg will decrease by removing it.

Get some ceramic paint or some wrap (if you don't have salted roads where you live) for your headers
I don't have headers, stock manifolds, but we definitely get salt up here. How much would ceramic headers help over the manifolds?

I'll add, my pickup didn't really have a resonator, it has a cold air duct that has this really restrictive cone shaped muffler, removing it allows much more airflow and it also makes it pull air off the driver's side exhaust manifold
Old 03-14-2019, 05:48 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jeep - '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)

Blueberry - '07 Toyota Camry SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneajanderson View Post
I don't have headers, stock manifolds, but we definitely get salt up here. How much would ceramic headers help over the manifolds?

I'll add, my pickup didn't really have a resonator, it has a cold air duct that has this really restrictive cone shaped muffler, removing it allows much more airflow and it also makes it pull air off the driver's side exhaust manifold
The best you could get is something ceramic coated from the factory. I've seen ceramic exhaust paint though but I'm not sure how well it works. Basically it's supposed to increase exhaust velocity and improve scavenging. Plus it will add rust protection.

My wife's car has the same thing. I think it is supposed to allow consistent airflow. But let us know if you see an increase in mpg.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:16 PM   #28 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
The best you could get is something ceramic coated from the factory. I've seen ceramic exhaust paint though but I'm not sure how well it works. Basically it's supposed to increase exhaust velocity and improve scavenging. Plus it will add rust protection.

My wife's car has the same thing. I think it is supposed to allow consistent airflow. But let us know if you see an increase in mpg.
I've had it off for a couple years, and yes it helped gain about half a MPG