Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Johnny Mullet -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
Wow. The old vacuum gauge I was using was an older one offered by JC Whitney and it did not even have a number scale on it, just a green "Economy" and a red "Power" display in it. I had no issues with it after 10 years of use in multiple vehicles until the needle fell off.
I ordered a couple of these last week and swapped one of them in :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/7771-post59.html
Quote:
Here is a vacuum gauge from the 1970's that did a similar thing to your speedometer suggestion :

MILEAGE MONITOR (vacuum gauge)
Auto Vacume gauge (vacuum gage) - Save gas and your engine
I got more than one because they're cheap and I want to be able to offer the option to my friends and family if they get the hyper/ecomodding/miling bug. The fellow I bought them from was also very nice. I think it is more accurate than the original one I got, but it also has an error. It is reading at the upper boundary of the "idle" zone when I am idling. As you can see in the above picture, the "off position" of the red needle is not in the white/zero area. That's what mine looks like when the engine is off. Since I have more than one, I was able to compare them. The other one I have is in the "off zone". Sooooooooooooooo, I plan to swap in the "accurate" one and see if I can turn the dial/background of the other one so that it is also reading accurately. This is actually stuff I like to do, i.e. get cheapy things and make them work better.

I still like the cheapy JC-Whitney one I originally got because the dial is more responsive (270 degrees versus less than 90 degrees). I might make my own custom "dial backing" if I have enough time to recalibrate/remap against a professional vacuum gauge.

Even when it's "broken", I am happy, because I learn something, .

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-10-2008, 08:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
That is pretty cool! I do miss the "Full Swing" of my older gauge, but I never order anything on the internet and like purchasing from local businesses. I could not find one like that anywhere local, but I already got used to the Sunpro and is seems to be a nice, quality gauge.

Thanks for sharing.

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

All gauges are inaccurate, as Gene Berg once said... For diagnostics, you have to spend some cash for the good ones. For general driving, you just need to plug them in and get used to the readings. If it's a lot higher or lower than normal, start checking things out, otherwise the engine is doing as well as it did when you installed the device.

I have a half-dozen or so gauges in my Vanagon. Each tells a different story, but after you learn the car, you can figure out the best methods for efficiency.

Laurence
The Following User Says Thank You to azlar For This Useful Post:
igotemptypockets (02-14-2013)
Old 07-21-2008, 10:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

My bulb just burned out on my vacuum gauge, so I am going to pop in a new one tomorrow. I was thinking of using a red or blue bulb instead. Maybe.

One thing good about this gauge is it will warn you of any engine problems right away! I had a vacuum line break on me while I was driving and my gauge was acting funny. It was fluctuating rapidly at idle and was not reading right when cruising. After fixing the line, it's all back to normal.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi there

I have a 20 year old Volvo 240 automatic 2 litre 4 cyl , the gearing seems quite good 2000 rpm = <>60 mph although it is only a 4 speed box.

Just done 610 miles , 430 on highway speeds around 60 mph rest town stuff but little congestion it returned 29mpg.

Would this gauge be worth fitting as I could only use it for my throttle setting and not when to change gear ?

regards Paul
Old 07-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Yes, it helps you maintain a constant, even throttle at cruising speeds and will help you save fuel.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yep, it's not only good for cruising speeds, but can help you maintain a steady acceleration to speed. Around town it really helps hone your eco-driving skills.

My '82 242 has one in a stock location in the center console. Looks good and is easy to read.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi guys

Thanks for reply , looking for one now.

Azlar - where did you take your feed from at the engine end , I don't want to upset any of the sensors/devices that may need the vacumn to work properly.

regards Paul
Old 07-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

The best place to patch in a vacuum gauge is a close source to the engine intake manifold. The closer to the engine, the better. Sometimes you can find a plugged port in the intake where you can remove the plug and install the adapter from the vacuum gauge in it's place. Do not patch into the brake booster vacuum source since this will allow the brake pedal to become hard after shutting off the engine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:
j12piprius (02-23-2011)
Old 07-27-2008, 09:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormbird View Post
Azlar - where did you take your feed from at the engine end , I don't want to upset any of the sensors/devices that may need the vacumn to work properly.

regards Paul
As long as your connections are tight, sensors should be okay. Mine has a t-fitting spliced into the line feeding the ECU. Was easy to run it back into the cabin without too many twists and turns. Doesn't seem to affect the computer.

Another good spot would be straight off the intake manifold. The port on the left is for the powerbrakes, the one on the right has a reduced diameter. Might be okay, but the middle is a full size connection. Just put a T in there and run with it.

The mounting was in an unused spot in the console. Bezel broke the other day, so need to find a new one.. This gauge doesn't have numbers, but if you drive it for awhile it will still give you good driving knowledge. I should probably calibrate it one of these days using my tune-up vacuum gauge, but this works fine.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vac1.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1278   Click image for larger version

Name:	vac3.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1279  
Reply  Post New Thread