Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
<snip>One thing id like to try and rig up long term is a ladder rack that either folds out, or is in some way aero. <snip> If I can build something that can duplicate it but fold down behind some kind of wind fairing, that would be the best of both worlds for me
Why create when you can contrapt? I mean, you're driving a minivan based on a pickup optimized for economy powered by a diesel which was never offered in the vehicle, provided by a manufacturer never associated with the vehicle, and considering adding a turbo that the engine never had before. When you're going over the edge, make it a swan dive. Go over with style.

I think a couple of manufacturers offer ladder racks that fold down - maybe. But even if they don't I don't see a reason why you couldn't fab a low profile one. You're obviously not afraid of your tools or of making changes to your vehicle. It won't be completely clean but you wouldn't have to assemble it when you needed it either, just pop a pin out, unfold, and pop the pin back in. Bob's your mother's brother and up goes the ladder. Add a little airfoil ramp ahead and behind the rack bits so that when folded it presents as clean a profile as possible.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #22 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,449 Posts
Quote:
its amazing how many people equate added HP with positive, and lowered HP with negative.
Makes me remember the reactions of a few dumb schoolboys when I told them about a Suzuki Vitara repowered by an uncle of mine with a 50hp Volkswagen 1.6IDI engine.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #23 (permalink)
JB3
EcoModding Lurker

Work Van - '89 Chevrolet Astro
90 day: 28.43 mpg (US)

240D - '83 mercedes 240D
wow this is an awesome website. Been reading up on some of the amazing projects people have completed.

so ive got a list of tradeoffs and things I could do and things I shouldn't too keep this as a usable work vehicle.

Things I have to keep-

1. Rear doors must open completely and not be interfered with
2. Sliding door must open completely and not be interfered with
3. Current length should remain the same (parking and maneuvering advantages of this particular van I don't want to lose
4. Have to keep the rear bumper (work van necessity)
5. Huge mirrors I must keep for towing and maneuvering, (though smaller side mirrors and strap on tow mirrors are a possibility)

Things I can do-

1. Baby moon hubcaps
2. Rear wheel covers (though passenger side might be an issue with sliding door)
3. Encapsulate the underneath
4. fairing for the wipers
5. Chin spoiler of some type
6. fold down utility rack that I hope to have drop beneath some kind of fairing

Thats just on aerodynamic mods, then I can can turn to the efficiency of engine components and such.

Id also like to preserve a reasonable ground clearance for job sites in rough areas, the rear of this van will actually be lifted approximately 1.5 inches once i get around to swapping out the rear spings.

If I am reading correctly, when doing a chin spoiler, it should come down to the lowest point of the underside and things should be flat from there?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,524 Times in 2,798 Posts
Quote:
wow this is an awesome website. Been reading up on some of the amazing projects people have completed.

so ive got a list of tradeoffs and things I could do and things I shouldn't too keep this as a usable work vehicle.

Things I have to keep-

3. Current length should remain the same (parking and maneuvering advantages of this particular van I don't want to lose
5. Huge mirrors I must keep for towing and maneuvering, (though smaller side mirrors and strap on tow mirrors are a possibility)

Things I can do-

1. Baby moon hubcaps
2. Rear wheel covers (though passenger side might be an issue with sliding door)

Thats just on aerodynamic mods, then I can can turn to the efficiency of engine components and such.

Id also like to preserve a reasonable ground clearance for job sites in rough areas, the rear of this van will actually be lifted approximately 1.5 inches once i get around to swapping out the rear spings.

If I am reading correctly, when doing a chin spoiler, it should come down to the lowest point of the underside and things should be flat from there?
A fresh set of rear springs will help a lot.
My suburban was sitting so low that the trailer hitch would scrape on some of the steeper curb ramps. It was also riding really rough even with new shocks, wish I had replaced the rear springs years ago.

I put a set of used C20 (3/4 ton 2wd) leaf springs on the rear of my suburban, it rides so much better now. The springs were not factory original to the truck they came out of, they had fresh paint.

With a chin spoiler or air dam the lower the better. Put it as low as possible with out tearing it off.

If you have 15 inch steel wheels you could throw on a set of these:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eel-22003.html
Old 07-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
Quote:
<snip>
Things I have to keep-

Things I can do-

1. Baby moon hubcaps
<snip>
I think you could go to full moon wheel covers. A lot of guys have done that here and gotten great results. Or just whip out some coroplast and fab up something quick-n-dirty, it doesn't have to be gorgeous just to prove whether it helps. (NOTE: I don't think anyone has ever come back to say it had a negative effect).

The chin spoiler, ideally, should be as low as the lowest projection on the van's underside. There are proponents here who say a full belly pan almost eliminates the need for an airdam, and a good airdam almost eliminates the need for a bellypan. Almost. With so many other things on the vehicle non-negotiable, I think if the bellypan and airdam combine for better results, go for it. Besides, looking under there you can see it's an aerodynamic hell. You almost can't make it worse.

Rear fender skirts shouldn't be a problem at all.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Good work, JB3.

What transmission did you use for your van?

There are a lot of old 80s Benzes out there starting to lose the battle with rust but their engines are still the same old bullet-proof design. Since your Astro is a S-10 pickup chassis with a van body, a small pickup project would seem to be feasible.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 07-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
JB3
EcoModding Lurker

240D - '83 mercedes 240D
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
A fresh set of rear springs will help a lot.
My suburban was sitting so low that the trailer hitch would scrape on some of the steeper curb ramps. It was also riding really rough even with new shocks, wish I had replaced the rear springs years ago.

I put a set of used C20 (3/4 ton 2wd) leaf springs on the rear of my suburban, it rides so much better now. The springs were not factory original to the truck they came out of, they had fresh paint.

With a chin spoiler or air dam the lower the better. Put it as low as possible with out tearing it off.

If you have 15 inch steel wheels you could throw on a set of these:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eel-22003.html
New rear springs are in the works. This van has original fiberglass rear leaf springs, which as the years go by, I get increasingly alarmed that one day they will crack. A company called overland vans carries a replacement upgrade steel leaf set that is bolt on I've been saving towards. Shocks are shot too, definitely looking forward to a new rear suspenion
Old 07-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #28 (permalink)
JB3
EcoModding Lurker

240D - '83 mercedes 240D
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
I think you could go to full moon wheel covers. A lot of guys have done that here and gotten great results. Or just whip out some coroplast and fab up something quick-n-dirty, it doesn't have to be gorgeous just to prove whether it helps. (NOTE: I don't think anyone has ever come back to say it had a negative effect).

The chin spoiler, ideally, should be as low as the lowest projection on the van's underside. There are proponents here who say a full belly pan almost eliminates the need for an airdam, and a good airdam almost eliminates the need for a bellypan. Almost. With so many other things on the vehicle non-negotiable, I think if the bellypan and airdam combine for better results, go for it. Besides, looking under there you can see it's an aerodynamic hell. You almost can't make it worse.

Rear fender skirts shouldn't be a problem at all.
I agree, I don't see how doing both could hurt in any way, especially with the other tradeoffs
Old 07-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
JB3
EcoModding Lurker

240D - '83 mercedes 240D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Good work, JB3.

What transmission did you use for your van?

There are a lot of old 80s Benzes out there starting to lose the battle with rust but their engines are still the same old bullet-proof design. Since your Astro is a S-10 pickup chassis with a van body, a small pickup project would seem to be feasible.
I'm using a T5, with non wc S-10 gearing and an astro specific shifter adapter. (Design of the van has th engine over on the passenger side a few inches so there is a special shifter t bring the stick over to the driver side). The engine and tranny are mated using a 4x4labs adapter kit, which is a pretty slick product

Interestingly the astro van chassis are a hodge podge of gm stuff. The van is actually a unibody with the front subframe from things like the caprice wagon, and the drivetrain frm the s10, k1500, ect. The 4.3 came in everything it seems
Old 07-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,524 Times in 2,798 Posts
Quote:
New rear springs are in the works. This van has original fiberglass rear leaf springs, which as the years go by, I get increasingly alarmed that one day they will crack. A company called overland vans carries a replacement upgrade steel leaf set that is bolt on I've been saving towards. Shocks are shot too, definitely looking forward to a new rear suspenion
Yeah I have seen those fiberglass leaf springs plenty of time, I don't know of any problems with them.
But even steel springs sag over time, so I don't see why fiberglass would be any different.

Reply  Post New Thread