Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Edison2 Very Light Car: Chapter 2

We now stand at the threshold of a new chapter for Edison2 - the nearly complete VLC 4.0 chassis, and the start of a VLC 4.0 brochure. I'd like to open this new chapter with a new Edison2 thread. Here are the previous threads on the Edison2 VLC:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ery-11841.html
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...und-13636.html
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...vlc-14610.html

To kick it off, Edison2 has asked for comments/feedback on a few pages from the upcoming VLC 4.0 brochure. The images below are for a two-page layout, showing left and right pages in a single view. This is why they're wide and short.

Above each photo are two links:
- link to full size photo
- link to leave comments on the image (name/email can be left blank)

The comments link is so comments/feedback can be in one place. It's a lot easier to retrieve than sifting through threads on multiple forums. Why this website? Unlike edison2.com, it's not being looked at by OEMs and potential investors and provides a low-profile space for getting feedback like this.

Again, name/email are NOT required to leave a comment. You can leave them blank. If you want to leave email contact info, Edison2 will put you on a list for early, exclusive info as it's approved and before it goes to general public. One more favor: Please hit "like" for Edison2's Facebook page for the latest news/photos. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Edison2/255167146132

Here we go!

Full size photo
Click to leave comments

Full size photo
Click to leave comments

Full size photo
Click to leave comments

Full size photo
Click to leave comments

This last image shows on the far right a completely redesigned [front] suspension. I'm sure that Ron Mathis was able to save weight and reduce the parts count. I'm looking forward to seeing the new rear suspension, too.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 02-05-2013 at 08:41 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
XprizeRoadTrip (02-05-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
Hopefully it's many miles before we find out, but I hope they are designing their systems so that they are easy to work on. I guess less parts automatically makes it easier, but I'd be interested to see if they've put any thought into that.

I'd love to see a push back to the backyard mechanic. But my hopes might be too high. Just sick of under inflated tires and people who can't change their own oil...
Old 02-05-2013, 01:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for posting Neil!

At the end of your post you describe the image as the rear suspension, but that's the front suspension, driver side, same as the photo next to it.

You're right though. They've both been redesigned, so much so that you're thinking the front is the rear - hats off to Ron Mathis on that one! IMO, that suspension looks both gorgeous and rugged.
The Following User Says Thank You to XprizeRoadTrip For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
The best description we have of this is "vital subsystem component":

This is how I would prefer the "two cars" page to look - the cars are closer and fill the page nicely, and the font is much better, too:

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 02-05-2013 at 06:50 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
XprizeRoadTrip (02-05-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
Hopefully it's many miles before we find out, but I hope they are designing their systems so that they are easy to work on.
That's part of the equation: simple, easy to maintain, easy to work on. Take the suspension for instance. Depending on final design, it's possible for the entire front assembly -- strut, spring, wishbones, hub, caliper, pads, disc, etc -- to come off as one piece with a handful of bolts.

At around 40 lbs, you can remove it, carry it to a workbench and repair without being under the car. How's that for easy? You can see what I'm talking about in the fourth image.

Speaking of image, it'd be great to get some feedback on those images. 200 views, but no one's participating.

Maybe there'd be more participation if the subject said:
"89 mpg gas, 244.8 MPGe electric, before ecomods or hypermiling!"
Old 02-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Tried to collaberate two years ago, was told to wait until after the contest, then nothing. Funny thing is I live in Williamsburg about 2-2.5 hours from your shop.

regards
Mech
Old 02-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I love the modular systems concept. With the VLC it could even be used with the drivetrain. Having a vehicle where you could drive it until the engine got tired, pull the engine, strap it to a skid and fedex it back to edison2 who would give you a core credit for a new/rebuilt one.

This addresses the concerns some might have regarding longevity of a 400cc engine driving a 4 passenger car.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Tried to collaberate two years ago, was told to wait until after the contest, then nothing.
The first post in this thread has a few images from an upcoming brochure.
Edison2 is asking Ecomodder members what they think of the images.
Each image has a link above it to click and leave feedback.

This is something Edison2 thought Ecomodder would interested in participating/collaborating in.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
I love the modular systems concept. With the VLC it could even be used with the drivetrain. Having a vehicle where you could drive it until the engine got tired, pull the engine, strap it to a skid and fedex it back to edison2 who would give you a core credit for a new/rebuilt one.

This addresses the concerns some might have regarding longevity of a 400cc engine driving a 4 passenger car.
There are multiple 42year old + 4 passenger subaru 360's still on the road with 200k and the original 360cc motor, true the owner did lots of regular irritating maintance ever 10k (replacing bolts & springs & cleaning & spark plug cleaning & carb crapola) but many are more or less original (many also are not and blew up with a hole in the piston but that stemmed from another issue not "quality" related.

So I would argue size does not mean reliability, hopefully they make sure in the case is doesn't. Since its is very easy to overbuild a small motor as compared to a big one with minimal weight variation.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XprizeRoadTrip View Post
The first post in this thread has a few images from an upcoming brochure.
Edison2 is asking Ecomodder members what they think of the images.
Each image has a link above it to click and leave feedback.

This is something Edison2 thought Ecomodder would interested in participating/collaborating in.
The last communication was from Brad Jaeger who, I believe, was an engineer on your original design which won the prize. My focus is powertrain related and I have patented my design. I was originally hoping to talk with Mr. Jaeger who seemd to be interested in my IVT drive system. I guess it is just outside of your current project focus.

Thanks for the response anyway.

regards
Mech

Reply  Post New Thread