Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2015, 11:45 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Anyone pondered that for you to have electric vehicles or indeed energy stored in a battery, you also need a reliable source of electricity.
If I had an electric vehicle that would otherwise meet my needs (& wants), electricity would not be a problem. I could easily handle all my driving needs with rooftop PV. (Granted, I live in one of the sunnier parts of the US.)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-10-2015, 01:11 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Tesla makes their own cars...they do not convert gas cars.
But they did to get their foot in the door. Google "Tesla Roadster"...

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 08-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
But they did to get their foot in the door. Google "Tesla Roadster"...
But the Roadster wasn't a conversion - that is, it didn't take an existing IC-engined car, rip out the motor, and install EV parts. They just chose to have Lotus build a body & chassis based on, but not identical to, the Elise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (08-12-2015), UltArc (08-12-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
But the Roadster wasn't a conversion - that is, it didn't take an existing IC-engined car, rip out the motor, and install EV parts. They just chose to have Lotus build a body & chassis based on, but not identical to, the Elise.
Toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe...

To aid initial development and greatly simplify getting safety approval, they used a platform for an ICE car, modified it as needed, and added electrical bits. I would still call this converting an ICE car, they just started the conversion a little earlier in the manufacturing process than you or I could.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea, far from it. It saves tremendously on R&D costs which is a huge hurdle for a new automotive manufacturer. But it's a far cry from designing an electric car from the ground up like they did with the Model S. Even with Musk's prodigious capital, I don't think Tesla could have started out with the Model S and been successful.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
The Following User Says Thank You to darcane For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (08-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 12:15 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
TBut it's a far cry from designing an electric car from the ground up like they did with the Model S.
Though letting Lotus do the body & chassis produced a much better result (IMHO, anyway) than the over-sized, over-accessorized Model S.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (08-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 01:16 AM   #36 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe...

To aid initial development and greatly simplify getting safety approval, they used a platform for an ICE car, modified it as needed, and added electrical bits. I would still call this converting an ICE car, they just started the conversion a little earlier in the manufacturing process than you or I could.

I'm not saying this is a bad idea, far from it. It saves tremendously on R&D costs which is a huge hurdle for a new automotive manufacturer. But it's a far cry from designing an electric car from the ground up like they did with the Model S. Even with Musk's prodigious capital, I don't think Tesla could have started out with the Model S and been successful.
Notice how Elio is "in process" for the past X years (no pun intended)? They are building everything on their own from scratch. Tesla made a proof of concept they could sell, THEN developed their own.

Though this is a partial truth, seven years ago they did do what you said- even if they stopped three years ago, and have been successfully building their own vehicles since then. I do think it was smarter to get a working platform and build off of it- kind of like how that nimble guy is using a Nissan frame for his, before building his own.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to UltArc For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (08-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #37 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
I'm feeling very entertained by all this today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
An Elio 0.8 or 0.9 back in 2013 would have fallen well short of all the dreamed of benchmarks that the Elio 1.0 hopes to hit.

Except one: It would exist.

It would also have sold. It would have been generating more attention than all the powerpoint presentations being given to investors and it would have been bringing money in the whole time- all with the understanding that it wasn't the ideal Elio, that the next Elio would be even better. There would be an active Elio owners' group building a cult instead of nothing but of an active Elio ridicule thread here.
Now if Paul Elio were working a decade before anyone had heard of Elon Musk, his wrongheadedness would be excusable. But Musk showed how it's done... and Elio is doing something else. He sure isn't in the manufacturing/automotive/whatever business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 08-12-2015, 10:30 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Musk had the luxury of selling... uh... luxury cars.

Of course, the Elio isn't a luxury car, but a low-cost three-wheeler. That doesn't mean you can't sell it on a luxury premise... the freedom of a bike with better weather protection, safety and maybe even AC.

So many things you could do better, faster, cheaper... if you weren't trying to milk government subsidies and loans for all they were worth...
Old 08-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #39 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Building any company from nothing takes a lot of time and capital. Using preexisting parts and designs where possible can save a lot of steps, allowing the company to have something to sell.

Elio didn't bother to design and build swivel chairs for his office. He didn't write his own office software or design software. He didn't grow his own coffee beans for the break room. If he did any of that he would have been dismissed as a lunatic.

But he isn't using off the shelf turn signal and marker lights, is he? Nooo, he had someone design them fresh. And he isn't considered an idiot.

He's identified a niche that isn't being filled. He could cobble together something to fill that niche and sell it at a profit while developing the one that does it best- and the early buyers would be happy to upgrade to the new one when it comes out. But he doesn't want to fill that niche- he's making his money without having to produce anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
jamesqf (08-13-2015), niky (08-19-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 11:31 AM   #40 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Something something naked emperor...

Reply  Post New Thread