Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #61 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
One other thing that I knew, but hadn't bothered to mention here yet, is that Electric Vehicles have a great history of speeding.

Electric Auto Association - Electric Vehicle History
"1903: First speeding ticket – it was earned in an EV...."

Also, the first taxi cab in New York City to get a speeding ticket was electric.

Of course, now we have the White Zombie, Killacycle, and maybe someday I will soup up a Citicar...

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #62 (permalink)
MNWCSULT

Hard Vr6 - '96 Volkswagen Passat GLX VR6
Speed 11-15 Over Limit

I have been hypermiling for almost two years now. When I started I used 11.5 gal/week. I am now just under 9 gal/week. My car is a 1997 VW Passat VR6.

Today I get a speed camera infraction notice in the mail 41 in a 30 zone. I did not at first recognize the area. So I did a google map and they have setup a speed camera at the bottom of a hill.

At the top of the hill is a red light and two blocks later is the speed camera. There is not another car in the shot coming or going.

I plan to ask for a hearing just to agrue the point. Just coasting down a hill out gear to save fuel and get slapped for 50 USD.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:17 AM   #63 (permalink)
EtOH

Cordelia - '15 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport
90 day: 37.83 mpg (US)
Whahaha! Looks like your souped up Metro finally got you into trouble. Great stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
I am surprised there are still 15MPH zones. Ever try to drive a manual transmission at 15 MPH? Great story Ben!
Wha? The college has a 15mph zone (to discourage Road Bingo during the high foot traffic hours). One day the campus police pulled over half(est) of the cadets for speeding into the campus (PT). The PMS(Professor Military Science) really got worked up over that one. I can idle down the road slower than that so that's what I usually do, if I showed up for PT I wasn't going to save any time speeding on campus. The campus buses would drive faster then me, but I always beat them pulling away from stops. It was a long strip of road to be doing 15mph, is all I can say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwcsult View Post
I have been hypermiling for almost two years now. When I started I used 11.5 gal/week. I am now just under 9 gal/week. My car is a 1997 VW Passat VR6.

Today I get a speed camera infraction notice in the mail 41 in a 30 zone. I did not at first recognize the area. So I did a google map and they have setup a speed camera at the bottom of a hill.

At the top of the hill is a red light and two blocks later is the speed camera. There is not another car in the shot coming or going.

I plan to ask for a hearing just to agrue the point. Just coasting down a hill out gear to save fuel and get slapped for 50 USD.
Why did this become a conversation about gasoline cars?

Old 04-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #64 (permalink)
MNWCSULT

Hard Vr6 - '96 Volkswagen Passat GLX VR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
The common thread about the speeding ticket perhaps! I am planning on converting my gasoline car to an electric which why I hang out on eco-modders in the first place.

Getting speeding tickets while attempting to conserve energy (electrical/gasoline) is what drew me here. Speeding tickets seem to be unintended results.

So another unintended result is to apparentlly cheese off another reader due to my speeding ticket coming in a gaosline powered car.

My sincerest apology.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #65 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
After I got the speeding ticket, in the horifically slow 15 mph zone, one of my favorite responses was "Get a speeding ticket again, only in a 65 zone!"

Of course we all want to encourage safe and attentive driving, as well as always obeying the law. However, having an EV that HAS THE ABILITY to go far beyond the legal limit sure sounds like fun!

One of my gripes against the Automotive X-Prize is that the vehicle must have a 100 mph MINIMUM top speed.

Apparently the X-Prize is encouraging speeding as well.

With the Open Source controller, I was easily able to get my car up to 65mph. I could have gone faster, but ran out of road, going into a lower speed limit zone.

For everyone interested in legal speeding in an electric car, please check out NEDRA

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 04-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #66 (permalink)
EtOH

Cordelia - '15 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport
90 day: 37.83 mpg (US)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwcsult
The common thread about the speeding ticket perhaps! I am planning on converting my gasoline car to an electric which why I hang out on eco-modders in the first place.

Getting speeding tickets while attempting to conserve energy (electrical/gasoline) is what drew me here. Speeding tickets seem to be unintended results.

So another unintended result is to apparentlly cheese off another reader due to my speeding ticket coming in a gaosline powered car.

My sincerest apology.
I almost forgot, Welcome to the forums.

Speeding is an easy topic online. I saw a conversation on another forum with one of the forum leadership talking about their new Corvette and they mentioned how fast they got it up to. That started a whole conversation with people chiming in how fast they went in their car. I'm still pretty disappointed in my fellow Christian mates about this . But it doesn't make any difference who does it in my mind. I was cruising at 73(approx, my speedo is off 12.5% and I was going 65mph) in a 70 zone and a cruiser pulled over the first guy that passed me. This wasn't the first time someone had the blue lights start shining in their rear view mirror as they tried to pass me, so it was enough to slow me back down to my normal 60mph speed before the cruiser even pulled over. Low and slow is my motto . If I want to race, I play NFS on my comp. Taking the DD to a race track isn't an option for me.

The X-prize is shameless about it too. But even my 98hp truck can hit 100mph once you remove the speed limiter after you upgrade the 92mph rated tires, some Ranger fans told me about that one. Building a vehicle that can hit 100mph takes some effort compared to just slapping a pre-production vehicle together, that's the only reasoning I could understand for their rule. I've used the rule of 70mph as a top speed for my design protoypes, but 60mph is easier since the odds of me driving through west Texas in a crosswind are pretty slim.

Reply  Post New Thread