Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 05:02 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
That could be. Is the Suzuki engine sourced from India? Notice the fineness ratio of the earlier design. It looks like the wheelbase is shortened as well.

But overall, I prefer the design elements of the VW Nils:

Especially the useable trunk over the Mustang-style bubble top on the Elios. Can you see this as a 3-wheeler? Those A-pillars look like they'd have a 5-star rating. It's even got bumpers.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #32 (permalink)
radioranger

Reasons for a trike include not having to meet the car registration in most states, big draw to some , why not a small diesel, run on only veggie,
Old 01-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Because a small, bespoke diesel compliant with vehicular emissions standards would likely push the price too high. Even if you have a small twin-cylinder, direct injection adds over a thousand dollars to the price tag (replacement injectors, brand new, are 600-800 dollars), on top of the extra cost of the turbocharger and stouter engine block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
That could be. Is the Suzuki engine sourced from India? Notice the fineness ratio of the earlier design. It looks like the wheelbase is shortened as well.

But overall, I prefer the design elements of the VW Nils:

Especially the useable trunk over the Mustang-style bubble top on the Elios. Can you see this as a 3-wheeler? Those A-pillars look like they'd have a 5-star rating. It's even got bumpers.
That is certainly pur-ty. Depends on where the motor is. But maybe a narrowed rear end would work.

-

The K10B is built in India by Maruti for Suzuki. Cheap motor with solid engineering, variable valve timing and Euro IV compliance. Besides that, you've got the Chevy 1.0 and the Hyundai/Kia Kappa 1.0, but those are made in Korea and might be more expensive for an outsider to purchase.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
The Elio Trikke(?) is front wheel drive - you can see the drive shafts in the video and/or the photos.

When the second person is onboard is when it will be the most "Cg challenged". The double lane accident avoidance maneuver test (which is taken at 45+mph) is what did in the Aptera;even though the front wheels on that were almost 7' apart, and the battery mass was low and forward as possible. The early prototypes were probably fine, but as they went to the "production ready" S0-1 they gained a whole lot of weight, and when the front suspension rolled to the side, the rear wheel was lifted onto an outer corner.

The Messerschmidt some linked to earlier in this thread was very unstable. The Cg must be as close to the two front wheels as possible; and they may regret shortening the wheelbase. The longer concept would be lower aero drag and more stable, all else being equal.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Like this?

I did a brain dump into a new thread at:http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post349438

Edit: NeilBlanchard -- Are you up early, or late?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I like to imagine a perfect world where american vehicles are actually made in america. All the parts. I also like to imagine a perfect world where politicians no longer exist and have been replaced by statesmen. Back to reality. I would trust an India made motor more than a chicom one. They kept the Royal-Endfield going and now it is even better than ever. Plus they they have their own line dance style. Almost rednecks. I wonder what a curry western will look like?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Imagine there's no countries... Your going to love 3D printers.

And have you seen any ?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
The Elio vehicle has been in the works for at least 3 years now:

Any love for NON ev tadpoles? Elio Motors - ApteraForum.com - Unofficial Aptera Car Forum

I am up early - and I have the flu...

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 01-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
The Elio Trikke(?) is front wheel drive - you can see the drive shafts in the video and/or the photos.

When the second person is onboard is when it will be the most "Cg challenged". The double lane accident avoidance maneuver test (which is taken at 45+mph) is what did in the Aptera;even though the front wheels on that were almost 7' apart, and the battery mass was low and forward as possible. The early prototypes were probably fine, but as they went to the "production ready" S0-1 they gained a whole lot of weight, and when the front suspension rolled to the side, the rear wheel was lifted onto an outer corner.

The Messerschmidt some linked to earlier in this thread was very unstable. The Cg must be as close to the two front wheels as possible; and they may regret shortening the wheelbase. The longer concept would be lower aero drag and more stable, all else being equal.
Oh, I know it's FWD... Was asking about the VW Nils.

The Aptera avoidance test was a disaster in more ways than one. I seem to recall a door popping open... How did they fix it? Anti-roll bars? Stiffer springs?
Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #40 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post

...that's why there is such a thing called 'The Golden Rule of Trike Design'. The first recumbent tadpole bike I made had very peculiar center-of-gravity shift dynamics, especially in hard turns. It had a penchant of quickly tipping me over. The Cg was largely biased towards the front axle but apparently it wasn't enough. The trike's rear passenger/cargo load will compromise spirited driving. Unless it has a tilt-turning geometry but still...follow the rule or else.

https://www.deferredprocrastination....-trike-design/

Last edited by botsapper; 01-07-2013 at 07:09 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to botsapper For This Useful Post:
freebeard (01-07-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, scam