Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
Ha, I thought of this thread immediately.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

gueff - '19 Mercedes Benz A250 4MATIC AMG
90 day: 30.55 mpg (US)
i see some around all the time but their not too good. for example sometimes when im approaching an early red light i go on the brakes at first to lose speed then i let go and coast. this way by the time its green im at a respectable speed. sometimes one of these guys just coast without brakes and end up stopping or losing speed to around 5mph until green. they also pull off very slowly whilr i briskly accelerate to speed limit. it really pisses me off if they are in front of me lol.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
One time last year I was driving to a baseball game and I noticed a guy in a car driving in the right lane going 55 in a 65. I wasn't sure if he was just driving slow or not, and since I was going to same speed, I watched him for a while. Sure enough, he was speeding up going down hills and slowing down going up them. It was the only time I've seen someone else hypermiling.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

b@stard child - '02 Chevrolet Cavalier
Every so often while stopped at a long light I'll hear someone else's engine start a few seconds before the green. More commonly I'll see another car coasting along slowly to a red light.
I had a guy in a commercial van behind me lay on his horn when I was doing that the other day. I think they call that 'hurry up an wait'
Old 01-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
It's not his gas and he's getting paid by the hour. When he gets to the light he gets a little break- shift into park and take a rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
Today, I coasted up( down really) to a stop light in the right lane with a Volvo 18 wheeler in the left lane, when I heard the driver of the truck shut off the engine and set the emergency brakes. The light had just turned red as we approached and it is a fairly long light, but I've never heard of a truck shutting off the engine at a stop.
That's because my coffee thermos rolled back into the sleeper. Again. And the danged fuel pressure sensor was setting a code. Again. Needs two minutes of engine off to "re-set". After I had my coffee mug re-filled and the light changed, enough time had gone by to get the computer "re-booted".
The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
JethroBodine (01-18-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongs View Post
Every so often while stopped at a long light I'll hear someone else's engine start a few seconds before the green. More commonly I'll see another car coasting along slowly to a red light.
I had a guy in a commercial van behind me lay on his horn when I was doing that the other day. I think they call that 'hurry up an wait'
When I drove into San Francisco one time, I remember that at almost every light I heard 2 other people starting their engine along with me at the green! That was a good day. However, I haven't encountered anyone doing that for a few months now.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Maxima - '02 Nissan Maxima GLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Haha, am I the only one on here that tends to treat empty roundabouts like autocross courses? Outside, heavy on the brakes, downshift, turn in late and gas it like no tomorrow...

There's a highway near me that has several roundabouts in a row, each connected by a quarter mile or so of straight road. I end up jetting through the corners and coasting in between. Figure it probably evens out.

Only ever met one other hypermiler on the road, and the Probe wasn't really even modded much (comparatively) at that point.
Nope I do too ! I love turning aggressively especially ramps etc., and if you coast enough before the turn you don't have to brake at all , and you can accel/coast throughout the turn accordingly.

The best is when you coast enough for the turn you have some typical impatient driver already on your butt who is getting off the ramp behind you also and then they do the typical braking pre turn and you just keep going and eventually gain 3-4 even 5 car lengths throughout the turn.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Civic - '01 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 39.15 mpg (US)

Civic Hybrid - '05 Honda Civic Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongs View Post
Stuff like that drives me nuts. I do my best not to hold anyone up, but people always get upset as I coast to a redlight.

It's always fun when they fly past you so they can stop at the light, then when it turns green they're flooring it from a stop as you coast past them at 40mph.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Annette - '04 Ford F150 FX4

Penelope - '08 Mazda CX-7 Sport
90 day: 23.47 mpg (US)
When I am driving in an area where the lights are closer together, I have developed a technique that seems to work better than any other I've read.

I imagine a line on the road halfway between me and the light, and act as if I am stopping at that line. I constantly revise that line so it is always half way between me and the light. I scrub off more speed earlier, and have the most chance of maintaining some momentum through the light. It's a nice form of cadence braking.

Then, when the light goes green, I take my mental note of how stale the next light is, and either continue coasting to the next light, or cadence accelerate to a line half way between me and the next light.

Sounds complicated in writing, but very simple to do.

Well, that's what I do, anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plasticuser For This Useful Post:
brucepick (01-26-2013), SpeedyCorky (02-14-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread