Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2022, 06:47 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
The biggest problem with Black Mold is people framing up a house in the rainy season and then enclosing it. They wind up tearing down a new house and rebuilding.

At least that's the way it was before the Californication where the rainy season was replaced with a smoke season.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-18-2022, 06:51 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The biggest problem with Black Mold is people framing up a house in the rainy season and then enclosing it. They wind up tearing down a new house and rebuilding.

At least that's the way it was before the Californication where the rainy season was replaced with a smoke season.
i saw some californians yesterday. it was 73 degrees and sunny in portland. pretty toasty in the mid day sun. they were wearing huge thick long down insulated jackets and boots and long pants
Old 05-18-2022, 09:46 PM   #43 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
has our Brazilian friend seen any of the Volkswagen SP2 s or Pumas???
I rarely see any SP2, didn't even remember when was the last time I saw one, yet once in a while I still see a Puma.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:58 AM   #44 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
i saw some californians yesterday. it was 73 degrees and sunny in portland. pretty toasty in the mid day sun. they were wearing huge thick long down insulated jackets and boots and long pants
Sounds more like Arizona's folk but could be from ELcentro or Mojave desert. Anything less that 80 degrees and they are physically cold.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:16 PM   #45 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
We have quite a few Pacific Islanders in our Portand plant. They will wear insulated Carhartt bib overalls in the summer.

It depends on what you are used to

Last edited by JSH; 05-21-2022 at 11:15 AM..
Old 05-19-2022, 04:25 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Sounds more like Arizona's folk but could be from ELcentro or Mojave desert. Anything less that 80 degrees and they are physically cold.
i actually moved from arizona to oregon. believe it or not, arizonians like chilly weather. thats why flagstaff is such a huge tourist town. arizonians also have a fascination with rain. they love it. californians hate rain, but arizonians romanticize it. so many arizona people move to oregon and washington and constantly are amazed at the fog and rain and how pretty it is

then again, arizonians wear jackets all the time. especially the teens, regardless of temperature. go near a high school and youll see black hoodies when its 120 outside...
Old 05-20-2022, 01:44 AM   #47 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
It depends on what you are used to
Being born in Porto Alegre, and having lived in Manaus when I was a toddler, I became much more used to the Equatorial climate.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:02 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Being born in Porto Alegre, and having lived in Manaus when I was a toddler, I became much more used to the Equatorial climate.
i grew up in florida and alabama for the first 25 years of my life. night and day difference between those places and the american west

the deep south and super humid and tropical and hot all year, there are no seasons or winter. now i can see beautiful snow and not deal with humid air!
Old 05-21-2022, 11:46 AM   #49 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
i grew up in florida and alabama for the first 25 years of my life. night and day difference between those places and the american west

the deep south and super humid and tropical and hot all year, there are no seasons or winter. now i can see beautiful snow and not deal with humid air!
I'm curious how long you have been in Oregon because it is very humid here for half the year during the rainy season. Summers are dry of course but the winter is very damp and humid. Moss will grow on cars if they are left parked outside. Mold will grow in your house if you don't regulate the inside humidity.

Inside you do need a dehumidifier if you don't have a furnace that also removes moisture. When we went from a forced air furnace to a ductless heat pump we had to add a dehumidifier. We pull about 3 gallons of water out of the air a day keeping our 1000 sq ft house at 60% humidity.

Birmingham, AL has an average humidity of 70%. Portland, OR has an average humidity of 73% (with 3 months above 80%)

Birmingham

Portland
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
freebeard (05-21-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 02:26 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I rode a tour bus through West Eugene once (I think maybe the Country Fair bus was on detour), and all the out-of-state people were commenting on the living roofs of houses under the tree canopy.

"Why don't they clean their roofs?"

Reply  Post New Thread