Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #31 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddles View Post
Do you mean this? I've already considered it, £450 seems like an awful lot for possible fuel savings that isn't possible to calculate until it's installed, also my car's 8 years old with 85,000 miles on the clock, I don't think I'll make the money back in fuel savings.

BTW my engine doesn't have common rail injection - just the bog standard direct injection. Opel/Vauxhall didn't use common rail injection on their diesels until 2004, well after everyone else have changed over. However, there is a tunit available for my car anyway.
Cool, there are so many DI, CR and so on variations of GM Diesel. I used to have an Astra with the Isuzu engine and before that a Nova TD.

Good luck, I shall follow progress.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Eddles's Astra - '01 Vauxhall Astra ECO4
90 day: 61.03 mpg (US)
Yeah, my engine was made by Isuzu as well. They seem to be well regarded as opposed to Vauxhall/Opel's own diesel engines.

My aim: to achieve 3L/100km.
Best tank @ 65mph: 864.2 miles 69.36MPGus 3.4l/100km
Old 11-24-2009, 04:42 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

you can find a boost gauge in a junk yard for a few quit. if not pull an MPG
gauge out of benz and reorient (clock it differently) it will do pressure as well as vaccum. great quality gauges.

also might i suggest an AIT gauge. interesting to see economy changes with warm and cool intake temps.

i had an isuzu once an 86 imark/kadet with NA 1.8 IDI - good engine!
Old 11-25-2009, 01:26 AM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_frontal_area View Post
you can find a boost gauge in a junk yard for a few quit. if not pull an MPG
gauge out of benz and reorient (clock it differently) it will do pressure as well as vaccum. great quality gauges.
Already brought a boost gauge months ago. Need to get around to fitting it tho. Sigh.

Quote:
also might i suggest an AIT gauge. interesting to see economy changes with warm and cool intake temps.
Don't most modern cars have an external temperature display nowadays anyway? Maybe not as accurate as an AIT gauge but wouldn't be very much different. Even my cheap bottom-of-the-range 8 year old Astra has one and it doesn't even have ABS. But on the other hand, all post 1996 cars in the USA can use a scangauge which will display the AIT anyway? Unfortunately my car doesn't have an OBD-II port so I can't use one :-( I've now got 4 gauges to fit and nowhere to fit 2 of them! :-) Would prefer a EGT gauge over an AIT one anyway.

So far in my experience there's not a lot of variation in relation to temperature for my engine. If you look at my fuel log you'll see the consumption have stayed fairly static despite a temperature range between -1 to 15 deg C since August. In fact the best tank was recorded on the hottest day of the year! This despite ppl telling me diesels get better MPG when its cold. Ah well.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:41 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
This despite ppl telling me diesels get better MPG when its cold. Ah well.
who told you that? that is an extremely subjective statement.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:03 AM   #36 (permalink)
The PRC.

You're not doing too bad as you are, I'm struggling to get an average of 60 MPG Imp on mine. Temp seems to make no difference either, I theorised that the air going through the turbo etc. would sort of smooth out any cold / warm extremes.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_frontal_area View Post
who told you that? that is an extremely subjective statement.
*Holds hands up* I'm only telling you what most people have told me. Read this page - this is where people told me diesels get better MPG when having colder air intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
You're not doing too bad as you are, I'm struggling to get an average of 60 MPG Imp on mine. Temp seems to make no difference either, I theorised that the air going through the turbo etc. would sort of smooth out any cold / warm extremes.
Actually, I'm fairly disappointed with my MPG figures! But I know I won't get significant increases without big spending or big modifications.

Anyway, what about the air flowing through the intercooler? Wouldn't different air temps cool the air differently?

Old 11-25-2009, 03:01 PM   #38 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Anyway, what about the air flowing through the intercooler? Wouldn't different air temps cool the air differently?
Yeah, my thought was though that without them then the turbo would basically warm air to the same degree - turbo temp being controlled elsewhere. A debate has been had in VRS circles about whether the PD160 intake from the equivalent SEAT helps power by allowing air to be cooller when it goes in, but my thought is that it makes little / no difference.

I would be interested in your techniques though. I did a tank at 60 or less and only got an additional 5 or so MPG over my normal leaden foot.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:08 AM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I don't really use any specific techniques - my commute to work is pretty much flat so I just set the cruise control at 60mph and aim the car where the road goes. The motorway on my commute is mostly 2 lanes which is annoying, makes it hard to overtake lorries (which trundle on at 54mph) without someone driving up my tailgate. There are billions of lorries on the M18/M62 for understandable reasons!

In cities, I try to brake as little as possible, and learn all the signal timings - it has gotten to the stage where at 4am, I drive at 10mph for a mile at a specific section of my commute, while someone else is booting it at 40mph, and when we both arrive at the final set of traffic lights, I've timed it so as soon as it turns green, I shoot past him and drive up the dual carriageway at the speed limit, then wonder how much fuel he has wasted driving at 40mph between traffic lights. It's a lot harder when the roads are not empty like 4am, so I just try to drive as smoothly as possible without pissing off too many people and minimise use of the brakes.

I use DFCO to slow myself down when driving downhill and in a speed limit zone, and coasting when going into a lower speed limit zone, and if not enough distance to coast, I use DFCO.

I try to park facing out - as my engine takes literally 15 minutes to reach its operating temperature of 87 deg C (really must check that thermostat).

It's hard to get good MPG out of my car when doing city driving as the environmental mods done by Vauxhall doesn't work at speeds under 40 MPH, and my car's very heavy. My Astra LS ECO4 gets the exact same urban MPG as a standard Astra LS

Old 11-26-2009, 08:08 AM   #40 (permalink)
The PRC.

Interesting. I'm still experimenting with some techniques. Its fun but my overall results are still disappointing so far.