Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #331 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
I searched that color scheme and it seems to be pretty popular based on the number of real buses found. But honestly that color scheme isn't my style. I wanted something different, which is why I went purple on the bottom.
Popular because it is an OG finish. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives...olorstype2.php

I used to be less of a purist when it comes to L-code colors. Then I started to see what it does to resale value and resaleability. The Ford-colored Beetle down at the shop has been for sale for months; it had $20K invested and is priced at $12.5K so it's a good value. The previous owner ordered the work and then was hit with a divorce so it's available for the balance; and it's not selling. Then there's the convertible in the background here:

Someone should get that one before it's finished and re-topcoat it with a stock color.
_________

Bummer about the fire, but my two Beetles went up in value a little that day.
_________

Do you chase neighborhood cats with that hippy bus? I would.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-09-2017, 07:04 PM   #332 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ChopStix — Was this the car lot?

http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2017/08/country-classic-cars-along-old-section.html

Old 08-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #333 (permalink)
Primer is still paint!

85 Chevy Pickup C10 - '85 Chevy C10
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Popular because it is an OG finish. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives...olorstype2.php

I used to be less of a purist when it comes to L-code colors. Then I started to see what it does to resale value and resaleability. The Ford-colored Beetle down at the shop has been for sale for months; it had $20K invested and is priced at $12.5K so it's a good value. The previous owner ordered the work and then was hit with a divorce so it's available for the balance; and it's not selling. Then there's the convertible in the background here:

Someone should get that one before it's finished and re-topcoat it with a stock color.
_________

Bummer about the fire, but my two Beetles went up in value a little that day.
_________

Do you chase neighborhood cats with that hippy bus? I would.

A lot to reply to:

Honestly I want a primered, less perfect, and less valuable VW since then it would not be as desirable to the purists.
I've taken a lot of heat when I used to share picture's of my Impala online. The old car nazi's complain about billet aluminum parts and wheels. Plus the EFI LT1/700R4 drive train is also a hot topic. I built it to drive. The same would be with a VW. Internet trolls would tear me up for cutting it up! But it would be daily driveable.

Yes on the fire. That is the place. I wanted those cars, and a few others. I have cash in hand. But such is life....

I would chase cats around if given the chance. I would not hurt them. But playful banter with an RC would be fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChopStix For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 04:58 AM   #334 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopStix View Post
I've taken a lot of heat when I used to share picture's of my Impala online. The old car nazi's complain about billet aluminum parts and wheels. Plus the EFI LT1/700R4 drive train is also a hot topic. I built it to drive.
I like some resto-mods, as long as they retain much of the stock look and any accessory is period-accurate. Let's say, 20" rims in an American landyacht from the '60s, is one thing that doesn't seem period-accurate enought. When it comes to engine and transmission, upgrading to newer ones is not so bad at all as it overcomes the criticism about older vehicles being less efficient and more polluting. Just to get back on topic: I used to not be so favorable to water-cooled engine swaps into air-cooled Volkswagens, but now fitting an EA827 into a Zé do Caixão actually sounds like a good idea...
Old 08-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #335 (permalink)
Primer is still paint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I like some resto-mods, as long as they retain much of the stock look and any accessory is period-accurate. Let's say, 20" rims in an American landyacht from the '60s, is one thing that doesn't seem period-accurate enought. When it comes to engine and transmission, upgrading to newer ones is not so bad at all as it overcomes the criticism about older vehicles being less efficient and more polluting. Just to get back on topic: I used to not be so favorable to water-cooled engine swaps into air-cooled Volkswagens, but now fitting an EA827 into a Zé do Caixão actually sounds like a good idea....
My 60 Impala is lowered a couple inches, with a slight hotrod rake. But not so much that it can't drive right over speed bumps. Its got 16" wheels for a slight side wall reduction without running bandaid tires, like 20's would have. It does have some kustom body mods. But nothing that reduces its daily drive-ability. It has after market suspension and large disc brakes for improvements over stock.

Some guys want race cars, or low riders, etc. I want vehicles that I can use for their intended purpose, to drive on the street. But with improvements over stock.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:33 PM   #336 (permalink)
Primer is still paint!

I thought this picture from Brazil was pretty awesome, had to share it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82_n.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	22470  
Old 08-21-2017, 09:07 PM   #337 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I drove through standing water up to the headlights to get under the troll bridge:

BamZipPow posted this in another thread:

Old 08-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #338 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts

Old 08-23-2017, 03:17 PM   #339 (permalink)
Volvo-driving MachYeen

Neo Volvo - '98 Volvo S70 10V
90 day: 24.98 mpg (US)
wait what, they made Polo sedans?

With Volvo to Valhalla and back!
Old 08-23-2017, 07:33 PM   #340 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That slipped right past me while I was realizing VW made an armored car.

http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2017/08/for-vw-bug-owner-that-thinks-they-have.html

Last edited by freebeard; 08-23-2017 at 07:45 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread