Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2018, 01:07 AM   #651 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Com Car - '06 Honda Civic EX sedan

Familycar - '10 Ford Edge SEL
Agree with curb appeal upgrade! Cut the bushes down to AT LEAST the bottom of the frontwindow, get rid of the non-descript plant at the beginning of walk and pressure wash all the concrete. Use the big circle attachment on pressure washer so you don't make "tiger stripes". Unfortunately exterior improvements like that won't increase the value of the house but will increase the likelihood of someone wanting to walk in.
Also clean all light fixtures and put in the highest wattage safely allowed.
Met a lot of people in same situation. A fresh set of eyes will revel the truth.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #652 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Aerokee - '97 Jeep Cherokee XJ sport
90 day: 18.22 mpg (US)

Scrambler - '74 Honda CL200 Motorcycle
90 day: 55 mpg (US)
Any updates on this? I'm now interested in doing a project like this myself. I've always wanted an old VW Beetle, and I also believe that the US's auto fleet needs to convert to electric/hybrid ASAP. I have the tools, the will power, the funds, the garage space...

...and I'm inspired! Thank you for posting all your knowledge and photos about this project, it's extremely helpful.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:56 PM   #653 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Bill, clearly it would be too late now but did you ever consider making it a rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive? The Prius engine and drivetrain could power the REAR wheels! Front wheels on the VW remain the same - steering, braking, etc. The Prius's steering stuff would need to be welded solid so that it can't turn. The throttle cable is a wire so that's no problem, but the shift lever is a cable (right?) so that might be trickier.

I guess the engine would need to fit in the trunk, would still be a huge challenge. Same concept could be applied to a pickup truck, and you could put the engine in the bed of the truck.

It probably wouldn't work or fit but it's a neat thought.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #654 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannydantyla View Post
Bill, clearly it would be too late now but did you ever consider making it a rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive? The Prius engine and drivetrain could power the REAR wheels! Front wheels on the VW remain the same - steering, braking, etc. The Prius's steering stuff would need to be welded solid so that it can't turn. The throttle cable is a wire so that's no problem, but the shift lever is a cable (right?) so that might be trickier.

I guess the engine would need to fit in the trunk, would still be a huge challenge. Same concept could be applied to a pickup truck, and you could put the engine in the bed of the truck.

It probably wouldn't work or fit but it's a neat thought.
Ever heard of the Pontiac Fiero? GM took the drive train and front suspension of a Sunbird and put it under the rear of the Fiero. It worked for them.

Actually I briefly considered using a SECOND Prius drive in the rear, but that would not have left much room for anything else.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill the Engineer For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-19-2020)
Old 10-22-2018, 08:19 PM   #655 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Any updates on this? I'm now interested in doing a project like this myself. I've always wanted an old VW Beetle, and I also believe that the US's auto fleet needs to convert to electric/hybrid ASAP. I have the tools, the will power, the funds, the garage space...

...and I'm inspired! Thank you for posting all your knowledge and photos about this project, it's extremely helpful.
Thanks for the kind words. Everything is in storage garages for now until I can get the new house built starting in the Spring. Then I will be able to turn and burn on the project year round!

Bill
aerohead (06-19-2020)
Old 10-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #656 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Aahhh, yes, house comes first! I understand that. I recently finished renovating my old house from floor to ceiling. My wife would not have been happy if I was working in the garage while the kitchen was half finished and we had no running water or something... haha. But before I bought the house I started on a '78 CB750 motorcycle project. That is still in the corner of the garage waiting for me to take the cover off of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mannydantyla For This Useful Post:
Bill the Engineer (10-23-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #657 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Bill, I'm going through your whole thread today trying to make sense of everything. Why did you not cut the Prius body to be narrower? I have a feeling you have a good answer for why not and I understand that the sections of steel under the rocker panels are structural. But maybe new structural metal (a sub frame) could have been welded further inward, either on top or underneath the floorpans..?

If there's any other advice for me, I'm all ears. I found a Prius that was wrecked in the rear and would be a perfect donor chassis+drivetrain.

P.S. The elecric Avanti is for sale again on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Avanti...d=292555698540
Old 10-26-2018, 08:42 PM   #658 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Bill, I'm going through your whole thread today trying to make sense of everything. Why did you not cut the Prius body to be narrower? I have a feeling you have a good answer for why not and I understand that the sections of steel under the rocker panels are structural. But maybe new structural metal (a sub frame) could have been welded further inward, either on top or underneath the floorpans..?

If there's any other advice for me, I'm all ears. I found a Prius that was wrecked in the rear and would be a perfect donor chassis+drivetrain.

P.S. The elecric Avanti is for sale again on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Avanti...d=292555698540
The strength of the Prius "sled" runs through the rockers into the outer A-Pillars and forward through the arms that support the drive train. If any of that is disturbed the stresses have no place to go and the body will fold at the base of the A-pillars below the front edge of the doors. The Firebird rockers are not strong enough to support that since it was basically a unibody from the cowl back. To replace those components with some kind of welded frame would be a HUGE project. All of the power train, suspension and fuel system would need new homes on it, requiring precision welding and machining.

I chose to keep the integrity of the Prius V "sled", adding the strength of the Firebird body where possible. The rockers will be covered with ground-effect flares to disguise them. That is the least complicated way forward that is structurally sound.

My advice for you is to find a combination that is already a close match in wheelbase and tread width. If you find a combination that interests you, run it by us here. (Start a new thread so everyone sees it.) A number of us will be able to advise you on the suitability.

Good Hunting!

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1338.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	25057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1340.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	25058  
aerohead (06-19-2020)
Old 10-26-2018, 08:52 PM   #659 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

This diagram may help.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prius V Underframing.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	25059  
aerohead (06-19-2020)
Old 10-26-2018, 10:23 PM   #660 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Engineer View Post
Ever heard of the Pontiac Fiero? GM took the drive train and front suspension of a Sunbird
Sorry, not the Sunbird. You're thinking of the Phoenix/Citation/Omega/Skylark quadruplets, the X-bodies. Sunbird was J-body, like the Cavalier.

The Fiero borrowed pretty much the entire front end of the X-body family and stuck it under the rear. I reckon if you could find a place to put the steering rack, you could make a Fiero rear-steer, the knuckles are still down there.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
convertible, firebird, firebrid, hybrid