Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 02:32 AM   #131 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Not out of her range, but it would be a learning curve for awhile until she got used to flipping it.

Realistically, it could get her a possibly better increase than orange4boy got, especially if she's always cruising around at lower gear/higher engine speeds. The TC lock would allow her to more properly load the engine down for better efficiency at a given speed.

I wouldn't scoff at the possibility of a 30% increase, honestly.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #132 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
If that 02 GP SE is geared anything like my 99, then there is little reason to do this. My wife's GP shifts as follows:

1-2: 10~11
2-3: 20~23
TCC lock: 26~28
4th OD: 41

I can drive around at 35 MPH with the TCC locked at 1550 RPM.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #133 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevyn View Post
If that 02 GP SE is geared anything like my 99, then there is little reason to do this. My wife's GP shifts as follows:

I wish the 94 was this way, I probably might have considered keeping it. Unfortunately, the '94 wouldn't TCC lock until after it hit like 48mph and was already in OD, and it would kick out at the slightest indication that you were coming off the accelerator, it seemed.

My Father drives Granny, now, and he can hold high gear at ~1600RPM @45MPH, though. 60MPH puts 'er up around 2000.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #134 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

pickup - '01 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 Sport
90 day: 16.35 mpg (US)

Focus - '16 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 31.46 mpg (US)
45RFE transmission

I have been doing some research on an on demand TC lockup for my Dakota. I'm not quite there yet but have learned some interesting facts.

It appears that if I can find the right wire from the TCM that it applies B+ to the L/R-CC solenoid. I haven't figured out yet if the battery voltage is on the solenoid and the TCM gives it a ground or the TCM actually applies voltage. It does use PWM for partial lockup but PWM is just the amount of time battery voltage is on or off.

It also appears that the 45RFE transmission I have is mechanically the same as the 545RFE, but with a different TCM program. What the 545 program does is provide an additional OD ratio of .67:1 in addition to the current .75:1 ratio.

Yeah, I know, I called BS on this until I researched it a lot. It is a matter of which clutch is engaged in which of the three planetary gear sets. Turns out Jeep has been doing this since late 01 and Dakotas since late 02 or 03. The problem with Dakotas is that the TCM was combined in to the PCM for the 545 so you can't upgrade. The solution, allegedly, is to get a TCM from a late 01 to 04 Grand Cherokee. I have found a couple in salvage (junk to me) yards for less than $100 and am looking in to getting one.

Of course this will only help highway FE. The quest for the on demand TC lock up and eventually controlling the gear selection continues.

If any of you have any info on the 45RFE about TC lockup on demand or controlling the gear selection, please let me know. I have found a lot of data and it's just a matter of analyzing it all.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #135 (permalink)

Hint - Industry standard is that electronics only provide ground...

If you look at injectors, shift solenoids, etc... the TCM/PCM/ECU/whatever you want to call it is always on the ground side of the circuit.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:30 AM   #136 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
What the hell do you think I've got here? :P
Mole hills, my friend, mole hills. Out here cars come standard with a rate of climb indicator and an altimeter. Pressurized cabin is an option.

Quote:

If you look at injectors, shift solenoids, etc... the TCM/PCM/ECU/whatever you want to call it is always on the ground side of the circuit.
I guess Toyota didn't get the memo. Mine are 12V+ The injectors are grounded at the ECU but not the shift and TCC solenoids.

Taredog, Glad to have you on board. I can't help you with yours but you will be blazing a trail for others that do. Did you look for a kit? There are kits for some vehicles that are not too $$$ and they would come with wiring diagrams. Also, did you try any Dodge forums? Lots of guys doing it there or know how to.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:34 AM   #137 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
Mole hills, my friend, mole hills. Out here cars come standard with a rate of climb indicator and an altimeter. Pressurized cabin is an option.

I guess Toyota didn't get the memo. Mine are 12V+ The injectors are grounded at the ECU but not the shift and TCC solenoids.

Taredog, Glad to have you on board. I can't help you with yours but you will be blazing a trail for others that do. Did you look for a kit? There are kits for some vehicles that are not too $$$ and they would come with wiring diagrams. Also, did you try any Dodge forums? Lots of guys doing it there or know how to.
Heh Heh... I laughed at that first part.

I might have to rescind that other statement, too... I'm not sure that "industry standard" in electronics actually applies to vehicles, so there are (obviously) going to be differences there.

I know that injectors are grounded, and I'm not sure why they're done that way, but I think it has something to do with the specific type of signal they use.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:39 AM   #138 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

pickup - '01 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 Sport
90 day: 16.35 mpg (US)

Focus - '16 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 31.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post

Thanks Christ. That is true but ya never know. I have seen some strange things in my comm/electronics career. I'll get it figured out as soon as I am back to semi-normal from a back prob right now.

The 01 Dakota does have a seperate TCM and PCM. Not what I call them, what Daimler-Chrysler called them then. Now Fiat-Chrysler?

I guess that's why they call the display a CMTC-Compass-Mini-Trip-Computer.

Regards man and thanks for all your info sharing.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:41 AM   #139 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taredog View Post
Thanks Christ. That is true but ya never know. I have seen some strange things in my comm/electronics career. I'll get it figured out as soon as I am back to semi-normal from a back prob right now.

The 01 Dakota does have a seperate TCM and PCM. Not what I call them, what Daimler-Chrysler called them then. Now Fiat-Chrysler?

I guess that's why they call the display a CMTC-Compass-Mini-Trip-Computer.

Regards man and thanks for all your info sharing.
NP, just make sure you check twice before you do anything, I may have been wrong on the TCM ground thing.

If you go to AutoZone.com, you can get wiring diagrams for your vehicle, they might have the one you need, which will tell you if it's common ground or TCM ground.

And, it's not technically Fiat-Chrysler, yet, I guess. Or has that changed again?

Old 10-24-2009, 02:17 AM   #140 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Daily Driver - '02 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 18.45 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevyn View Post

you don't have the same transmission than I, you have a different final drive, assuming you have the 3.1 vs 3.8. With the 225/60R16 tires I hit 3rd by 28mph, and it'll kick down to 2nd if I go much lower. 4th won't engage until 39mph. 3rd "locks" in the sense that the rpm shift is minimal, but it doesn't lock 1:1, and as speed increases so does the flex in the 3rd rpm range. So not real "lock" there. And 4th, or OD lock can't handle much torque before unlocking into 4th, and on some of the mountains here my speed decreases such going up that it has to backshift to 3rd to make it.

Tags
lockup, lockup switch, torque converter