Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I'll attempt it again later, I tried before and it wouldn't resize. That is lawn edging across the bottom, and man the car handles better now. I just have to be careful as the front end tends to scrape on tall speed bumps, driveway lips, etc. I did notice I am more stable in the rain than without the lip on. Next step is to test the side skirts, more lawn edging, and rear wheel skirts.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
These pics are great. Are you going to duct air directly through the radiator? You can use black plumbing pipe insulation, wedging it into the cravices, securing it with zip ties at key spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadwin View Post
What did you use for the bottom front lip?
He's using black lawn edging, same stuff I used, and I got the idea from Frank Lee and others on here... but they got it out of that great well spring of useful knowledge sometimes known as "redneck engineering". Awesome.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I swapped out grills a couple of months ago, and the only spot for air to enter the engine bay now is a slit about an inch tall above the front bumper. It goes right through the radiator and keeps the engine plenty cool, no ducting needed. I love the spoiler so far, and it was absolutely worth the investment.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentraguy View Post
I swapped out grills a couple of months ago, and the only spot for air to enter the engine bay now is a slit about an inch tall above the front bumper. It goes right through the radiator and keeps the engine plenty cool, no ducting needed. I love the spoiler so far, and it was absolutely worth the investment.
Watch your running temps as the days get warmer in North Carolina this spring. You might want to open a small area in your current grill block and duct it and the 1 inch crevice in your upper grill, so that no air can go around the radiator, but rather all has to go through it. It helps in the warmer seasons.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thanks for the advice, my truck was horribly prone to overheating in the summer time. I have toyed with making an adjustable vent that goes to a lawn mower throttle mounted on my center column. This would enable me to open up for more air if the car starts running hot.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mazda Protege5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 31.65 mpg (US)
Holy cow...that thing looks like a lifted 4x4! I'd do something about that wheel to fender gap!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I wish we could buy shaped lawn-edging like that here in the UK! Makes a really nice looking job of it.

All I can find is 1mm thick flat stuff...
Old 03-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

SoCal, I am working on finding a combination tire upsize, suspension lowering that will fit and be affordable enough to justify. I have debated a partial front wheel skirt, but that is just a mental though right now. Those Sentra's have dang good wheel travel off road btw.

Kingsway, you may be able to order that kind of edging online, if you are willing to pay for shipping. It is less than $6 in my part of the country.

Today is a warm day, so I will see how the bumper effects engine temps. Hopefully I don't need to rig up a vent.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentraguy View Post
SoCal, I am working on finding a combination tire upsize, suspension lowering that will fit and be affordable enough to justify. I have debated a partial front wheel skirt, but that is just a mental though right now. Those Sentra's have dang good wheel travel off road btw.

Kingsway, you may be able to order that kind of edging online, if you are willing to pay for shipping. It is less than $6 in my part of the country.

Today is a warm day, so I will see how the bumper effects engine temps. Hopefully I don't need to rig up a vent.
The cost of shipping from the US is pretty scary... I paid nearly double for an Ultraguage when you add shipping and customs duty
Old 03-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

It's been a long time since I have been over your way, I completely forgot about the customs duty. Have you tried to look for some rubber seal for the bottom of a garage door. I had a friend of mine use that for his car. He had to reinforce it, but it is still holding up.

Reply  Post New Thread