Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Pizza Geo - '92 Geo Metro
Last 3: 47.52 mpg (US)

Blazing Glory - '07 Yamaha C3
90 day: 108.96 mpg (US)

The Beast - '86 Pontiac Subird
90 day: 15.6 mpg (US)

Mom's Firefly - '92 Pontiac Firefly
90 day: 35.65 mpg (US)

Noris - '08 Toyota Yaris
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Mirage - '15 Mitsubishi Mirage
90 day: 48.11 mpg (US)

Japan - '08 Suzuki Alto
90 day: 45.88 mpg (US)
Gas Pods - Anyone try them?

Just curious about these gas pods I read about and whether anyone's tried them out and/or whether the science behind it seems sound or not.

I read about it here: Make Your Car Look Like An Evo In The Name Of Fuel Economy

Also: How Lobster-Inspired Winglets Reduce Drag, Increase Fuel Efficiency | Autopia | Wired.com

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...highlight=pods
Old 11-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Pizza Geo - '92 Geo Metro
Last 3: 47.52 mpg (US)

Blazing Glory - '07 Yamaha C3
90 day: 108.96 mpg (US)

The Beast - '86 Pontiac Subird
90 day: 15.6 mpg (US)

Mom's Firefly - '92 Pontiac Firefly
90 day: 35.65 mpg (US)

Noris - '08 Toyota Yaris
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Mirage - '15 Mitsubishi Mirage
90 day: 48.11 mpg (US)

Japan - '08 Suzuki Alto
90 day: 45.88 mpg (US)
From browsing that thread, they sound marginally helpful only if applied in a way that specifically suits your vehicle, basically. (And harmful if done incorrectly)
Old 11-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I can't resist:

Bless me father for I have sinned.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Crono (11-26-2012), mcrews (03-15-2013)
Old 11-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Bottom line, they're crap. There is no way some dongle placed on the rear, front, side, or bottom of a car is going to return any appreciable gain in aerodynamic efficiency. Keep in mind that the main cause of drag is form drag, or pressure drag on a road vehicle. This is only affected by changing the gross shape of the vehicle. Skin drag is pretty much insignificant and isn’t affected by these gas pods generating turbulence anyway since the air on a car is almost always turbulent to begin with. So you have a product claiming to do something that is already in place on a car. The air which is "Disturbed" by the passing of a vehicle extends out several feet in each direction, it isn't just the air 3 inches from the skin. If you don't believe me, then you haven't been paying attention to the grass and trees directly alongside a car or truck as it passes them.

This topic has been discussed with the owners of the company already. GasPod Discussion on Ecomodder They stand behind their "Computer Simulation" results, but have no desire to do any real world ABA testing such as coast down or max speed down an incline. These tests would be easy as heck to do and the results fairly significant. I have a hunch they have done these tests, found no benefit, and know themselves they're selling a dream with no real science to back them up. All they have is anecdotal stories of people who use them and have X,Y or Z savings over time. Peoples stories are no way to prove a benefit due to the extremely variable nature of fuel efficiency from week to week, month to month, person to person of vehicles. Besides, whose going to buy these for $70-130 and come back and report they haven't done anygood?

They have a Facebook page too GasPods on Facebook
Old 11-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoPlotting

Sliver - '12 Hyundai Elantra limited
Team Hyundai
90 day: 35.1 mpg (US)

t-ruck - '06 chevy Colorado Lt
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)

Bob - '09 Harley Sportster Nightster
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Pearl - '14 Toyota Prius C 3
90 day: 48.1 mpg (US)
I found the same exact thing at pep-boys for $12. You could always buy some of those and try them out. Save yourself a ton of money over buying the gas pods.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Check out responses by those who have tried GasPods

And, discount those by individuals who have not. All criticism is made by individuals who refuse to try them. There is a tally of early field results by drivers, previously unknown to the company, logging a minimum of 2,000 miles both with and without GasPods on their car, on this page of gaspods website under its press section and running down the side bar of its research page --- I'm too much of a newbie on ecomodder to post links.

One who is posting their results ecomodder under the thread heading:
accord-newbie-27-8-36-2-mods-23570.html

I am with the Company, all but the Volvo posted, which is mine, are not.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne View Post
And, discount those by individuals who have not. All criticism is made by individuals who refuse to try them. There is a tally of early field results by drivers, previously unknown to the company, logging a minimum of 2,000 miles both with and without GasPods on their car, on this page of gaspods website under its press section and running down the side bar of its research page --- I'm too much of a newbie on ecomodder to post links.

One who is posting their results ecomodder under the thread heading:
accord-newbie-27-8-36-2-mods-23570.html

I am with the Company, all but the Volvo posted, which is mine, are not.
I think you're trying to link to this.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post339459

That's not exactly a very scientific testing procedure. While he did see gains, he admitted there were other factors affecting his fuel economy at that time.

I don't know of anyone who's specifically and scientifically tested airtab/gaspod/vg's and found a significant improvement in aerodynamic drag. As a company spokesperson, perhaps you could point us to a comprehensive, unbiased test?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sven7 For This Useful Post:
2000neon (11-22-2012), California98Civic (11-22-2012), mcrews (03-15-2013)
Old 11-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
I think you're trying to link to this.
Had to snip your link to the honda accord post since I'm too much of a newbie to post links.....

That's not exactly a very scientific testing procedure. While he did see gains, he admitted there were other factors affecting his fuel economy at that time.
Yes. The other factor was low tire pressure, which actually diminished the differential between his logs without GasPods as compared to with GasPods on his Accord. In other words, they performed better than here reported.
Quote:
I don't know of anyone who's specifically and scientifically tested airtab/gaspod/vg's and found a significant improvement in aerodynamic drag. As a company spokesperson, perhaps you could point us to a comprehensive, unbiased test?
Any project that has the variety of variables of driving requires a process to validate. Our protocol was to start with personal testing. Once that passed, foot the bill for Computational Fluid Dynamic (CFD - simulated wind tunnel testing). We chose a firm whose clients include NASA, Boeing and just about every player in the Auto industry. Once again, I'm too much of a newbie on ecomodder to post the links showing more on this.

The third step is gathering field data. That is what our Test Team, clients logging 2,000 miles both without and with GasPods on their car is about. It will take awhile, but the validation will be there for a large segment of vehicles, and for some, a pick up truck, or a city driving Yukon Denali with roof racks, for instance, the results will be insignificant.

A little anecdote here, I love anecdotes... The aeronautical engineer who managed the CFD study hand delivered the results, and during his presentation, he specifically pointed to the diagrams showing skin friction coefficient of the GasPods on the vehicle tested, and said, "Had you made your GasPods any taller, longer or wider, you would have picked up drag, but you hit it right on the point before this...."

That's Bob Evans' (our Chief Designer and Director of R&D), he visualizes fluid flow. I've sat with consultants for NASA, with whom we've worked, and I've seen them turn with amazement at some point he makes, and say, "I've never met anyone who understands fluid dynamics the way you do." They're particularly amazed because he is not a physicist or an engineer. He's a visionary and an artist.

Last edited by Susanne; 11-22-2012 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: to remove response from within quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne View Post
Yes. The other factor was low tire pressure
It's just not correct that there was just one other variable in his testing. Other variables he undoubtedly is encountering and apparently not controlling for would be ambient temperatures, tire pressure variation, humidity, pavements, throttling, city/highway mix, routes, wind patterns, drafting around other cars in traffic with him, and probably others I am not thinking of right now.

BTW, I think you have reached the five post threshold and should be able to post links now.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (11-26-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread