Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #41 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,523 Times in 2,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion411 View Post
No chance of a backfire blowing out your rings with one of those Wankel engines. and could potentially blow my rings if I don't spend $400/hr on a dyno having the engine tuned.
Where do you get this stuff?
Back firing doesn't damage piston rings.
There is no condition I know of that could hurt the rings on a factory turbo charged engine.

Quote:
To do full conversion I have to figure out how to disengage my injection pump.
How would you control ignition timing at that point?

What ever happened to the lawn mower carb on the toyota?
Just decided not to touch that one?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #42 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Orion, you need to learn the difference between skeptic and hater. You're the one who comes in here making a bunch of unsubstantiated miracle claims about some intake contraption that improves fuel economy and runs on piss. When someone asks you how a lawn mower carb can be utilized on a Toyota pick-up so we can maybe try it ourselves, you claim it's a secret.

Everything you write and say smacks of a snake oil salesman looking for suckers to sell to. We aren't a bunch of 12 year olds in here, we've all been around long enough to know bogus when it shows up.

Here's my question, if 97% of the fuel gets combusted in the engine, and the automobile is at best 20% efficient at converting chemical energy into locomotion energy, and you claim to be getting twice the mileage normally gotten out of a Subaru, so which part of these percentages have you improved so dramatically? Since there is only 3% left on the table for combustion, and this if it were somehow increased to 100% it would only get a 0.6% improvement at the wheels.

See where our big WTF is with your claim? We know that if you make an engine 100% efficient at burning fuel, this translates to a .6% improvement in mileage, or a 30 MPG car would get 30.18 MPG, not 68 MPG.

Lucky for you, I'm guessing Insurance Tycoons and Government Leaders are unaware of these facts. Unlucky for you, if they do figure it out....you'll be in their third world nation. But I suppose you haven't thought that through very well given your track record of working on voodoo combustion enhancements that put you $400K in debt over the last few years.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

GEET works

Ask yourself why so much gasoline has to be dumped into the engine and then get captured in the catalytic converter. Once you have that answer then you might be able to see how using ALL the gas you put into the engine could allow you to get better mileage, plus allow you to remove the cats and sell those to recoup some of your costs.

I'll leave you guys with this bit of knowledge from MIT and their Plasmatron, which they developed after visiting Paul Pantone. Notice how their patent got bought and their device never saw the light of day.

Cleaner, Higher Efficiency Vehicles Using Plasmatrons
Daniel R. Cohn
Plasma Science and Fusion Center
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Presentation to Fusion Power Associates Meeting
Washington, D.C., Nov. 21, 2003
Research supported by Dept. of Energy Office of FreedomCAR and Vehicle Technologies and by ArvinMeritor
--Engine efficiency can be substantially increased by
----Ultra lean burn (high air/fuel ratio)
----High compression ratio
----Strong turbocharging (allows for engine downsizing)
*With 30% of the fuel reformed reduced gasoline usage by 40%
If average fuel efficiency of US fleet of cars and light duty vehicles is increased by 20%, yearly fuel savings would be 25 billion gallons of gasoline (equivalent to 70% of oil presently imported from the Middle East)

Now ask yourself why this technology got shelved if it could reduce our consumption of Middle East oil by 70%.

The GEET plasma vortex fuel reformer works a whole lot better than the Plasmatron.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #44 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
The last time I gave plasma they gave me cookies and O.J.!

Old 10-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hot Tamale - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
I'm selling my 2005 Subaru Legacy GT so I can buy a cheap Mazda with a rotary engine. No chance of a backfire blowing out your rings with one of those Wankel engines.
You might want to rethink that idea. The Wankels get very poor mileage and send a lot of unburned hydrocarbons out the exhaust. In fact it's so bad that they had to use a "reactor" (Mazda's term, not mine) to burn up all the hydrocarbons in the exhaust to meet emissions requirements. And they have terrible problems with the rotor seals. Good luck to you, though, if you decide to try it. Post back with your results.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #46 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
OK, tell us how much gasoline gets into the catalytic converter, after 4 years of research, this number should be second nature to you. Compare that to the amount being burned in the engine and tell us if that yields a 100% plus increase in fuel efficiency. "So Much" is kind of a hard to define number. Tell us how much. Do you know yourself? Or is that a trade secret too??

If you are incapable of answering this simple question, how do you expect anyone here to believe a single thing you say?
Old 10-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #47 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Trolls and Unicorns: they go together.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
rmay635703 (10-08-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #48 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
2005 Subaru Legacy running two fuel injectors getting 68MPG.
89 SR5 Toyota pick up running on a lawn mower carb.
Seems pretty useful to me.
Any members in Utah want to visit this guy? When folks talk about their car X getting whatever because of something magic I figure its worth a trip to see even if its smoke and mirrors Good shows sometimes.

Anyway

There are methods of making the subaru get 68mpg and several of them don't involve GEET, for example having a small efficient motor designed to have ideal BSFC at 15mph or so and drive 15mph or so could do it.

Folks are willing to believe and would LOVE FULL DOCUMENTATION.

If you did it for real be proud and show us exactly how you are doing it. Then you can change the world, or maybe not.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #49 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
I'll leave you guys with this bit of knowledge from MIT and their Plasmatron, which they developed after visiting Paul Pantone.

Cleaner, Higher Efficiency Vehicles Using Plasmatrons

The GEET plasma vortex fuel reformer works a whole lot better than the Plasmatron.
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2003/plasmatron.html

Under development for the last six years, the plasmatron is an onboard "oil reformer" that converts a variety of fuels into high-quality, hydrogen-rich gas. Adding a relatively modest amount of such gas to the gasoline powering a car or to a diesel vehicle's exhaust is known to have benefits for cutting the emissions of pollutants. "Prior to the plasmatron reformer development, there was no attractive way to produce that hydrogen on board," said Cohn

I don't see how better pollution controls would save fuel over vehicles that aren't pollution controlled. AKA my 82 diesel Suburuban has no DPF and thus no need to use a plasmatron to fix its exhaust.

I have never seen a "plasmatron" for use upstream, only downstream, the reason it never came into play was because Diesel motor makers intelligently decided to omit 02 control on 07 and newer diesels and just treat the NOX with DEF as opposed to plasmatron it.

Next

"If widespread use of plasmatron hydrogen-enhanced gasoline engines could eventually increase the average efficiency of cars and other light-duty vehicles by 20 percent, the amount of gasoline that could be saved would be around 25 billion gallons a year," Cohn said. "That corresponds to around 70 percent of the oil that is currently imported by the United States from the Middle East."

Honda Insight and older Hondas got the 20% better FE without a plasmatron by running lean, the plasmatron is just another method of bypassing the NOX problem so we are allowed to run lean. Again there are other methods of lean burn available now such as GDI. Should anyone wish to use them. Even water injection can treat NOX very effectively.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #50 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

GEET works

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Back firing doesn't damage piston rings.
There is no condition I know of that could hurt the rings on a factory turbo charged engine.

How would you control ignition timing at that point?

What ever happened to the lawn mower carb on the toyota?
Just decided not to touch that one?
Maybe backfire is the wrong word. If all your fuel ignites instantly and your timing isn't retarded then you will blow your rings. This is possible with hydrogen only. Combine hydrogen with GEET and it's very likely to happen. This can't happen with Wankel engine. Ignition timing is controlled different ways in different vehicles. Any mechanic worth a job knows how ignition timing is adjusted for the vehicle they are working on.

As far as I know the lawn mower carb is still running the Toyota just fine. If you are asking why use that instead of a 2-4 barrel carb. It's much easier to connect a small lawn mower carb to a 1/2" pipe. It provides more power than the stock carb can provide without the GEET. Why would you want to use a large expensive carb?

Reply  Post New Thread