Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #51 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
When someone asks you how a lawn mower carb can be utilized on a Toyota pick-up so we can maybe try it ourselves, you claim it's a secret.

Here's my question, if 97% of the fuel gets combusted in the engine, and the automobile is at best 20% efficient at converting chemical energy into locomotion energy, and you claim to be getting twice the mileage normally gotten out of a Subaru, so which part of these percentages have you improved so dramatically? Since there is only 3% left on the table for combustion, and this if it were somehow increased to 100% it would only get a 0.6% improvement at the wheels.
I never claimed lawn mower carb on Toyota is a secret.

What you're not considering is that the plasma takes for example 72 elements and reforms them into 13 lighter elements. What happens when you split a heavy atom into smaller lighter atoms? You get more volume of a cleaner more volatile fuel. Like for example hydrogen.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

GEET works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
You might want to rethink that idea. The Wankels get very poor mileage and send a lot of unburned hydrocarbons out the exhaust. In fact it's so bad that they had to use a "reactor" (Mazda's term, not mine) to burn up all the hydrocarbons in the exhaust to meet emissions requirements. And they have terrible problems with the rotor seals. Good luck to you, though, if you decide to try it. Post back with your results.
Yes I understand that. What you didn't consider is that there are no unburned hydrocarbons with a GEET and there is much better fuel efficiency because you don't use as much fuel. I'm hoping to get at least double. I'd be happy with an RX-8 that gets 30-40 MPG.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #53 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
OK, tell us how much gasoline gets into the catalytic converter, after 4 years of research, this number should be second nature to you. Compare that to the amount being burned in the engine and tell us if that yields a 100% plus increase in fuel efficiency. "So Much" is kind of a hard to define number. Tell us how much. Do you know yourself? Or is that a trade secret too??

If you are incapable of answering this simple question, how do you expect anyone here to believe a single thing you say?
It depends on your application and the engine you have. So many variables, but you act like it's a set figure so you must not understand. In racing we dump fuel to keep the engine cool. Huge amounts of HC coming out the tail pipe. With GEET on that same race application we use less fuel and keep cool, because we have implosion happening as well as explosion (combustion). We don't have any HC out the tailpipe, which tells you we are using all of the fuel.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #54 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
There are methods of making the subaru get 68mpg and several of them don't involve GEET, for example having a small efficient motor designed to have ideal BSFC at 15mph or so and drive 15mph or so could do it.
I made it from Salina to Green River on empty with my Subaru WRX. I coasted neutral downhill whenever possible and never got my RPMs over 2000. Went 80 miles on an empty tank. Never thought I would have made it, but yep. You can get great mileage by driving with your hazard lights on and taking your time.

But that's another story... I'm talking about 68 MPG Subaru Legacy driving at freeway speed of 75MPH. I have no idea what BSFC is though. My Subaru Legacy GT gets 27 MPG if I have cruise control set to 75MPG.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #55 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
If you did it for real be proud and show us exactly how you are doing it. Then you can change the world, or maybe not.
My parents gave me great advice growing up. Don't throw your pearls before swine.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #56 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Honda Insight and older Hondas got the 20% better FE without a plasmatron by running lean, the plasmatron is just another method of bypassing the NOX problem so we are allowed to run lean. Again there are other methods of lean burn available now such as GDI. Should anyone wish to use them. Even water injection can treat NOX very effectively.
I suggest you find the Powerpoint Presentation that is out on Google search somewhere. There's a lot more information. This article you quote is one application. There are many applications for the technology.

Here's a fun video that shows just how much energy can come out of a little bit of petrol and water vapor.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:40 AM   #57 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)

I love this picture....It is what's in my head when I read stuff like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion411 View Post
What you're not considering is that the plasma takes for example 72 elements and reforms them into 13 lighter elements. What happens when you split a heavy atom into smaller lighter atoms? You get more volume of a cleaner more volatile fuel. Like for example hydrogen.

Chemistry 101 Orion. Elements are comprised of atoms which have a unique number of protons in their nuclei. All Hydrogen atoms have 1 proton in the nucleus, Helium 2 protons, Lithium 3 Protons, the main ones we really like are the afore mentioned Hydrogen, Carbon with 6, Nitrogen with 7, and Oxygen with 8. Now, it is possible to have odd numbers of neutrons in the nucleus of atoms, these are called "Isotopes". Here's the deal with Gasoline and Air, there are 4 elements involved in 99% of what gets dumped into an engine, they are Nitrogen and Oxygen which makes up 99% of the air, and Hydrogen and Carbon which make up 99% of the gasoline, if Ethanol is added, its formula is C2H6O, or again, Carbon, Hydrogen, and Oxygen.

Ya with me so far? 4 Elements big boy, that's it, Not 72, If you wanna start counting some odd trace elements of Helium, Argon, & such we could, but trust me when I say, they aren't significant...at all.

Now, these things get all mixed up and compressed in the engine and create combustion which makes the gas heat and expand pushing down on the piston. That's what it's all about, plain and simple.

These are indisputable facts here. Google yer butt off trying to find something that says otherwise and I'd love to read it, but you'll have to sort through a whole mountain of data and information that says exactly what I'm saying, except in more detail.

Now when you say:

Quote:
and reforms them into 13 lighter elements. What happens when you split a heavy atom into smaller lighter atoms? You get more volume of a cleaner more volatile fuel. Like for example hydrogen.
It makes me think that you're out and out screwing with us. You do realize that splitting heavy atoms into smaller lighter ones is the very definition of Nuclear Fission. So when you say this, you're telling us that you have figured out a way to harness atomic power and make it work on the intake of an internal combustion engine.

I'm not even going to go into the details of why this is crazy talk, it would certainly be lost on you.

This has now gone from try and educate Orion, to, what the frack is he gonna say next.

Do continue to entertain us.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:53 AM   #58 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Quote:
--Engine efficiency can be substantially increased by
----Ultra lean burn (high air/fuel ratio)
----High compression ratio
----Strong turbocharging (allows for engine downsizing)
I already have this.
Its called a turbodiesel engine.
(see sig)

Last edited by oil pan 4; 10-09-2012 at 01:59 AM..
Old 10-09-2012, 02:20 AM   #59 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Yeah, but implosions and plasmatrons sound sooo much cooler! If only we could work "vector" into it somehow...

Old 10-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #60 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Quote:
Maybe backfire is the wrong word. If all your fuel ignites instantly and your timing isn't retarded then you will blow your rings.
Nope, it still doesn't hurt the piston rings. It will damage several other things but not the piston rings.

Quote:
As far as I know the lawn mower carb is still running the Toyota just fine. If you are asking why use that instead of a 2-4 barrel carb. It's much easier to connect a small lawn mower carb to a 1/2" pipe.
Still no make model, year, engine size, horsepower rating or any discription what so ever for the mystery lawnmower carb?
If you cant handle the lawn mower carb question why should we believe anything else?

Quote:
Why would you want to use a large expensive carb?
I know why every one uses large advanced carbs.
Cold starting ability, idle quality, drive ability, smooth transission between idle, cruise, full power and having enough power to get up to speed is nice.
I see no advantage going from 4 barrel multi system 1970s carburetor tech or 1960s 2bbl tech back to primative 1920s single barrel tech.

Reply  Post New Thread