Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Camry MPG Modder

Camry CE - '00 Toyota Camry CE
90 day: 36.18 mpg (US)
Question Getting frustrated by lack of prior Aero modded Camry's

In searching for aero mods on this site and others including Toyota Nation I find little
(97-01) Camry specific aero mods besides lowering and body kits that combined would cost more then the car is worth.

Camry CE, 5 speed was rated at 32 (old) 29 hwy (new) EPA, weighs just shy of 3000lbs and has a Cd of .3. Local mpg down low 20's as its a "midsize" heavy car.

With millions sold I was hoping there would be more examples of mods done and tested.
I am looking for help and suggestions to improve aero/reduce Cd on my 2000 Camry CE(Cheap Edition) . Why a Camry? Because they ride smooth and quiet(great for long hauls) easy to maintain/fix(not often), can pull 2000lbs when needed, fits 3 sons and I comfortably for a few hours drive. (Every try driving a few hrs in a noisy, rattling tin can with 3 kids?)

Below I list what I have already done to the car that is NON-aero and I am a experienced Hyper Miler, used to get 29 mpg on my '74 Celica back in the early 80's.
PLEASE lets keep this thread to AERO mods.

So far I have achieved 35 mpg on almost pure hwy runs of 550-600 hundred of miles.
(I live in Maine and still maintain a consulting practice in NY, NJ, CT)

205/70-15 Yokohama Avid Touring S tires approx 6.3% oversize diameter.
Removed mud flaps.
Removed stock airbox/intake and installed basic cone filter with 3" pipe with cone filter
Discount Air Intake - 2000 Toyota Camry CE 4 Cyl 2.2L Air Intakes

Semisynthetic 5/30w motor oil and synthetic 75/90w gear oil in manual tranny.

Pics
2000 Toyota Camry Photos and Colors
Specs
2000 Toyota Camry Standard Equipment and Specs

Easier(as in inexpensive and doable) aero mods I plan to do.
1. Flat or racing moon hubcaps
2. upper grille delete
3. install mud flaps in front of wheel wells for now.
4. Remove passenger wiper arm/blade
5. Remove passenger side mirror and install small interior blind spot mirror.
6. Change drivers side mirror to a more aero racing type.
7. Coroplast under body front panel
8. Coroplast under body rear panel.
9. Front airdam/lower grille block/s

Wish list aero mods:
1. Rear Wheel skirts
2. Side skirts
3. Partial Kamelback. (not likely unless I get to retire early!)

Short term goal is 38 mpg, wish list goal is 40 mpg.

My overall goal is to keep the Camry as my long range cruiser and add a
used hybrid for around town/local and wifes work drive.

Any thoughts, guidance, links greatly appreciated.

MPG Madman, Pete

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Even if there aren't a lot of aeromodded Camries on this site or elsewhere, most of the mods done here will apply to your car. The only mods specific to sedans are trailing end aeromods, like an extended Kammback, or adjustments to your spoiler.

I think you'll find the grille block provides the biggest bang for the buck. I would also move the rear wheel skirts up the list. They shouldn't be too hard to do.

If you have fairings behind your tires and a smooth underbody, you probaby won't need the air dam and side skirts. If the underside of the car is smooth and orderly, there's not too much need to reduce airflow under the car.

I'm glad to see a madman here. Welcome.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Even if there aren't a lot of aeromodded Camries on this site or elsewhere, most of the mods done here will apply to your car. The only mods specific to sedans are trailing end aeromods, like an extended Kammback, or adjustments to your spoiler.

I think you'll find the grille block provides the biggest bang for the buck. I would also move the rear wheel skirts up the list. They shouldn't be too hard to do.

If you have fairings behind your tires and a smooth underbody, you probaby won't need the air dam and side skirts. If the underside of the car is smooth and orderly, there's not too much need to reduce airflow under the car.

I'm glad to see a madman here. Welcome.
I dunno about the boldfaced part above: Hucho shows an Opel Calibri in wind tunnel, depicted on this website, and the airflow is definitely not front-to-back under the car. In fact, due to bow wave effect, the smoke stream diverts ~60 degrees oblique and on at an angle into the inner sides of the front wheels/tires, then turbulently past and out into the slipstream beside the car. So, inwardly canted fairings could make a major improvement for the front wheels, and surely also fairings for the rear wheels, in both cases with the fairings properly aligned into the relative wind.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Check my posts on the 2002 Q45 grille block and underbelly pan. proved to be worth about 3+ mpgs for me.
You are running a SG and that is really key...in my opinion. You against the GAUGE!!! in real time. Not guessing on the gas gauge needle and waiting for the next fill up.
THe size up on the tires is also a winner for me. btw, what is your rpm at 60mph?
I'm at 1812 rpm at 60mph.
You didnt mention tire preesure? when I am on a road trip I run 49psi. around town I run 40. (i like the ride)
I would redo your check list: 2, 7, 8, 1.
If you do 7 edge to edge, there really is no reason to do a dam. you've smoothed uot where the air goes.
I intalled the IMPUL body kit several yrs before I found this site. ANd would still run it. I just happen to really like the look AND there is 'some' aero gain. What really helped the MPG was that the underbelly pan sealed all the edges so the air flows smoothly.

You certainly have the right attitude so GOOD LUCK and Welcome!
Old 05-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
test

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 05-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Camry MPG Modder

tks for the replys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
test
Today we (15 yr old son and I) made the Camry a Unibrow! Removed passenger wiper arm/blade and install a 26" blade on the drivers side. Jack says it sucks from his side but from where I sit its fine! lol

We also install Monroe quick struts as the left rear strut was leaking and car was "twitchy" at 75-80 when changing lanes.

As I spend like 90% of my driving time at Interstate speeds aero is where my gains are going to come from.

There is a "special election" here in town to replace a Selectman who is leaving office mid term. Lots of "free" coroplast sign-age about after the May 22nd vote!

The whole under body is a mess.

Current have tires at 38F, 36 rear. Will try 40/38 next trip. They have a max inflation of 51!

As I drive 4+ hrs at a time too hard a tire can make me weary and makes my old spine bones ache.

Hopefully next weekend I can get to "install" the mud flaps in the front of the wheel wells and try some flat makeshift hub caps. I really want to quantify/justify the expense of $120 for the fancy brushed stainless steel racing full moon hubcaps.
Figured I would try makeshift 15" coroplast flats hubcaps first. Problem I have too is sometimes i park/overnite in areas where the full moon/racing hubcaps might get swiped.

Pete
Old 05-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Camry MPG Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
Check my posts on the 2002 Q45 grille block and underbelly pan. proved to be worth about 3+ mpgs for me.
You are running a SG and that is really key...in my opinion. You against the GAUGE!!! in real time. Not guessing on the gas gauge needle and waiting for the next fill up.
THe size up on the tires is also a winner for me. btw, what is your rpm at 60mph?
I'm at 1812 rpm at 60mph.
You didnt mention tire preesure? when I am on a road trip I run 49psi. around town I run 40. (i like the ride)
I would redo your check list: 2, 7, 8, 1.
If you do 7 edge to edge, there really is no reason to do a dam. you've smoothed uot where the air goes.
I intalled the IMPUL body kit several yrs before I found this site. ANd would still run it. I just happen to really like the look AND there is 'some' aero gain. What really helped the MPG was that the underbelly pan sealed all the edges so the air flows smoothly.

You certainly have the right attitude so GOOD LUCK and Welcome!
The SG is the best thing since sliced bread!
I already got 35 mpg on my last Gen4 Camry when I lived in SC and "commuted" to NY.
Was 757 miles from my house to my mom's on LI in NY and the '97 Camry would consistently get 34-36 without SG. With a non airbox intake you can "hear" when a engine is "purring" like a bobcat!
But the ability to monitor TPS and MAP just take it to the next level. Ease off TPS, watch MAP and MPG rise while MPH remains constant or drops ever so slowly until the next downhill.

He's mad I say, he's MAD.

If we could take the 1.8 liter 18RC I had in my old Celica, run it with the ECU and EFI of this 2000 and lower the Cd to say .25 this Camry would make 40 mpg. A 6 speed manual would keep it FUN!

I did a experimental upper grill delete by simple removing the upper grille, a few bolts on top and snap in's on the bottom. Stretched a old tee shirt over it, pulled it tight around back and stapled it. Then sprayed it 3 or 4 times with old cans of spray paint.
Its was still cold out and that mad MPG jump from 33.5 to 34.5.

Removed it now that its warm out. It was experimental and pretty dam ratty looking.
Did not want to get pulled over in the local "revenue" generating ticketing that goes on here in "season". Plan to redo once I get some free coroplast.

Pete
Old 05-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Well, there's some glory in being first. Lewis and Clark overcame the lack of a trail, and were able to report that the land went all the way to the water. That was considered a great start.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmomni View Post
....and try some flat makeshift hub caps. I really want to quantify/justify the expense of $120 for the fancy brushed stainless steel racing full moon hubcaps. Pete
Huh? Why not give the pizza pan or candle holder idea a shot? Much cheaper, aluminum, and prolly better looking. If you can attach properly.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Camry MPG Modder

Local wally marts only seem to have the 16" pizza pans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Huh? Why not give the pizza pan or candle holder idea a shot? Much cheaper, aluminum, and prolly better looking. If you can attach properly.
How my cars appearance needs to stay "acceptable" as I do drive onsite to see clients and
if it gets too "abnormal" it could hurt biz.

What is the Candle holder idea?

tks, Pete

Reply  Post New Thread