Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiba View Post
I coast on the off-ramp, but maintain speed on the on-ramp. In other words, other drivers tailgate me on the off-ramp, I tailgate other driver on the on-ramp.
I do the same and most every "Off" ramp in this area also has stop lights, in most circumstances I am quite glad if someone passes me to set off the stop light so I can simply drive through.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Kai Spec Motoring VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 50.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
in most circumstances I am quite glad if someone passes me to set off the stop light so I can simply drive through.
ecomodder style right there!
Old 07-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
On on ramps I'm more concerned with a smooth and safe merge into traffic than maintaining a constant speed. A car with buffers ahead and behind is safer than two cars joining the road together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 07-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Another story I just though of...

Everyone who knows basic traffic signs knows that when you are merging onto a highway via the on-ramp, you need to yield. A couple years ago I was driving along the highway in the right lane. A couple cars were slightly behind me in the left lane and were in the process of passing me. No other cars around us. A guy in a Toyota truck is on the on-ramp. From my visual calculations he would be able to merge in behind me with plenty of space. I chose not to slow down/speed up, or merge over (because of the people passing me). My visual calculations proved wrong because this guy decided to speed up beyond my highway speed on the on-ramp. As his lane met the highway, we were side by side. I could not merge over due to the passing cars. Knowing that he has to yield, I continue driving. Instead of slowing down like a normal person to merge in behind me, this guy continues to drive on the shoulder, never slowing down. When the left lane traffic clears, I merge, and then he merged.

The only reason I can think of is that he was a really macho guy that needed to "have it his way".

Old 07-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiba View Post
I coast on the off-ramp, but maintain speed on the on-ramp. In other words, other drivers tailgate me on the off-ramp, I tailgate other driver on the on-ramp.
Yeah, that's one of those minor recurring annoyances, whether I'm on an on-ramp or on the freeway with other people trying to merge. Why can't they understand that you should be moving at highway speed before merging into the travel lane?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 42.77 mpg (US)
A car passed a string of 6 or 7 cars on a long sweeping curve, too long to see around the string of cars. He did not have enough room to make the pass. I was driving in the opposite direction.

I went on the shoulder. The car behind me went on the shoulder. The car behind me was a state cop. Sometimes there IS a cop when you need one.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
Sometimes there IS a cop when you need one.
I've had that situation many times, where I see someone doing something really stupid and illegal with no cops in sight.

But a few months ago I was driving in town on a multi-lane road. I was coming up to an intersection ahead. The light changed from green to yellow and I knew I couldn't make it through the light so I started to slow down. I also spotted a cop car at the turn lane in the intersecting road. He was at the front of the turn lane, trying to turn left to go east, the same direction I was facing. At the same moment I was relieved I didn't try and make the light, I see an SUV in the lane next to me speed up to run the light. Sure enough, the SUV ran the red light, not even close to making it. It was red before he even entered the intersection. Since I knew a cop could clearly see this, I thought, "Finally! A cop when you need one!". I also watched the cop in the passenger seat watch the SUV go through the intersection. His head turned and followed the SUV, which was the only car in the intersection. But to my surprise, the cops didn't go after him or pull him over. They waited a few seconds for their light to turn green, and then proceeded like normal.

I guess they were at the end of their shift and didn't want more paperwork.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Houston Texas 1983. Driving north on I10 in bumper to bumper traffic. Moron behind me is flashing his lights for me to pull over and let him pass. No place to pull over, anyone who has ever driven in Houston understands this. It can be a two hour crawl to go 12 miles. Finally I pull over and let the idiot pass. He is screaming at me so I give him the one finger salute. He pulls in front of me and three kids, can't be more than 3rd grade are all giving me the one finger salute from the back seat. All that to get past one car in crawling bumper to bumper traffic.

One road rage incident on the Houston Beltway, two drivers get into a verbal confrontation outside of their cars. One guy pulls a 7 iron out of his bag of golf clubs and proceeds to beat the other guy to death, right there on the side of the road.

regards
Mech
And you remembered this incident for, what... 30 YEARS???

You gave "the salute", and it came back to you threefold.

Is that your point?

If so, it's a point well taken.

When in an encounter with an aggressive driver, just smile and wave.

It's disarming. Literally.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

redyaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 45.54 mpg (US)

Gray - '07 Suzuki GS500 F
Motorcycle
90 day: 70.4 mpg (US)

streamliner1 - '83 Honda VT500 streamliner
Motorcycle
90 day: 75.63 mpg (US)

White Whale - '12 Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van
90 day: 22.01 mpg (US)
While turning right from one 4 lane major road onto an other 4 lane major road, in the city, there where three cars in front of me on the merge lane. The front car moved as if to merge then slowed down the two cars behinde closed on each other then the first car did the same thing again but this time the two tailgateing cars hit the fisrt car when it slowed down again... I could see the posability right from the start and backed off to keep out of trouble. When the driving lane was free I drove past the three car pile up and wondered why the two tail gating cars could not see the potential hazard...!
I wonder if they learned anything from there experiance, but some how I doubt it...?
Old 07-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
So I'm cruising the '59, going about 34 in a 30 towards the far end of town, and about 1/4 mile before the 55 sign this stupid ***** passes! In a 30 zone- no passing zone- the main drag through town! Then a couple miles before I get to the next town another tard in a pickup just haaaad to pass- on a curve no less! I'm going 55 in a 55- then I'm pretty much riding his tail the whole way to my destination (MY speed is unchanged) and I'm left to wonder what exactly he gained from that. Did he win? Win what?

Last edited by Frank Lee; 07-31-2013 at 01:52 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread