Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Classifieds > For Sale
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
A bit harsh Blue, but I can't really disagree either. My folks did fine raising me and my sis in econoboxes and sedans... of course, my dad got mileage like an SUV but that was as close as we ever got to one.

But Mech is right -- now is probably the best time to get an SUV from some dealer desperate to offload them (so they can bring in next years SUV... which will then sit on the lot). I wouldn't but I can see some people going for it. Not all SUV's are hazards on the road but the amont of fuel they consume doesn't make sense to me unless people really believe gas will drop to pre-Bush Jr levels?

I wouldn't take that bet.

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

V-strom 650 - '07 Suzuki DL-650 V-strom
90 day: 55.03 mpg (US)

07 Focus ZXW - '07 Ford Focus ZXW SE
90 day: 30.09 mpg (US)
Canadians have the answer: get a small car and a roof rack. Yeah the roof rack will cut your mileage the 1% of the time you use it... but the rest of the time you're golden.

Here in Virginia Bch, we get a lot of visitors from Canada... whenever we see a car with a roof rack, we joke: hey there go the Canadians. Amazingly enough, we're usually right.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

pontiac trans am - '00 pontiac firebird trans am

jeep 1 - '02 jeep wrangler
90 day: 16.76 mpg (US)

jeep 2 - '07 jeep wrangler x
90 day: 19.39 mpg (US)

Toyota - '09 Toyota Corolla lx
honestly, i think for a child a metro is not necesarily a good choice, but then again an suv isnt either, i would go for a civic though, plenty of trunk space for extra gear and easy to reach back seat (easier if you have the 4 dr) and i am sure the same is true for most current econo cars (excluding the yaris and smart car of course :P)
Old 07-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
My buddy with a Toyota Echo has a kid and 2 dogs and is selling the echo as he picked up a 97 Honda odessey. He gets half the mileage but doesn't usually drive to far so its not a big cost for him. He did talk about fuel prices for the first time though when he drove to a friends cottage though, he was used to filling up once a month but those days are over...

My two dogs stay at home so I'm thinking of getting a small enclosed trailer when I need a bigger vehicle. Some thing like the Goldwing motorcycle riders tow but bigger and with a longer tongue so backing it up wouldn't be a chore... I might have to build one but the market for something like this must be getting bigger all the time.

I do need my unsporty utility vehicle for its true 4x4 low range capability with a ladder frame (snow plowing) and I think I've got the most efficient one available but its still not very efficient compared to similar sized cars...

Ian

Old 07-31-2008, 09:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sandstone Princess - '99 Chevy Sububan LT
90 day: 21.04 mpg (US)

Joe - '02 Nissan sentra XE
90 day: 43.9 mpg (US)

Regal - '03 buick Regal LS
90 day: 33.85 mpg (US)
It seems that most of the members of this forum have a true hate for people who own or drive SUVs. I think it's more of them semi-anonymously venting their feelings to people on this forum. Why not go out and protest to people who live in any house that is larger than 1000sqft as this is all a person really needs to live in, the rest is a luxury.

My wife and I used to try to figure out why people liked SUVs until the day she was hit by a drunk driver. She was in our little economy Nissan Sentra XE and the other driver was in a early 90's Honda Accord. My wife suffered severe damage to her L4 and L5 disks. It took three years of surgery and physical therapy before she could even remotely get back to the way she was before. Her neurosurgeon told us to either get a much larger vehicle or the next thing she picks out would be a wheel chair. We tried a Toyota Camry wagon but, she was always afraid of getting in another wreck. I found our 2WD Suburban on ebay in early 2001. It's been paid off for four years now and we dread the day we have to get rid of it.

I would ask that all the people in this forum not be so judgmental to people in these things until they truly understand what is keeping many SUV drivers attached to their trucks. I think your time would be better spent resolving fears people have, making them drive a larger and safer vehicle. It's much easier for some of you to slam a Suburban driver than to go slam someone at a local bar when they get in their car inebriated. Get the drunks off the road and I will crush my Suburban!!!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrv6 View Post
It seems that most of the members of this forum have a true hate for people who own or drive SUVs.
Maybe you provide some examples to support your position.

I went back and read my post; what I get out of it is I have a hate (strong choice of words) for people who think that they are helping me by attempting to harass me in to purchase a vehicle over 6000lbs. And that I attempt to make the best of people who have decided to think that well.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 07-31-2008, 08:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sandstone Princess - '99 Chevy Sububan LT
90 day: 21.04 mpg (US)

Joe - '02 Nissan sentra XE
90 day: 43.9 mpg (US)

Regal - '03 buick Regal LS
90 day: 33.85 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
Maybe you provide some examples to support your position.

I went back and read my post; what I get out of it is I have a hate (strong choice of words) for people who think that they are helping me by attempting to harass me in to purchase a vehicle over 6000lbs. And that I attempt to make the best of people who have decided to think that well.
"One of these days I'm going to go balistic an kill one of them."

Your words, not mine.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrv6 View Post
"One of these days I'm going to go balistic an kill one of them."

Your words, not mine.
I feel as though that is slightly "out of context" given your position me / the group hating SUV drivers. My comment was regarding SUV drivers who try and push an SUV on me because I have a child.

Equivalent Example:

Disliking X Religion

Vs.

Disliking a Member of X religion who knocks on your door at 6:30 am on Saturday.

My problem isn't that they drive them, it's that (on that particular day) a late 80's Surburban driver used profane Language in front of a child indicating that I was going to "murder my child" and "should go straight to hell for driving such a small car". I would have better understood if it was in the midst of a discussion, but in Passing I had a real issue with it. I am certain that she left thinking that she had "helped me".

( I know I should have included this info in the original post)
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
Old 07-31-2008, 08:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
I don't think I ever said I hated SUVs.

*quick check on post*

Nope. Some ad hoc humor at my upbringing and the mentality of car dealers trying to sell something tomorrow that isn't selling today. Besides, I can't hate all SUV drivers... that would mean I'd have to hate half of my relatives.

Plus I've been helping my sister get better on squeezing the juice from her highlander.

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
Old 07-31-2008, 09:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by azraelswrd View Post
I don't think I ever said I hated SUVs.

*quick check on post*

Nope. Some ad hoc humor at my upbringing and the mentality of car dealers trying to sell something tomorrow that isn't selling today. Besides, I can't hate all SUV drivers... that would mean I'd have to hate half of my relatives.

Plus I've been helping my sister get better on squeezing the juice from her highlander.
I Feel the same way; However I did say it, but I meant it as a joke, see the next line of my post.

I know I've saved more fuel in other peoples SUV's than I use, primary by inflating tires and talking 2 Expedition owners out of 50wt oil. Do I wish that they would drive a smaller, safer vehicle, YES, do I tell them that, No.

Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
Reply  Post New Thread