Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Elle - '10 Honda Element SC
let me get this out of the way. for economy I know most of these hho and the likes kits are snake oil.

heres another spin on it.

can the combustion chamber cleaning abilities and lower emissions be worth it in the long run?

as in would it be worth it to but out lower emissions and keep your engine free of carbon deposits etc that could lower the economy anyway?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

here is an interesting review of the AquaTune
A 30% Power Boost With AQUATUNE?? Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid - Car Questions, Answers, and Discussion
Old 02-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
20:11:20:16:22:16:34

アキラ - '00 Volkswagen Passat B5 Wagon
The email notifications of replies in just this thread are getting filtered as spam in my email account. LOL! I think it's some kind of hint. :P
Old 02-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerc2000 View Post
let me get this out of the way. for economy I know most of these hho and the likes kits are snake oil.

heres another spin on it.

can the combustion chamber cleaning abilities and lower emissions be worth it in the long run?

as in would it be worth it to but out lower emissions and keep your engine free of carbon deposits etc that could lower the economy anyway?
Decoking was something that only needed doing when petrol didn't have the detergents etc. it has now, and for the bits that misses I understand there are potions, ungents and other magic spells ("seafoam" I think is one in the colonies, we use carb cleaner or Redex) which perform the same role in one go ?

Better than driving round with a permanently powered Unicorn feeder leeching off your car, no ?

Like I tapped - if it worked it would be on every car - and would be tuned, perfected and advertised as a feature.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
mostly harmless

Herman - '06 Chevrolet HHR 2LT
90 day: 28.89 mpg (US)
I'm thinking (not making any claims here) that perhaps the best way to use water to increase efficiency is to try something I think was called a six-cycle engine. After the fuel powered four, another involves injecting water into the hot cylinder, which turns to steam and applies pressure to the piston.
There'd be some engineering involved, with timing for ignition and injection, you don't want to cool the engine too much with the water injection, so adjustments would have to be made there...
Still, a lot more believable to me than the HHO fad.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Elle - '10 Honda Element SC
how bout 2 injectors for each cylinder? one for water one for fuel and they just swap back and forth for every cycle? or just add a set amount of water in every cycle.

but then again that would be 2X the fuel tanks, lines, pumps etc.

it would let you run a more advanced timing and high compression and still use low octane fuel. or on some cars lower the oem requirement of high octane fuels
maybe even lean the mixture and still be safe.

it would deff need quite a few hrs on a dyno to perfect though
Old 02-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
mostly harmless

Herman - '06 Chevrolet HHR 2LT
90 day: 28.89 mpg (US)
Yeah, it'd need another tank and pump... don't know exactly how much water it would use per cycle, but that's one of those things that a bit of math and a bit more experimentation would determine.
Quote:
Crower six-stroke engine

In a six-stroke engine prototyped in the U.S. by Bruce Crower, water is injected into the cylinder after the exhaust stroke, and is instantly turned to steam, which expands and forces the piston down for an additional power stroke. Thus, waste heat that most engines require an air or water cooling system to discharge is captured and put to use driving the piston.[8] Crower estimated that his design would reduce fuel consumption by 40% by generating the same power output at a lower RPM. The weight associated with a cooling system could be eliminated, but that would be balanced by a need for a water tank in addition to the normal fuel tank.
Six-stroke engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very interesting. Someone with a bit of knowin' and a machine shop could probably do a bit of work on this...
Old 02-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacer View Post
I'm thinking (not making any claims here) that perhaps the best way to use water to increase efficiency is to try something I think was called a six-cycle engine. After the fuel powered four, another involves injecting water into the hot cylinder, which turns to steam and applies pressure to the piston.
Bruise Crower's 6 stroke was patented no later than 2006, probably much earlier but shows no sign of moving beyond the prototype stage. IIRC the problem he's had is acidification. Hot exhaust gases and steam will chemically 'crack' into all sorts of organic compounds, but the acids are the ones that will kill the engine by reacting with hot metal. Potentially you might need a far more complex catalytic-converter as well, I don't know.

This isn't like evaporative charge cooling (injecting small amount of water into inlet air) this is Lots of water in contact with hot metal surfaces. Very hard to get right if possible at all.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,523 Times in 2,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerc2000 View Post
how bout 2 injectors for each cylinder? one for water one for fuel and they just swap back and forth for every cycle? or just add a set amount of water in every cycle.

but then again that would be 2X the fuel tanks, lines, pumps etc.

it would let you run a more advanced timing and high compression and still use low octane fuel. or on some cars lower the oem requirement of high octane fuels
maybe even lean the mixture and still be safe.

it would deff need quite a few hrs on a dyno to perfect though
Great water injection link:
RSR Water Injection Calculator

(need to add that to my water injection wiki)

Water injection - EcoModder
Old 02-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Glad to see someone had already posted this in the Unicorn Corral. I was searching Youtube for something else and this thing popped up. What an annoying presentation. Glad I didn't waste 23 minutes listening to it!

Tags
browns, hho, hydrogen, water