Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

El Camrino - '90 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.47 mpg (US)
Also, I was getting blocks on my LCD after changing from USB to car power. Try power cycling (slowly, wait 20 seconds or so after unplugging before plugging in again). See if that helps.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I appreciate everyone's help. It would be nice if I had a little more daylight time this week to work on this, but I don't. I rechecked my LCD solders this morning and they seem to be good enough and then I came over here and read the replies and took it back to the car. I plugged in and pushed some middle button and then just by chance I saw from an angle that the screen actually said "Contrast" "000000". It looks like blocks from head on. I tried to adjust it with the other buttons, but I was difficult to see what the screen said then. Whatever it said was on the other end of the LCD and I couldn't make it out. Then I pushed again and it looked like it said "VSS Signal" "100" or something like that.

So it sounds to me that maybe it is working and I just need to work on settings. It is time to go to work for another 12 hours this very minute, but I suppose that I will find a manual somewhere on the site that will tell me how to adjust contrast and get everything setup.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

To adjust the contrast, use the left and right buttons to navigate left and right through the number fields. Use the middle button to increment the number in the current underlined field. You should just hit the middle button the first time. Even if the contrast is too high, it might be readable for the next time around. Hope that helps.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I can't get the contrast to respond to the buttons. Some of the pixels change a little when I press buttons, but where it says Contrast 00000000 nothing changes.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Try grounding the appropriate pins directly (rather than using the button) to see if it's a bad button.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Axe, what version do you have loaded? You are using the Blue LCD from where?

I need more info to help you. But try this sequence:

Without doing or pressing anything else:
1. power up the unit
2. hit the middle button until you can read the display

Let me know if that works or not.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have the current software as of a week or so ago and I bought the blue LCD in the MPGuino main thread. Pushing the middle button doesn't do any good.

But I just found something disturbing with my multimeter. The middle button seems good, but the other two buttons are leaking electrons. I don't see a problem with the soldering, so I have to guess that these buttons are broken. Maybe the middle button isn't working because the unit thinks I'm scrolling up and down superfast?

I tested all the buttons before I put it together, so something must have damaged them somehow afterward. I can't think what.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I'm not sure how much heat the buttons could take, but maybe too much heat during soldering? Mine took a good bit and they work fine, but I suppose it's still a possibility.

You're right; Maybe the left and right buttons are "stuck closed". Try disconnecting the left and right buttons from pins 3 and 5 and just trying the middle button (or disconnect all 3 buttons and manually ground pin 4, middle button pin).

Old 09-14-2008, 08:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Soldering at those pins was very difficult for me. I'd rather try replacing the buttons if I can find them at Radioshack.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

How did you connect the wire from the button to the board? I have mine pushed into the appropriate pin header (nothing real permanent). In other words, can you disconnect the button from the board (but still keep the wires connected to the button itself)?

Reply  Post New Thread