Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93hatchDX View Post
Do you guys know of a wire under the hood in the engine compartment that I can splice this relay switch to ?
There are many, and any one of them is probably enough to slow down down your average thief enough to deter them. You have a computer that has a power (and ground) leads, you have many sensors/devices connected to the computer that might disable the car if interrupted, possibly camshaft position, crankshaft position come to mind, fuel injectors certainly, ignition power, starter interlock, fuel pump leads, airflow sensor might work. Maybe something to pressurize the brake system? Again, there are many many ways to temporarily disable a modern car.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-21-2008, 11:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Bantha bob - '09 Aprilia Sportcity 250
found it...I'm set.

found an exact tutorial here.....
Engine Bay Ignition Kill

huge thanks
Old 07-22-2008, 12:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Polymer - '89 Honda Civic Hatch Std 4 speed
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Woodstock - '69 MG Midget 1275

Nekobus - '06 Scion xB
I love frustrating thieves.

Someone broke into my civic and tried to steal the stereo (cheap $99 unit). They broke a $200 window to get to it, but they couldn't get the stereo out, because _I_ installed it. I bolted a 1/2" steel strap to the back of the stereo, and wrapped it around a large structural member. They'd have to work a socket wrench for 15 minutes with their head under the dash to get that sucker out.

Still, it would have been cheaper to just leave the car door unlocked. :P

They did make off with a change purse with about 30 cents in it. I hope it bought them some crack.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Mechanical Engineer

The Truck - '02 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Sport
90 day: 13.32 mpg (US)

The Van 2 - '06 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 20.56 mpg (US)

GoKart - '14 Hyundai Elantra GT base 6MT
90 day: 32.04 mpg (US)

Godzilla - '21 Ford F350 XL
90 day: 8.69 mpg (US)
Any idea if a similar kill switch could be installed just to shut down your fuel injectors? I was thinking that it would primarily make EOCing in a stick shift vehicle much easier because you wouldn't have to operate the ignition switch all the time, just turn the fuel off and back on to enable clutch-starting. I just wonder if it can be done without tripping MILs...
Old 07-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechEngVT View Post
Any idea if a similar kill switch could be installed just to shut down your fuel injectors? I was thinking that it would primarily make EOCing in a stick shift vehicle much easier because you wouldn't have to operate the ignition switch all the time, just turn the fuel off and back on to enable clutch-starting. I just wonder if it can be done without tripping MILs...
I was just thinking about that today. Like a momentary switch nearby that you could use to cut fuel without waiting for the ECM to do it. Maybe use the switch to send power to a relay. Normally closed would connect the ECM to the fuel injectors as normal. Normally open would bypass the fuel injectors and substitute the appropriate resistor to mimic the injectors so hopefully it thinks the injectors are connected and wont throw a code.

Something else I was thinking about was if the fuel was cut manually, if you opened the throttle it might suck air through the engine easier and get you farther down the road without fuel.

On topic of the kill switch, I think the best idea is the wackiest thing you can come up with. Anything off the shelf, the thief will be more familiar with than you will. Maybe even something like a hidden fuel pump cutoff, so it looks normal when they break into the ignition switch, but when they go to start the car it cranks but wont run, and after awhile they will probably just think its a piece of junk and move on.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 07-22-2008, 04:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I remember Dad telling me about a device that they used when he was in his 20s. Take a slo-blo fuse and wire it inline with your ignition wire. Basically, make a plunger that has connections thru the fuse when pushed in and thru a solid conductor when pulled out. When you park your car, push the plunger in. The thief will be able to start your car and get a 100 ft or do down the road, but when the fuse burns through, the car dies. The reasoning behind it was that if a thief stalls on the side of the road, he'll get panicked and abandon the car instead of stealing everything out of it. Also, being on the road, makes it easier to be spotted by law enforcement...

Just for giggles, I think it'd be fun to wire it so when the fuse burns, it kicks a relay to hold the power door lock solenoids in the lock position and/ or activate a stun gun wired in under the seat cover.. lol

Just a thought...
Old 07-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefdruid View Post
I remember Dad telling me about a device that they used when he was in his 20s. Take a slo-blo fuse and wire it inline with your ignition wire. Basically, make a plunger that has connections thru the fuse when pushed in and thru a solid conductor when pulled out. When you park your car, push the plunger in. The thief will be able to start your car and get a 100 ft or do down the road, but when the fuse burns through, the car dies. The reasoning behind it was that if a thief stalls on the side of the road, he'll get panicked and abandon the car instead of stealing everything out of it. Also, being on the road, makes it easier to be spotted by law enforcement...
Thats cool, I like it. Another thing is that instead of attempted theft, they can actually get in trouble for theft since they moved the car off premises. Downside is your car might get cremed by another car.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 07-29-2008, 04:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1997 Civic POS - '97 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to ajax_6531 Send a message via Yahoo to ajax_6531
put a regular switch (nothing fancy) in line with anything that will keep the car from starting. Hide it up under the dash where you can reach it without much squirming. When you shut the car off, flip the switch. When someone breaks in, they won't be looking for it, and the car still won't start. My belief is that if someone wants to steal your car bad enough, they will (tow truck, helicopter transport, star-trek transporter, etc.). Also, people don't want ugly cars :-) Thats why I keep the dent in my passenger door.

IYAOYAS
Old 07-29-2008, 05:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Bantha bob - '09 Aprilia Sportcity 250
yeah I'm putting this remote relay switch into the fuel line underneath the back seat i think.

Remote control 12v DC relay switch

that way there is no switch to find or hide. I think 1 of the best products I've seen honestly is a foot pedal lock...it locks the pedals in place. the club is obsolete for the steering wheel because all they have to do is cut through the steering wheel and remove the club....not so with the brake pedal lock.

just my 2 cents.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
a friend of mind had his car stolen, police tolled him there was little hopes of finding it again. yet a few days later he found it a few blocks away full, probably stolen by some kids to joyride... so he set up a simple toggle switch hidden behind a rag in his glove compartment.

a few days later supposedly the same kids tried again, but they left after they had drained the battery trying to start it...

problem is nothing keeps frustrated thieves frow wrecking your car.

another thing you might do is leave the glove compartment open to show there's nothing valuable inside (preferably leave it empty when you do)... saves thieves the trouble of brakeing a window

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*
Reply  Post New Thread