Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
mostly harmless

Herman - '06 Chevrolet HHR 2LT
90 day: 28.89 mpg (US)
It may or may not have been a great success for some, not based on scientific results, but on how many books and videos were sold before folks realized that nobody could actually *show* the promised results.

The best I've seen anyone do could easily be attributed to the lighter right foot of a new acolyte, subconsciously hypermiling to some extent and crediting the (insert snake oil system here) with the improvement.

The Following User Says Thank You to spacer For This Useful Post:
Ryland (01-03-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Knight - '94 Toyota Corolla
Team Toyota
90 day: 58.53 mpg (US)
you want some easy hydrogen go add water to some military grade MRE heaters.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well then in the end, I guess the question would have to be this: If you add a certain amount of hydrogen, and oxygen, into a combustion cylinder with gasoline, do you get more bang? If you do, it works. If you don't it doesn't work. No one here has explained why this wouldn't work. Or perhaps I missed something. The only thing that could offset this effect would be the alternator, which seems perfectly reasonable to me. Its just that no one seems to be saying that.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photonfanatic View Post
If you add a certain amount of hydrogen, and oxygen, into a combustion cylinder with gasoline, do you get more bang? If you do, it works. If you don't it doesn't work. No one here has explained why this wouldn't work. Or perhaps I missed something.
I think the biggest point that most people miss is how little hydrogen is really being produced, as Old Mechanic said:
Quote:
One liter of HHO provides the same amount of energy as 1 and 1/2 wooden matches.
if you would like to see how much it takes to make a liter of hydrogen is then make an electrolizer and split some water, pick a design that keeps the hydrogen and the oxygen separate just so you are clear on what is being produced, while you are doing this you might put a amp meter on there so you can keep track of how much energy it's taking to split the water, once you get a liter of hydrogen take a look at how much energy it took to split that water and then ask your self if that was worth the one and a half match sticks worth of energy.
After you see how much hydrogen you are getting you might ask why not just buy a tank of hydrogen from your local welding shop and inject a small amount in to your intake, it's not going to take much, that is if it really works as well as the scam artists really say it does, so a tank should last you months.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
How about a tank of helium? Maybe helium injection would raise the exhaust note to a higher pitch. It works when I talk after sucking on a helium balloon. The higher pitched exhaust sounds would be like getting free extra RPMs.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
They aren't real engineers.
Real engineers look at the required power draw off the alternator, the alternator's efficiency, the electrolysis device and its own efficiency.

The Following User Says Thank You to euromodder For This Useful Post:
ConnClark (01-04-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #17 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
How about a tank of helium? Maybe helium injection would raise the exhaust note to a higher pitch. It works when I talk after sucking on a helium balloon. The higher pitched exhaust sounds would be like getting free extra RPMs.
It would actually work as an alternative to variable geometry intake and exhaust systems. You could start with Xenon-Oxygen mix for low rpms and gradually go to Helium-Oxygen mix for hight rpms. Pity making the mixes isn't practical.

Maybe using carbon rich fuels for low rpm and hydrogen rich fuels for high rpm would have some effect.

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
Old 01-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
Actually helium would work best as a substitute for egr. It would raise the specific heat ratio of the combustion gasses allowing more work energy to be extracted.

The following is a video of a stirling engine that has been initially charged with helium. As the helium leaks out and is replaced by ordinary air the power output drops. Of course the cost of using helium makes it totally impractical.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
What have I done???? I was just trying to be silly and THIS happens!!
Old 01-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Send a message via MSN to markweatherill
I don't know about Helium but what about Halogen?
I hear that Halogen bulbs are more efficient and burn brighter than old fashioned bulbs, so if you could get some Halogen into the engine, I'm sure it would be a good thing.

And I read about these inventors who somehow create 'plasma' in their engines which is supposed to be excellent in some way or other. Why not just get a broken plasma TV and take the plasma out of it and put it straight in the car?

The Following User Says Thank You to markweatherill For This Useful Post:
dr200 (01-08-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread