Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2017, 03:17 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Are you sure that Passat hadn't been illegally chip-tuned and straight-piped in order to enable it to "roll coal"?
Can't do that here. Emission checks are too strict. Your vehicle is measured and physically examined every 12 months. And not code reading. The exhaust gas is actually sampled and measured. If it is not within tight values it is a fail and can no longer be used on the road until repaired and retested.
No, the Passat was gubbed. Whatever had happened had happened since the last test and wouldn't pass another.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-09-2017, 04:41 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyzdead View Post
Hi Jez, nice to see you here.

I wouldn't mind hearing more about your unichip piggyback system. Is this something you can install yourself? I almost bought Copen from Grunt on Copenworld, but he ended up selling it to his niece. He's living in Japan now. I think he had D-Sport ECU on it. I don't know much about that, either, or whether it helps the fuel statistics.
Unichip needs to be installed by a qualified person and dyno tuned.
If you search for Unichip on Copenworld all the detail and results are on there.
D-Sport ECU is essentially a standard ECU with the rev limit raised and the boost cut raised best I can tell. It's not programable like Unichip.

You wouldn't install either of the systems to save fuel anyway. At about $1200+ for D-Sport and about $1800+ for Unichip they would take a while to payback.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:13 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Delivery 'Boy - '86 Suzuki Mighty Boy
90 day: 37.15 mpg (US)

SkipSwift - '13 Suzuki Swift GL
90 day: 35.44 mpg (US)
If you want a mighty boy I have a couple up for grabs...

Also, try bypassing the boost control solenoid. It should drop to 4-6psi and avoid the richest parts of the fuel map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyrabbit
In God we trust. All others: bring data
Old 09-09-2017, 10:13 PM   #24 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
Can't do that here. Emission checks are too strict. Your vehicle is measured and physically examined every 12 months. And not code reading. The exhaust gas is actually sampled and measured. If it is not within tight values it is a fail and can no longer be used on the road until repaired and retested.
Who knows? The same way it can be chip-tuned to enable the fitment of a straight-pipe, it can be reverted in order to pass the test.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

[QUOTE=You wouldn't install either of the systems to save fuel anyway. At about $1200+ for D-Sport and about $1800+ for Unichip they would take a while to payback.[/QUOTE]

Gaaakk!! You're not wrong! Don't think I'll be going there. I've got no reason to want more grunt out of it. I just want it to last as long as possible. Anybody who gets to own one of these is very lucky, imo.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:07 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyzdead View Post
Gaaakk!! You're not wrong! Don't think I'll be going there. I've got no reason to want more grunt out of it. I just want it to last as long as possible. Anybody who gets to own one of these is very lucky, imo.
Hello, I'm in Sydney.

I'm not sure how much sophistication is on that ECU but it's not uncommon to swap out or in different brands of ECU on JDM cars.

On https://www.pcmhacking.net/forums/index.php which is basically a Holden ECU forum, people added ODB ports to various ECU's. It might be possible to add one.

Welcome anyway. I'm interested to see what you do.
future - probably a Prius
Old 09-10-2017, 07:52 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Who knows? The same way it can be chip-tuned to enable the fitment of a straight-pipe, it can be reverted in order to pass the test.
I realise that but he could be pulled over at any time. If I had been a traffic car I would have given him a pull. If you'd seen the car you would have realised it was not an enthusiast. It was just a clapped out banger. Not long from the crusher.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #28 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
If you'd seen the car you would have realised it was not an enthusiast.
But anyway, unless it had been previous to the DPF mandate, it might have still been illegally DPF-deleted even if the motivation was to ease the maintenance.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
I realise that but he could be pulled over at any time. If I had been a traffic car I would have given him a pull. If you'd seen the car you would have realised it was not an enthusiast. It was just a clapped out banger. Not long from the crusher.
Here in Australia, it's legal to have a hotdog muffler on a turbo car. That's what I have, which is straight-through after the cat.

I doubt any cop here is going to be complaining about a 1.3T or whatever it is with a cat-back straight pipe. Except if the car is post 2016.

Lot's of JDM cars here get some sort of Exhaust upgrade. Emissions are only checked when the Authorities develop an attitude about the mods of any particular anti-social type car - which is sortof half acceptable.

If the COpen had 1200hp then it might get an emissions check but before that probably not.
future - probably a Prius
Old 09-13-2017, 09:35 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Car was actually a 2008 (I said 5 years old but it was in fact 9 years old - checked dashcam) and that was before DPF were fitted to UK vehicles.

Reply  Post New Thread