Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Jordan View Post
Just my opinion- those old design diamond frame trikes are unsafe disasters at all speeds. I had an old Huffy in the mid 1970s and at 2 mph it threw me off hitting a driveway and I fell a long way then rolled into a busy street.

Undaunted; the next day it wouldn't stay on the ground around a corner- tipped, went over- bloodied up badly. That was at 5 mph. Granted- about 10 to 20 pounds of battery would have helped, it would not help my grip or balance problem. Bye bye diamond frame trike.

My solution was to be low, but that is not for everybody. I have a hub motorised trike and an EV microcar 3-wheeler- both are a little bit faster than 10 mph (legally in CA.: 20/50 mph) I would never EVER try that on a diamond frame trike!
Adding rake to the front forks helps with stability on delta trikes. If you check out the street legal "Tri-Sport" trikes, they have a decent rake and a low stance. I've never seen one 2-wheel before, unless forced to do so. Under "normal" driving conditions, they're fairly stable.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-14-2009, 01:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMPG View Post
In all honesty, should she be riding a bicycle? With that health rep sheet I would be afraid to get out of the house.
Try telling her that!! I'll stand back for the blood bath. Seriously, the last thing she wants is to give up, or slow down anymore than she already has.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:25 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
Try telling her that!! I'll stand back for the blood bath. Seriously, the last thing she wants is to give up, or slow down anymore than she already has.
If she's determined to keep going, let her keep going, I say... there is a limit, though, where she's not going to do any good for herself... you, as her mate, have to watch for that.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ecomod noob

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Jordan View Post
Just my opinion- those old design diamond frame trikes are unsafe disasters at all speeds. I had an old Huffy in the mid 1970s and at 2 mph it threw me off hitting a driveway and I fell a long way then rolled into a busy street.

Undaunted; the next day it wouldn't stay on the ground around a corner- tipped, went over- bloodied up badly. That was at 5 mph. Granted- about 10 to 20 pounds of battery would have helped, it would not help my grip or balance problem. Bye bye diamond frame trike.

My solution was to be low, but that is not for everybody. I have a hub motorised trike and an EV microcar 3-wheeler- both are a little bit faster than 10 mph (legally in CA.: 20/50 mph) I would never EVER try that on a diamond frame trike!
I am well over the trikes weight limit, it flexes a lot more than I would like it to when I sit on it. My son and daughter (21 and 19) enjoy riding it, though my son prefers to ride it with the non-driven wheel in the air (I'll see if I can a pic when he is home this weekend). The upside to the two wheel antics showed my wife that the trike isn't as stable as she expected.

She has ridden a recumbent trike, but that aggravated her hip.

Please understand that I'm just looking for ways to keep her active despite her ailments and frailties. We're only 4 days into using crutches and I think she is ready to wrap one around my neck... Mainly because I refuse to pull her wheelchair back out (she needed that two years ago...).

To that end, here is the rear drive on the trike, I have room to add another "hub" on the axle for a regular freewheel...
Old 09-14-2009, 01:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ecomod noob

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
If she's determined to keep going, let her keep going, I say... there is a limit, though, where she's not going to do any good for herself... you, as her mate, have to watch for that.
Oh yeah, I'm watching. Been looking after her for 26 years, but the medical issues have been with us for about 15... Now I have to be careful that I don't sacrifice my own issues. I just had a second gel injection (of three) in my left knee. I'm a candidate for replacement. Yippee, huh? Falling apart too young I tell ya...
Old 09-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The design looks almost perfect for a HSD retrofit (replace transmission with PSD/MG1 and add MG2) but it won't offer much in your application considering it will run in EV mode most of the time.

An IMA setup, however, is very easy. Add another gear on the drive shaft and mount the motor to the frame. Use sheet metal to make a bracket for the motor.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 09-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
zjrog, how much do you way? If you are exceeding the weight limit of the bike you a probably a rather large man. I would try to lose weight, that will help tons of health factors.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
Try telling her that!!
I can sure understand that! Being stubborn helped me!

That trike is probably independent (one wheel) rear drive. Some had differentials, but not many. If a motor powers one wheel that would probably be an uneven motion under acceleration.

Front wheel drive would be safer I think- hub drive or scrub drive (on the tire) if they still sell that option! Best of luck!
Old 09-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

I just assumed it was a live axle.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Ecomod noob

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger

Madison, yes, I am a large guy. But the trike isn't for me, its limit is 250#. And I am losing a bit (why I'm on my own bike). My knee issues are divided between bad genetics, and not being so good to myself in my younger years. Downside to being a bigger guy, people expect me to help them move heavy stuff (or break loose big tight fittings...). Also, being larger, means not fitting in some cars. For instance, I can only fit in a Toyota MR2 with the door open and the roof off.

Rear axle has a standard three pin drive hub on the right side, the left side is just riding on bearings.

Mike, man... I'm not understanding your acronyms. But I won't have any issue fabricating stuff... I'm a Jeep guy!!!