Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 02:10 AM   #91 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekke View Post
Can you hear you fan during driving? I cant. I should also put light like was it basjoos did...
At first, when I didn't hear it for the first few months, I thought that either it doesn't work, or it's very quiet. When it got warm enough to try the A/C (mine doesn't turn on below a certain outside temp.), I heard the fan, and it's pretty loud :/

A fan LED in the cockpit is also on my to-do list

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #92 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
The fans are normally activated when the AC is turned on on my TDI. This is useful to test if the fans are operating properly too.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 05-10-2009, 02:56 AM   #93 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

OK, I opened the part of my grill block in front of the IC yesterday. In the evening we drove to a party, then I gave a few people a lift (since I don't drink), a total of about 100km. The coolant temperature was much lower than when the grill was totally blocked: under 80*C instead of 90*C. Even though 80% is still blocked, what's open lets air onto the radiator. What I'm thinking now is this: if my new grill block will have two independantly openable holes (one for the radiator and one for the IC), then maybe I should add a wall between them, so that air from the IC opening doesn't get into the radiator zone? Unblocking the IC should bring the engine temp down, lessening the need for unblocking the radiator.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

Old 05-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #94 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Active Learning - '93 Chevy Suburban Silverado
90 day: 10.67 mpg (US)
diesels work differently,.

You want a hot engine? put in a hotter thermostat.. But dont block air access to your intercooler. It will do the opposite of what you want it to do. Diesel fuel does not evaporate and gets injected directly into the cylinder. Gas starts evaporating as soon as its injected, which makes smaller particles that burn more completly.
Diesels run very lean automatically. Gasoline is manipulated to be 14.7 to 1 ratio.
What do you think you are gaining by blocking your radiator on a diesel?
If your diesel has an EGR valve then Im sorry.. EGR was a bad idea for lowering cylinder temps.
My advice if you want to be green and get rid of the EGR is to go with the minimal water injection that you can and block off the EGR all together. It will acomplish the same thing without choking your engine to death.

Last edited by consaka; 05-11-2009 at 04:55 PM..
Old 05-12-2009, 01:33 AM   #95 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by consaka View Post
You want a hot engine? put in a hotter thermostat.
But I want shorter warm-up times, and a new thermo isn't going to help.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #96 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Active Learning - '93 Chevy Suburban Silverado
90 day: 10.67 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
But I want shorter warm-up times, and a new thermo isn't going to help.
Hmm neither is blocking your radiator going to help. The only real thing you can do to shorten the warmup time is to use a block heater and keep it plugged in.

Face it engine blocks have a lot of mass and it takes a while to get it to running temperature. Well lets see. if you lowered the running temperature then it would get there faster.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #97 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Grill blocks definitely help the temps going up faster. Here, it makes a big difference when it's -30. Increased EGR is what works best to get the temps up faster though.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 06-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #98 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
OK, I opened the part of my grill block in front of the IC yesterday. In the evening we drove to a party, then I gave a few people a lift (since I don't drink), a total of about 100km. The coolant temperature was much lower than when the grill was totally blocked: under 80*C instead of 90*C. Even though 80% is still blocked, what's open lets air onto the radiator. What I'm thinking now is this: if my new grill block will have two independantly openable holes (one for the radiator and one for the IC), then maybe I should add a wall between them, so that air from the IC opening doesn't get into the radiator zone? Unblocking the IC should bring the engine temp down, lessening the need for unblocking the radiator.
I would add a wall so that you get the maximum amount of air rammed through your intercooler. Also remember that any engine temp drops due to unblocking the intercooler is putting that energy towards moving you down the road.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:31 AM   #99 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

This may have been already discussed, but there is a thread on ecodriving at my local Peugeot forum, and someone wrote that accelerating with 80% throttle is efficient on gassers, but not diesels. Diesels should accelerate very slowly for fuel economy.
Is this true? I'm using the 80% rule on my turbodiesel and seem to be getting good FE, but maybe it could be better?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:24 AM   #100 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Enduro E-bike - '11 PowerPedals Enduro
90 day: 2236 mpg (US)

Jota - '14 Toyota Yaris Hybrid H1
90 day: 53.11 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec-e View Post
I tried blocking up the intercooler a bit on the diesel cee'd but the fuel economy literally tanked. I drove it easy, hard, and both drank diesel like theres no tomorrow. Maybe different brands of tdi behave differently with blocked up/ removed intercoolers. I do agree though, that gentle driving will not have the turbo compressing much, therfore cooler intake air. I can't wait to get something with a 1.4tdi next year....and a scangauge!

ollie
That indicates, at the car/ FE will benefit from a well executed cold air intake

Reply  Post New Thread