Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: How do you Pulse and Glide your diesel vehicle ?
Accelerate slowly, glide with the engine off. 3 5.00%
Accelerate slowly, glide with the engine on. 25 41.67%
Accelerate briskly, glide with the engine off. 4 6.67%
Accelerate briskly, glide with the engine on. 19 31.67%
I'm using another technique. 9 15.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #81 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Golf TDI - '10 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 37.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbo View Post
Glide is engine on, but I do coast longer hills engine off, diesel takes long time to start with glow plugs and all that.
If it's warmed up the glows are unneeded. In fact, you should be able to start it by simply putting it back in gear if you are still moving.

Driven: 2010 VW Golf TDI
Driven less: 2001 Audi TT Roadster (225)
Parked: 1982 VW Jetta Diesel
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #82 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHedrm View Post
If it's warmed up the glows are unneeded. In fact, you should be able to start it by simply putting it back in gear if you are still moving.
Yes, but car will automatically apply glowplugs when turning key to run position, kill switch mod of course would help there.

Bump starting vs using starter is then one thing, bump starting takes quite a bit from my speed, also probably causes some wear to clutch too, maybe using starter is more efficient?

Older diesels like in my Volvo 240 require using glow plugs even when warm, I reckon, it really takes long time to 'saw' it if not letting glow plugs warm, no matter if engine is warm or not, something to do with how it is constructed, I guess.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #83 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
The energy from maintaining hydraulic pressure is less than you might think. Personally a bigger waste of energy is a gasoline engine, but that's just me.

Now a clutch on the ps pump is not a bad idea, but logistically how would that work?
yah, the engine is by far the greater waste, that was supposed to be a joke.

maybe the PS pump only uses 1/2 mpg of power, but even a small amount, at all times, which serves no purpose 99% of the time, thats pretty crazy.

I wasn't thinking of the clutch as a DIY mod, I was thinking it would be a good idea if they were built that way. In my imagination it is activated either manually, or when speed drops below 5mph. I know it will never happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 04-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #84 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbo View Post
Yes, but car will automatically apply glowplugs when turning key to run position, kill switch mod of course would help there.

Bump starting vs using starter is then one thing, bump starting takes quite a bit from my speed, also probably causes some wear to clutch too, maybe using starter is more efficient?

Older diesels like in my Volvo 240 require using glow plugs even when warm, I reckon, it really takes long time to 'saw' it if not letting glow plugs warm, no matter if engine is warm or not, something to do with how it is constructed, I guess.
Previous owner replaced glow plug controller with a manual button in mine.
I hold it for 5 seconds when starting cold.
Once on the road, I P&G engine off, once warm it bump starts with no effort at all at speed above 10mpg, in high gear.
Probably does take some clutch wear, but it doesn't feel like much more than changing gears, certainly less than starting from a stand still.
Try it with the engine warm, in 5th gear, key on, I bet it's easier than you think. (I never drove your model of car though, so who knows)

Quote:
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Old 04-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #85 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OldContinents
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobAziza View Post
yah, the engine is by far the greater waste, that was supposed to be a joke.

maybe the PS pump only uses 1/2 mpg of power, but even a small amount, at all times, which serves no purpose 99% of the time, thats pretty crazy.

I wasn't thinking of the clutch as a DIY mod, I was thinking it would be a good idea if they were built that way. In my imagination it is activated either manually, or when speed drops below 5mph. I know it will never happen.
These days pumps are replaced by electric motors, many smaller european car has electric motor to provide steering assist, cars even park themselves (like VW) as it is possible to program steering functions with such system, also they have stronger assist at slow speed, so maybe they are not getting a clutch, but something much better?
Old 04-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #86 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OldContinents
Quote:
Previous owner replaced glow plug controller with a manual button in mine.
I hold it for 5 seconds when starting cold.
Once on the road, I P&G engine off, once warm it bump starts with no effort at all at speed above 10mpg, in high gear.
Probably does take some clutch wear, but it doesn't feel like much more than changing gears, certainly less than starting from a stand still.
Try it with the engine warm, in 5th gear, key on, I bet it's easier than you think. (I never drove your model of car though, so who knows)
When I bump start at 50MPH, speed drops to under 45MPH and it feels like pulling a handbrake. Engine braking in this car is also quite a lot more than those more modern cars or any gasoline car I have driven, it really is feeling like braking, so that engine braking and resist to rotate is perhaps reason why it feels quite bad to bump start.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:53 PM   #87 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Golf TDI - '10 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 37.69 mpg (US)
The other option is to replace your slow glow plugs with a fast glow system. I know there are retrofits for such things since my '82 Jetta was converted. I think it just involves replacing the plugs and the control relay.

Driven: 2010 VW Golf TDI
Driven less: 2001 Audi TT Roadster (225)
Parked: 1982 VW Jetta Diesel
Old 04-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #88 (permalink)
In God we trust!

01 Beetle - '01 VW Beetle TDI
90 day: 42.33 mpg (US)

Black 450h - '14 Lexus 450h
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
The energy from maintaining hydraulic pressure is less than you might think.
Now a clutch on the ps pump is not a bad idea, but logistically how would that work?
And a clutch such as the type on an AC compressor uses quite a bit of electrical energy to keep engaged, further reducing the efficiency of the ps pump. .
This is not low hanging fruit and would take some effort in design, installation, and electrical connections, but, sounded like a logical idea. If the clutch I mentioned uses "quite a bit of electricity" that still seems acceptable given it would only be used for short periods time while parking. example: Lets say it uses 12% energy running 100% of run time. If it took 2% to electronically engauge a clutch, you would still be 10% ahead. Yes I pulled these numbers out of my A$$ for the example. I would take some of the Gurus on here to plug in real numbers. Just thinking outside the box.
Maybe a happy medium instead of removing the powersteering completely.

I am all for you guys who get the MAX mpg out of everything you work on and give major props to you and the extreem work you do! This is why i'm here!! IMHO I want more mpg but loosing a couple % to gain a little comfort is something that I can negotiate with Mrs Hip001 to keep the peace in the house
Old 04-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #89 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip001 View Post
loosing a couple % to gain a little comfort is something that I can negotiate with Mrs Hip001 to keep the peace in the house
I'm lucky in that regard.
Not only did "Ms. Aziza" agree to the PS delete, she actually did the work herself!

Quote:

Old 04-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #90 (permalink)
In God we trust!

01 Beetle - '01 VW Beetle TDI
90 day: 42.33 mpg (US)

Black 450h - '14 Lexus 450h
Quote:
I'm lucky in that regard.
Not only did "Ms. Aziza" agree to the PS delete, she actually did the work herself!
Wow! You got a keeper there!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Hip001 For This Useful Post:
JacobAziza (04-12-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread