View Poll Results: How long will it take me to replace my heater core
One day. You got this! 4 33.33%
A week or two. 3 25.00%
A month or two 0 0%
6 - 12 months 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2020, 04:40 PM   #51 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Spectra Premium products are covered by a Limited Lifetime Warranty,

Quote:
during which its products are warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship. The Warranty period begins on the date the product is delivered.

The Warranty is granted to the end-user and applies to products which are purchased, installed, and used for the purposes for which they are originally designed. This Warranty covers defects arising under normal use and does not cover malfunctions or failures resulting from misuse, abuse, neglect, improper installation, or incorrect maintenance.

During the Warranty period, Spectra Premium will repair or replace, at no charge, a product that is defective in materials or workmanship. Spectra Premium reserves the right to either repair or replace a defective component at its discretion and reserves the right to substitute an equivalent product under the terms of this Warranty.

Spectra Premium Radiators, Condensers, Heater Cores, and Ignition Distributors have no warranty.
Is it me or do the first three paragraphs only serve to discourage you from reading the last sentence, which is the only one with any meaning?

This is the website's picture for the splicer:

This is what I removed from my car:

Clearly once I fixed the leak I should have added the proper mix of coolant.

How much rust do you think came just from the splicer?

The fun thing is that you can bypass a heater core without buying a splicer. You just detach the short hose from the block, connect the long hose where the short hose goes, and make sure that the rest of your cooling system is performing to specified parameters!

I have been trying to figure out how to test the original heater core. I keep asking and someone finally told me that a radiator shop could fix it. Unfortunately, we do not have any in our area. The third one was not supposed to arrive until next week, but AutoZone says that it is coming today!

Progress report season opened up on Wednesday and I wrote five reports, but I went to bed early. Thursday was my brother's birthday and somehow I needed 9.5 hours of sleep.

I kept the ice cream and soda in a cooler in my car with two bags of ice. The ice was frozen around the tub, but the ice cream still melted.

It is 82° right now, just like yesterday, but my dash is 130°! Clearly I should have cracked my windows and used a sunshade! Maybe I should have put an awning over my car!

I had three make-up sessions scheduled this morning, but the last client had technical difficulties, so I spent an hour attempting to be productive in my office [in the shed]. The mom finally said their Internet was not working and I suggested we try again next week.

Well, I am going to finish my reports and work on my car!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Corroded splicer.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	28585  
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-04-2020, 10:11 AM   #52 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Comments: plug one end of the heater core, put a hose on the other , blow into it to add some air pressure to the other end put into bucket of clean water, look for bubbles.

Not much rust, the part is mostly intact. Maybe a teaspoon full.

Icecream needs salt added to the ice to lower the freeze point because it has sugars and other ingredients that lower the freeze point to about 20f
The Following User Says Thank You to Piotrsko For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (07-05-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 05:46 PM   #53 (permalink)
Not Doug

Please watch this guy's dash removal video!

I want to make sure that I can put my car back together before I take her apart again. I could not figure out how to put the glove box frame back.

It wasn't in my instructions!

You aren't supposed to remove it!

I know that I watched one video where the guy removed it, but while that video said that it showed how to remove the heater core, he only removed the AC condenser.

The glove box frame connects to four other pieces, but I was also sweltering in my black car in the summer sun, and I kept accidentally touching hot chrome tools. I couldn't find anyone removing the frame and realized that it was only necessary for the other components. Unfortunately, I cannot find any AC removal videos that show it. However, this guy posted a video removing the dash in May: I didn't really watch it because I just want to fix my own car, but it looked good. If you have a moment, please watch as much as you can, and give this guy some feedback. He only has a few videos so far.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #54 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Is that you? I watched his video. I was not clear why he was doing this. Also could not really tell what exactly he was removing as he disconnected the harness and mounting screws and bolts. That prolly means it is too general to help you much, no?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:26 PM   #55 (permalink)
Not Doug

That is an HX and he is trying to move his fuse box and some other stuff to the trunk for some reason.

He has a black Si of the same generation. I think that he said that he rebuilt the engine, but it still isn't running.

I found a couple of clips that helped me put my car back together, but I am unsure how helpful the overall video would have been had I seen it before I put the dash back, or even before I removed it.

However, he seems friendly and helpful, so he probably would have answered my questions.

The new core arrived, but I am still trying to figure out how to test it before installation.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:57 PM   #56 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Why not do this test on the new core? Seemed like good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Comments: plug one end of the heater core, put a hose on the other , blow into it to add some air pressure to the other end put into bucket of clean water, look for bubbles. ...
Dude, if I lived nearby I would come help.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #57 (permalink)
Not Doug

I had a different idea and I am still trying to make it work.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:54 PM   #58 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Ok. Hang in there. You'll get it sooner or later.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:29 PM   #59 (permalink)
Not Doug

I have not accomplished anything. I am as surprised as you are!

So, I came up with one way of testing heater cores, but I think that it only works when they are atrocious. The two not in my car both passed.

There was the other way that I thought would 100% work, but either I have three bad heater cores or there is a flaw in my testing. I asked in a bunch of places and that did not go any better than... ever.

In no particular order I received: Trolling, obvious advice, and useless advice.

Did any of you play Streetfighter Two? That was popular when I was in seventh grade and when we first started playing we were trying to figure out the moves. A friend and I were discussing Zangief's screwdriver, also called "Spinning piledriver," "Screw piledriver, etc." You know, this move:

When was Santa Clause in Street Fighter?!

A classmate said "You just go into the secret thingie and get it!"

Clearly he did not have any idea what he was saying and that is often my impression when people tell me what to do.

I honestly do not know what to do. Do I go ahead and install #3 being fully prepared for there to be a #4 and potentially a #5? There must be someone able to help me, do I write a letter to Santa?!

Someone suggested connecting the heater core through the engine bay. I looked into a few things and found this picture:

Clips?! The heater core is supposed to have clips?!

Me to heating system: With this clip I thee wed:

This Miata had them! Where do I find clamps for my Civic?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tenor.gif
Views:	238
Size:	3.45 MB
ID:	28672   Click image for larger version

Name:	41WyAfRNafL._AC_.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	28673   Click image for larger version

Name:	__12.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	28674   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4325_grande.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	28675  
California98Civic (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 08:39 PM   #60 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
... ?! ....

Me to heating system: With this clip I thee wed:

Hahahaha!

Reply  Post New Thread