Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Classifieds > For Sale
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2019, 12:59 PM   #81 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
$35,000 in Vermont is different than $35,000 in Wisconsin and
$35,000 in Phoenix is different than $35,000 in Mesa

In Wisconsin you can still find rent all utilities included for $250 a month and ground turkey for $1 a pound

I’m told the difference in cost of living in AZ varies wildly as do wages

Cost of living makes a bigger difference than earnings in how easy it is to make ends meet
I'd put a qualifier with that. Maybe if you're retired and on a fixed or declining income, but I'm young and my wages are still rapidly increasing. It makes more sense for me to be in a higher income + higher expense area because I know how to minimize living expenses and income scales better.

If I'm taking home $60,000 per year and my rent is $975 (divided by 2), that makes my yearly rent only 10% of my income. My rent could double and my income would only need to go up by 20% for me to come out ahead, with more disposable income. As for food, I scavenge from dumpsters for fruits and veggies, and order in bulk online for dried goods, so that's going to be pretty similar no matter where I go.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-01-2019, 01:46 PM   #82 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I accidentally found this listing, although I do not know where exactly it is. Whenever I find apartments for rent they are $750 a month, utilities not included: https://showlow.craigslist.org/apa/d...779065604.html

That is what I pay Mom for room and board, utilities included. The last room that I rented was $400 a month and I used to spend $400 a month to eat spaghetti and sandwiches.

My metabolism has slowed down, but I still eat more than anyone that I know. However, I am apparently nearly 250 pounds, which is supposedly obese.

I should do something about that.

We need more vegetables around here.

I keep thinking that I need to exercise, but four hours of shoveling snow last night counts, right?

I did not even last three hours this morning, but I only slept four hours last night.

That was unexpected.

May the nap spirits smile upon me!
Old 01-01-2019, 02:22 PM   #83 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
Shoveling snow is great exercise. The Japanese even developed a science around it. (Just scroll down and look at the pictures.)

Unfortunately, although incredibly important to your health, exercise does NOT make you lose weight! That is a total myth.

Science in Europe and the USA has determined that the #1 problem regarding weight is added sugar, in any of its forms. The absolute best way to lose weight is to consume less sugar. Sugar can exacerbate hypertension and causes inflammation. The body prefers to convert it straight into fat as opposed to metabolizing it.

Reduce your daily caloric intake by reducing the amount of added sugar you consume in order to lose weight. There's no real other way. Also you can NOT replace the added sugar with artificial sweeteners. This will change the composition if the bacteria in your stomach and make it more efficient at extracting sugar from OTHER foods. Artificial sweeteners such as Splenda or Sweet-n-Low CONTRIBUTE to obesity and weight gain because of this effect. Zero calorie diet sodas are therefore out of the picture as well.

I don't have a good ability to like resist sugary foods made available to me, I will eat them, but I am able to purposefully NOT buy them. I no longer buy cookies or ice cream or sugary drinks or candies, and when I go out to eat 95% of the time I ask for water which also saves me money.

I buy peanut butter that has nothing added to it, the kind that is straight peanuts. The only cereal I buy is shredded wheat which has no sugar or high-fructose corn syrup added to it. I look at the label to see what I'm getting for just about everything I buy.

Last edited by Natalya; 01-01-2019 at 02:28 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Natalya For This Useful Post:
Gasoline Fumes (01-01-2019), seifrob (01-02-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #84 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
Shoveling snow is great exercise. The Japanese even developed a science around it. (Just scroll down and look at the pictures.)

Unfortunately, although incredibly important to your health, exercise does NOT make you lose weight! That is a total myth.

Science in Europe and the USA has determined that the #1 problem regarding is added sugar, in any of its forms. The absolute best way to lose weight is to consume less sugar. Sugar can exacerbate hypertension and causes inflammation. The body prefers to convert it straight into fat as opposed to metabolizing it.

Reduce your daily caloric intake by reducing the amount of added sugar you consume in order to lose weight. There's no real other way. Also you can NOT replace the added sugar with artificial sweeteners. This will change the composition if the bacteria in your stomach and make it more efficient at extracting sugar from OTHER foods. Artificial sweeteners such as Splenda or Sweet-n-Low CONTRIBUTE to obesity and weight gain because of this effect. Zero calorie diet sodas are therefore out of the picture as well.

I don't have a good ability to like resist sugary foods made available to me, I will eat them, but I am able to purposefully NOT buy them. I no longer buy cookies or ice cream or sugary drinks or candies, and when I go out to eat 95% of the time I ask for water which also saves me money.
While most of this reflects what I've read as well, my brother dropped from 220 to 140lbs over the course of a year by removing most added sugars from his diet and replacing them in his coffee with Equal, with the addition of loosely counting calories. Artificial sweeteners seem to be working fine at least for him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Xist (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 08:33 PM   #85 (permalink)
Not Doug

Mom's scale says that I weigh 205 pounds and I know that is inaccurate. When I was in the Guard I would get down to 210 when they weighed me every six months, but that was over two years ago, and I have hardly exercised since.

Exercise totally works. You just need to burn 7,000 calories to lose one pound.

I think running two miles used to burn 230 calories.

Then I was hungrier.

Vegetables...

Guess what? I do not like vegetables!

I am usually not a big fan of sugar, but there are always cravings. I have had several dates lately (look at me! I am dating!), I always ordered water, and I do not believe that I have ordered dessert. With one young lady I drove her to the dollar store afterward and introduced her to their Italian ice.

I do not think that fifty calories did me permanent harm.

Supposedly people sneak sugar into food to make it taste better, but I will try to watch my sugar intake, and eat more vegetables instead of real food.

Does soaking vegetables in butter make sense to any of you?
Old 01-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #86 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Supposedly people sneak sugar into food to make it taste better, but I will try to watch my sugar intake, and eat more vegetables instead of real food.

Couldn't hurt. My ex couldn't stand any vegetables and then went vegan one day after seeing a particularly gruesome documentary. It was a few months before there was anything she would eat, but eventually she came to like most veggies. If butter is your gateway drug, go for it.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:44 PM   #87 (permalink)
Not Doug

People often tell me that I do not eat enough fat.

"Cheese. I get my fat from cheese."

Cheese makes almost everything better--except pancakes. I regretted that.

The ex that I keep mentioning once said "I don't like vegetables, except with ranch, or mayonaise."

She also outweighed me, while being a foot shorter, and she gained a great deal of weight after we broke up.

I always try to eat salad without dressing, but then I hate it. This indicates that a homemade vinaigrette is the healthiest lubricant: https://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-...ight-loss.aspx

It also says that a salad can easily have as many calories as a burger.

I keep ordering salads and then finding bacon and fried things.

I was interested in finding tasty vegan food when I was dating a 90% vegan. I wish that dating me and making good decisions did not seem to be mutually exclusive.

Why is dating me a poor decision? I am not terrible!

There must be dozens of singles 30 - 45 in my area. Dozens of us! I figure that if I advertised that I was having a barbecue and made clear that it would be good food, not just the cheapest hot dogs, burgers, and buns that I could find, I should have... some kind of turnout.

I have wanted to try things like these:

and

However, with as many cancellations as I have, I am unable to eat this way alone.

I need to figure out how to cook with my dates instead of going out to eat. With one we went to different restaurants twice and then to Denny's.

Fans asked The King of Random to boil water in a wooden bowl and they did not know if they could boil it before the water burned.

1. Boil water in a pot.
2. Place wooden bowl in boiling water.
3. Put water in the bowl and see if enough heat transfers through without burning.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2019, 10:21 PM   #88 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm getting way off topic.

If the goal is to lose weight, fewer calories always works in the end, I imagine there are just more or less miserable ways of achieving it. Stopping eating entirely (fasting) is probably the fastest way to lose weight, but any more than intermittently and without supplements I'm sure it's horrifically unhealthy.

Most vegetables have almost no calories. The salads I like most have spicy and tangy things which I find very palatable as a substitute for fat and sugar. Last night for dinner I had a bowl with lettuce, shredded carrots, a bit of onion, some halved olives (calories), sunflower seeds, nutritional yeast, pickled jalapenos, a few dried cranberries, black pepper, and a dressing that was mostly balsamic vinegar and a bit of sesame oil. Vinegar needs to go on first otherwise the oil coats the veggies and the vinegar all runs to the bottom.

Tonight dinner was a "roast" I made with seitan, wrapped in foil baked with some vegan worcestershire and soy sauce plus some dark veggie broth, along with potatoes, onions and carrots. Reminds me vaguely of the food my mother made while growing up in the south.

One of my favorites is finding a bunch of flawless tomatoes in the compost bins behind my local supermarket and making a homemade Italian sauce. Great for pasta or lasagna. Cooked tomatos are delicious but in the quantity I like to eat them it's hard for me to justify the price.

Or how about veggie "sushi"? Avocado, cucumber and carrots wrapped in rice with a bit of rice vinegar. Maybe some volcano style ones with oyster mushroom and a spicy Sriracha mayo.

Anyway it's actually pretty hard for me to consistently meet my calorie needs without artificially adding junk or oil to my diet.

Last edited by Ecky; 01-01-2019 at 10:26 PM..
Old 01-01-2019, 11:50 PM   #89 (permalink)
Not Doug

The topic is the sold dubious Insight, so no worries.

I think that I have mentioned asking produce managers if I could gather old produce for compost.

Except I would actually compost it.

Hey, we lack real dirt here in Arizona!

I know that the Japanese have been eating raw fish for years, but are cucumbers the only alternative?
Old 01-02-2019, 12:02 AM   #90 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I was wondering how this topic could run to nine pages. Now that I'm here I see.

Quote:
When I was poor and living in an actual garret, I lived on baked potatoes. If I had the money, I'd get butter and make twice baked potatoes or on special occasions walk down to KFC and get a serving of gravy to take home.

Now I get frozen shredded potatoes and boil eggs to split them and mix in mustard and mayo to make deviled eggs.