Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2021, 01:27 PM   #121 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Makes sense, yet groundwater contamination may be a matter of concern.
I'm sure in the town that was built there to mine the coal and run the powerplant. Otherwise population in the aera would have been about 5. They have .3% of the area covered in surface water and although not technically a desert, they only get 15 inches a year precipitation spread out pretty evenly throughout the year. I'm sure the worst runoff is when the ground is frozen and the snow is melting, but then the ground is frozen so there is little erosion of the contamination. I don't know if you could pick a less environmentally impactful place for industry. Certainly looks better than any of the lithium mines you see pictures of.

Here is the 4 power plants, the town, and the mine stretching off about 10 miles into the distance.

Each one of those plants can 100% power the city of Tacoma at the highest peak usage they have ever had.

Last edited by Hersbird; 07-02-2021 at 01:33 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-02-2021, 07:21 PM   #122 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I don't know if you could pick a less environmentally impactful place for industry.
The only coal-fired powerplant I went for a tour was located at a place which is not so sparsely populated, yet most of its fly ash were used as a feedstock for a cement factory built nearby. The major complaint was due to the storage of the coal in an open area where rain could wash away some of the sulphur impurity into the soil and groundwater, otherwise it didn't look dirty at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Hersbird (07-03-2021)
Reply  Post New Thread