Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
Well you're the one who's afraid to remove them.
Where did I say I'm afraid to remove them?? I've driven most of my life without them in most of my cars. Airbags have been around since the '70's and are a very well proven safety device, in particular newer designs which are smart and will deploy with more/less force as needed, etc.

But since newer cars like my Yaris have them and they DO work, I'm just strongly implying that anyone who does remove/disable them is an idiot and is a few fries short of a happy meal

Good luck to you my friend. You're gonna need it.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-22-2011, 02:02 AM   #32 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Let's say the person most likely to be riding in my car is an elderly woman.

I am convinced that the airbags exploding with her in the passenger seat, would result in her death.

So that's a foregone conclusion.

Now, since she would be dead as a result of them, there is no way that they would then save her life.

To me, it would be irresponsible of anyone knowing of this possiblity, to leave the airbags in the car.
Your logic fails at the sentence beginning with "I am convinced." The airbags "exploding" with her in the passenger seat will keep her from either hitting the dashboard/windshield and dying, or at a minimum, straining so badly against the seatbelt so as to sustain major internal injuries. At the very worst, she will suffer superficial burns to the face.

In the 18 years from 1990 to 2007, there have been 13 deaths to adults in the passenger seat from airbags. That's less than one per year. Airbags saved 24,334 lives during that same time period, and not counting idiots who put children in rear-facing child seats in an airbag-enabled seat, caused 132 deaths.

It's irresponsible and, frankly, idiotic, to disable working airbags except in very extreme examples (i.e. the owner and sole driver is 4'10" and is right up against the steering wheel.)

Old 03-22-2011, 02:19 AM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
There have only been two passenger fatalities associated w/ air bag deployment in 1999 and later vehicles in the U.S. and both of those were in vehicles that are much larger than your Honda. You're certifiable if you think that two deaths indicate an airbag deployment would always result in the death of your elderly passenger.

Someone could reasonably be cautious by moving the seat up and back a bit since both of those deaths were from subdural hematomas, probably because both passengers were relatively small women in relatively large vehicles and were smacked in the head when the airbag deployed, but stopping them from functioning entirely would be fool-hardy due to the support/cushion they can provide in a serious crash.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:23 AM   #34 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

Team Honda

Quote:
So my logic fails to the lack of your understanding.

Why should I bother to read anything else that you've written.
Because it's actual numbers from real studies and reports, not tinfoil-hatters or ambulance chasers.

Quote:
Do a few searches to see the results of airbag explosions, which you're not aware of, and I already have done. I'm not going to do this for you, as it is your responsibility to find the truth for yourself.
I have. There have been 258 airbag-related deaths in 20 years, over 100 of which were children who were in a rear-facing carseat. Airbags have saved over 24,000 lives in that same time period. There has not been a passenger-seat airbag-related death in over 8 years.

You're not going to find that airbag-disable fuse with your head in the sand.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:33 AM   #35 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

Team Honda

Quote:
Okay let's confine any additional responses to how to disable the airbags in the honda.

Otherwise you're off topic. Thanks.
Oh, so sorry, you didn't identify yourself as a moderator.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #36 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Okay let's confine any additional responses to how to disable the airbags in the honda.

Thanks for asking nicely but nobody made you boss so I equally politely decline to follow that request. You have answers on how, you also have a (majority) of answers as to why not. Other people may stumble here from Google (other search engines are available) and maybe they should know the full risks involved, no ?

But you have established its not illegal to disable them and even if it was it is your responsibility for your actions and the consequences of them.

On that, one final question.

If you disable them and a relative of mine dies in your car and it is established that functioning airbags could have helped that person survive had you not disabled them, can I or my insurance company with their big, scary lawyers come and sue you ?

It seems strong grounds for a case to me.

Your choice.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #37 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:

Maybe in the Unicorn Corral. But even there, discussion of the implications of removing the airbags are fair game.

Meanwhile, I actually like Creepers, as they're the only source of legit TNT. I keep a bow on hotkey 3, and I'm a pretty quick draw. If you want to set up a persistent EcoRenovator MineCraft server, I'll show you how I set up perimeter fences.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
From 1990 to 2002 US traffic fatalities are close to 500,000. Now they have dropped from a peak of over 50k yearly, to the present level as the safety improvements have become almost universal in the vehicle population.

Yep, I have driven cars without airbags, seat belts, safety windshields, disc brakes, even without hydraulic brakes. or dual circuit brake systems. Old style windshields that cut your head off when you fly through them, and radio knobs that punch holes in your skull, and metal dashboards. How about no side guard beams so when you get hit in one side it knocks the seat right off the tracks and bends the door out from the inside on the opposite side. How about drum breaks with no power assist so when a wheel bearing fails the front wheel and brake drum just fly off the car completely.

Ever dodge one of them coming at you down the road at 45 MPH, or the car behind them with no steering.

regards
Mech
Old 03-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Can we please have the moderator move this thread to Off-Topic Tech. It has nothing to do with ecomodding DIY.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #40 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
how to disable or remove the airbags

I found this good thread on a chevy forum that shows how to remove the dead weight of the airbags.

Quote:
First of , you need to disconnect the battery ... Then take a large screw driver. (Did you disconnect the battery?). Your airbag is a square box inside your steering wheel ... Put the screw driver in one of the corners and bend it, so the corner sticks out. Do the same with all the other corners untill you have the airbag in your hands. (Please tell me you disconnected the battery by now ). There will be some plugs on the battery [box?] ... pull out all the wiress (not sure how many there will be, but my best guess is there should be 6) .
there you have it... you dismantled your first bomb. Congratulations.

Last edited by j12piprius; 03-22-2011 at 03:30 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread