Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
button presser

TAVs Prius - '10 Toyota Prius IV
90 day: 50.86 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to vielecustoms Send a message via MSN to vielecustoms Send a message via Yahoo to vielecustoms
eh, for the $10 I think I would pay to have someone swap out my cars tires...

on the other hand if I was still scrapping, I built a hydraulic rim splitter, like the idea above except it holds the rim in a cage so it doesn't fall off or go flying, for the local JY. basically, splits or crushes the rim, toss the rim in one pile and the tire in the other. far less time consuming than actually breaking down each tire. than of course you still have to get rid of the tires that you cant sell, that eats into your profits.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Clyde - '98 Honda Civic EX

Mickey - '90 Honda Civic Wagon rt4wd
gotta swap a friend's good tire on a cruddy spare with the cruddy tire on his good rim soon, this thread should save him a few bucks now oh to be young and broke..
Old 07-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vielecustoms View Post
eh, for the $10 I think I would pay to have someone swap out my cars tires...

on the other hand if I was still scrapping, I built a hydraulic rim splitter, like the idea above except it holds the rim in a cage so it doesn't fall off or go flying, for the local JY. basically, splits or crushes the rim, toss the rim in one pile and the tire in the other. far less time consuming than actually breaking down each tire. than of course you still have to get rid of the tires that you cant sell, that eats into your profits.
I have a rim crusher that doesn't damage the tire. I don't like to use it because it takes energy that I have to pay for, versus my own energy that I can afford to expend... helps keep me from getting fatter.

If I'm in a hurry to remove a set of tires for someone, or if I need a few extras for a load of steel, whatever, I'll use the crusher.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
button presser

TAVs Prius - '10 Toyota Prius IV
90 day: 50.86 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to vielecustoms Send a message via MSN to vielecustoms Send a message via Yahoo to vielecustoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I have a rim crusher that doesn't damage the tire. I don't like to use it because it takes energy that I have to pay for, versus my own energy that I can afford to expend... helps keep me from getting fatter.

If I'm in a hurry to remove a set of tires for someone, or if I need a few extras for a load of steel, whatever, I'll use the crusher.
this doesn't damage the tire either, just squashes the rim. unless of course they leave air in it...
power consumption is not even noticeable, I probably use more power just firing up the welder.