Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Hybrids not the cheapest car to drive (according to edmunds)

Via ABG

Quote:
Edmunds.com recently concluded a study which indicated that a hybrid may not be the cheapest way to travel. The truth is that many normal small cars cost less in the long run to operate, despite the fact that their fuel mileage may not reach that of a comparable hybrid vehicle. Of course, all of the associated bits and pieces which make a hybrid a hybrid cost money, especially such big-ticket items as the motor, batteries and computer systems. This fact means that a typical hybrid vehicle is going to cost more than a vehicle with a single drivetrain.

Coming in at the top of the list for cheap transportation is the Chevrolet Aveo. Of course, before plunking down your hard-earned cash, we'd suggest doing a bit more research. The Honda Civic hybrid managed to break the top twenty for low-cost transportation, though it would spring into the top ten if gas were to hit $5 a gallon, which it surely will. The popular Prius lands at number 34 at current gas prices and would reach number 26 at the five-buck a gallon gas price. Certainly, there's plenty more to consider than just the cost to operate a vehicle, such as how much space is available and safety ratings. Still, for those looking for mobility on the cheap, the Aveo is tops. For everyone else...
I know a lot of people will try to make you think that a hybrid is the only car to drive if you want to save money. While hybrids make you look green and can get you showoffable fuel economy, they can't beat that old standby, "don't buy what you don't need," it seems.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Attached is a spread sheet showing total cost for different cars..
just change the two values in the upper left (dollars per gallon for cost of gas, and miles driven per year) and see how much MORE or LESS the car would cost in total than a toyota yaris. This started out as a ms excell document,( I did not create the original) and I updated it on openoffice in fedora (I dont do windows ). I don't THINK it has a windows virus, but I have no idea.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Car-Mileage.xls (104.5 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by ttoyoda; 06-27-2008 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 06-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Does that factor in depreciation and maintenance and all that as well?
Old 06-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

you got me on that one.. No the only maintnace is battery cost allowance, and the only cost on the car is original purchase price. I never even thought of depreciation.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

And if you find any errors in it please mention it.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Yeah, doing depreciation I think is what makes it really tricky. I imagine edmunds spent a lot of time on that bit.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I guess it only matters if you keep the car a short time.. I have 5 year and 10 year time markers for the costs, and I usually only get rid of a car by giving it away free..
Old 06-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Plus I would claim depreciation is not predictable... Back when gas was inexpensive, the depreciation of a gas-hungry vehicle was not much. Now with gas prices as they are I suspect the depreciation is much worse..
(waves hands)
Old 06-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
HAHA, well my car is listed on that list .. whoo hoo, so I punched in my average numbers and guess what for me the Matrix came out at #1. LOL

I know its a little unfair because I have never eco-driven any other models on the list, but my numbers are real and therefore my car is currently better than a hybrid....

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 06-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
HAHA, well my car is listed on that list .. whoo hoo, so I punched in my average numbers and guess what for me the Matrix came out at #1. LOL
Do you mean that it costs less to run than the yaris with your usage?

Reply  Post New Thread