Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I use American Express to get the additional 3 cents a gallon off. Reciept printed at the pump. Last tank was $3.129 at a Shell station near Hopewell. A little over $3.049 after the discount. I usually never go in the store. I pay the wife with cash when I get home and she gets a little extra cash from the credit card company. Few stations here offer a cash discount or I would go that route .

regards
Mech
I also use AMEX for my fuel. Since they give me 6% back, a normal gallon would have to be discounted more than $.18 (when they do a cash discount) to be cheaper.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Cool

When was this? I was at Fort Lee last week we could of met up. JimE lives not too far from me and we are always wanting to meet other members and especially Insight owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Last tank was $3.129 at a Shell station near Hopewell. A little over $3.049 after the discount.regards Mech
Old 03-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Well, the forces of I Can Count and See What's Right In Front of Me have been defeated by the combined forces of Math is Hard Even When It's Explained and Meh.

I called the local office (not dispatch) line and explained. I got the unconcern I expected- it's not like I was reporting a violent crime. He really seemed to think that I was concerned about an inaccurate receipt. He said a couple times that "we can't just go down there and start accusing people." But he did pass it on and shortly I got a call from whom I suppose I should call the investigating officer. Again, bland unconcern as you'd expect (not in a bad way)- but she was interested in getting details right and ended with "I'll go down and have a talk with some people."

It didn't pan out. I got another call later. The manager had explained that the receipt had accidentally been taken from the wrong machine, and I could come back to get a proper receipt.

I tried. I reported, I explained. It's not my job to watch out for the owner of some gas station/convenience store beyond that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 03-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Im sure they get calls like this all the time from x boy/girl friends and such considering the type that works at a gas station.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
When was this? I was at Fort Lee last week we could of met up. JimE lives not too far from me and we are always wanting to meet other members and especially Insight owners.
Hey, if you want to meet up PM me. The wife is going to her daughters house Saturday and Sunday. I'll get you my email addy and phone number. If you want to come down to the Burg y'all can look at my project, but I sold the Insight a while back. It would be interesting to see what I could do in a manual, mine was a CVT.

regards
Mech
Old 03-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Fat Charlie, you did more than most others would!

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,379 Times in 3,354 Posts
To my knowledge, I've never been ripped off by a gas attendant, but one has saved me from being scammed.

I went to pump my gas late one night, and some kids approached saying they ran out of gas and didn't have enough money to make it back home. I asked where they lived, and figured $10 would get them home. Instead of paying them, I went into the store, handed the clerk the $10 and said it was gas money for the kids.

Just as I was getting back into my car, the clerk came out and said the kids were asking him to give the money back to them instead of using it for gas. The kids jumped in their car, started it, and took off. The clerk gave the money to me, and I gave it right back to him.

I'm impressed when people keep their integrity, even while working a minimum wage job, and when nobody is watching over them.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 03-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yeah, most people are nice. I like those who wear name tags and use their name as if I know them in conversation.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ome time recently in a MacDonalds the cashier gave me back about $2.50 too much. I never put the money in my pocket and told her she gave me too much back. You would have thought I had exposed myself the way everyone around me was looking at me when I returend the excess change.

It wasn't my money.

I always say when you get short changed or over charged, if it was accidental, then it would randomly be 50% of each scenario. In my experience it's about 99% overcharge which is no mistake.

I worked in a gas station when I was 17. One shift I was working with the owner and when we closed up shop and balanced the register, it came out to the penny. He was flabbergasted, told me that had not happened in over 20 years. I told him I thought that was they way it should be every time.

Once in a bar in Key West Florida I ordered a drink, gave the barkeep a $20 (Think it was Sloppy Joe's or Captain Tonys). He gives me back change for a $10. I immediately questioned that and eventually the manager told me he would refund me the money if his register balance was over by $10 at the end of the night.

I told him I did not realize that when I bought a drink I was assuming responsibility for balancing his register with every payment. It really PO'ed me since I only had $25 in my pocket when I walked into the bar and had driven 20 miles to get there.

I went back to that bar, probably for a year, and every drink I bought , I only gave them enough paper to cover the drink cost, put the change in my pocket and gave no tip. It probably cost the thief 30 times the amount of money that they had stolen from me when they took that $10 that they did not deserve. I always ordered from the same barkeep that had shortchanged me initially.

I can't stand a thief.

regards
Mech
Old 03-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Heck, my wife returned 4 apples she bought yesterday. They had them on special for 99 cents but the cashier had charge her twice that. She did not catch it until she got home. They gave her her money back and let her keep the apples.

regards
Mech

Reply  Post New Thread