Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #71 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Ok, yeah, we have TONS of blind on-ramps in southeast Michigan. They basically dump traffic directly into the slow lane and if you're not careful you almost run into people. It doesn't help that the 90's Grand Caravans with rusted out rocker panels and blown rear shocks take their sweet time speeding up. Probably because half of them are running on three cylinders and have a swealing wheel bearing... no, seriously. Detroiters drive really ****ty cars.

Usually the traffic in the right lane is going somewhere between 60-70mph here, so I try to make it up to 65mph, merge in back of the nearest person, then after the dust settles, I slow back down to 55mph and let people start passing me. It's all about being predictable, so merging smoothly is very important to maintain traffic flow. After the chaos of merging, it's easier to do 55mph without messing with people's feeble grasp on traffic patterns.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #72 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
songman- You've basically got it. Ever since Eisenhower brought us those wide, straight limited access highways, speed limits have had nothing at all to do with safety. Then when Congress gave us 55, they straight out admitted that it had nothing to do with safety.

So we almost entirely ignore them. The only real reason most people here obey the limit ever is because of the revenue generators... er, police. Staying less than 10 over the PSL is how most Murricans hypermile- they're not going so far over the limit that they'll get an expensive ticket. In recent years Washington has loosened its grip on limits and let states set them, but our contempt for the limits was here to stay.

Meanwhile, we find the lower PSLs useful because they give us an excuse to go more slowly. Not as slowly as we might want to- my POS's highest numbers come around 35-40, but still slower than traffic would otherwise go. I can say "look, I'm already going faster than I want to, and that's a personal favor to you, tjts1. But why on Earth would I break the law as a favor to someone as rude as you?"

In the meantime, commercials and our daydreams always have clear roads with no traffic or obstructions and we can do 150 mph all the time. In real life, the road was not built to be your personal amusement park and other people use it sometimes. And so we get this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Even if you're using the slow lane, if you're forcing semi trucks to pass you on the left in the fast lane, you're impeding traffic. Get off the freeway and use side streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 08-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #73 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by songman View Post
I get a strong feeling here of a concept that the maximum is actually the "required" speed in the US
BINGO

It is the required minimum and in some places is strictly enforced by everyone, except for the few self righteous assholes blocking traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
In real life, the road was not built to be your personal amusement park and other people use it sometimes. And so we get this:
You're right. The interstate highway system was originally built for 70mph, back in the bad old days of bias ply tires and drum brakes.

Last edited by tjts1; 08-01-2013 at 05:09 PM..

Old 08-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
BINGO

It is the required minimum and in some places is strictly enforced by everyone, except for the few self righteous assholes blocking traffic.

You're right. The interstate highway system was originally built for 70mph. Learninate your history, son.
Maybe you should read the minimum speed law that you posted earlier. Clearly it says that a person can drive at any speed as long as it is in compliance with the law. Around here, the law says 70 mph max and 40 mph minimum.

The maximum speed limit is not a required speed. If you believe it is, you need to say it out loud to hear how ridiculous it sounds. I can imagine a father trying to teach his son to drive. "Now son, make sure you stay at 70 mph or else the police will pull you over."

I'm still waiting for you to say "just kidding guys" because what you are posting is that ridiculous.

Quote:
V C Section 22400 Minimum Speed Law

(a) No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law.

No person shall bring a vehicle to a complete stop upon a highway so as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic unless the stop is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

(b) Whenever the Department of Transportation determines on the basis of an engineering and traffic survey that slow speeds on any part of a state highway consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the department may determine and declare a minimum speed limit below which no person shall drive a vehicle, except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law, when appropriate signs giving notice thereof are erected along the part of the highway for which a minimum speed limit is established.

Subdivision (b) of this section shall apply only to vehicles subject to registration.

Amended Ch. 364, Stats. 1979. Effective January 1, 1980

Last edited by cbaber; 08-01-2013 at 05:17 PM..

Old 08-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #75 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
First of all I admit not having read the whole thread.

The PA Turnpike, the first "superhighway" in the US, originally had no speed limit. Folks used to take the family out in the Ford on Sunday afternoons, put the pedal to the floor, and see just what the flathead V8 would do.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #76 (permalink)
In the slow lane

Civic Type R - '08 Honda Civic
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
BINGO

Maximum is maximum. I know US English differs from UK English in some respects (you peasants ), but I don't think those terms are different. It would actually mean that the ONLY speed at which you can travel is that exact given speed, as anything both under and over would be illegal. It simply isn't possible - or, for that matter, rational.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post

The speed of a vehicle when entering a highway is not addressed by traffic laws. What IS important is that those entering must yield to traffic on the highway, meaning an observance of right of way is required as a universal rule of the road.
That's very true, but there are also instances where the layout of the road is challenging. This doesn't excuse the responsibilities of the drivers, but the confluence of road and vehicle can make it hard to deliver as the rest of the motoring population expects. We have a couple of onramps around here that, once the ramp comes to an end, about fifty yards later so does the shoulder. If you haven't merged, you either come to a stop or you scrape on the wall.

Couple that with, for instance, my geriatric truck full of firewood at rush hour, and you have to hope that you can find a gap big enough to stuff your nose into because you just won't be going at full speed when the ramp runs out. You won't, and there's no way to change that. At this point you're relying on the charity of other drivers, sometimes in vain.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #78 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Oh how I wish I was driving in front of tits right now.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
AlaricD (08-15-2013), chumly (08-02-2013), doviatt (08-01-2013), kYLEMtnCRUZr (08-23-2014)
Old 08-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #79 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
That's very true, but there are also instances where the layout of the road is challenging. This doesn't excuse the responsibilities of the drivers, but the confluence of road and vehicle can make it hard to deliver as the rest of the motoring population expects.
I agree. Driving in a responsible way is a challenge. That's why all jurisdictions require written and road testing before granting a license to drive. However, having a license doesn't make you a good driver. That comes with experience.

Quote:
We have a couple of onramps around here that, once the ramp comes to an end, about fifty yards later so does the shoulder. If you haven't merged, you either come to a stop or you scrape on the wall.
If you are a good driver you will wait if necessary near the beginning of the ramp until traffic in the merge lane clears, then accelerate (hard, if necessary) to merge responsibly without causing a problem.

Quote:
Couple that with, for instance, my geriatric truck full of firewood at rush hour, and you have to hope that you can find a gap big enough to stuff your nose into because you just won't be going at full speed when the ramp runs out. You won't, and there's no way to change that. At this point you're relying on the charity of other drivers, sometimes in vain.
No, there IS a way to change that, by changing your driving strategy. You will be able to merge into the lane if you assess the situation, and bide your time before merging responsibly and courteously. It does not require charity from others. It does require the exercise of your own good judgment.

BTW, I hope your geriatric truck is roadworthy and not overloaded beyond its weight capacity.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #80 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Picture tjts ticketed by the cops in a speed trap town for driving 40 mph in a 35 mph zone. He goes before the judge.

Judge: You were cited for driving 40 in a 35 mph zone. What do you have to say for yourself.

tjts: 35 mph is the required minimum and in some places is strictly enforced by everyone. You have a lot of self righteous assholes blocking traffic in this town. Why aren't your cops ticketing them?

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg

The Following User Says Thank You to SentraSE-R For This Useful Post:
kYLEMtnCRUZr (08-23-2014)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread