Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have my first hybrid!! And I need help (07' honda civic hybrid)

It appears the battery is going out. Im going to get one of the reconditioning packs that are avalable, but not sure is that will do it. The IMA light came on once and then left, and code two codes over voltage spike and abs malfunction. To my understanding the ima battery imbalance or failing causes this and maybe the reconditioning will undo it?

This is an 07' honda civic hybrid, well out of warranty.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I don't know a lot about the system you descibe, but I know that you might want to offer a little more detail about the problem and the proposed fix. This thread seems to discuss your problem: 05 HCH ABS / IMA Lights - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars

Today is a holiday, of course, so hang tight and see what responses come today/omorrow.

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well assuming I rule out battery, what else can be done?
Old 05-31-2016, 12:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridGates View Post
The IMA light came on once and then left, and code two codes over voltage spike and abs malfunction.
It sounds quite strange, an IMA malfunction shouldn't have any relation to the ABS malfunction.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
It sounds quite strange, an IMA malfunction shouldn't have any relation to the ABS malfunction.
hard to say
Old 07-17-2016, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Vixen21, Smart fortwo cdi

Did you resolve your issue with civic?
I would question the 12volt converter and IMA.
The IMA provides voltage to charge the a 12volt battery, and the 12volt electronics. But it uses the 12 volt converter module to step down the voltage.
So if you're having weird failures that don't make sense. Don't overlook the converter as having problems, and or a marginal 12 V battery .
Additional;
I live in Iowa and have a pile of modules and near new IMA from a 2007 civic hibrid.
Between the two of us with might have a car running like new.
Jack
Old 07-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
Did you resolve your issue with civic?
I would question the 12volt converter and IMA.
The IMA provides voltage to charge the a 12volt battery, and the 12volt electronics. But it uses the 12 volt converter module to step down the voltage.
So if you're having weird failures that don't make sense. Don't overlook the converter as having problems, and or a marginal 12 V battery .
Additional;
I live in Iowa and have a pile of modules and near new IMA from a 2007 civic hibrid.
Between the two of us with might have a car running like new.
Jack
IM not far from iowa. Do you think you can do the battery reconditioning with a Hybrid automotive kit(which I have)? I have not solved it, and current I got an Ima code, but it went away after restarting the car. Its odd because it does this thing where it goes down to two bars, charges for a little while, then goes back to full bars, and after some use, skips down to two bars, and does that cycle again. Im guessing a few cells are screwed, but not all.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
^^
You're describing recalibrating. I suspect you may have a few weak cells in your pack. As you use charge from the pack, those cells go below a certain cutoff voltage before the others do. When that happens, the system automatically bottoms out the meter and forces a charge cycle on the pack until the pack indicates that it's full. I'm not 100% on the processes at play here and if EM member S Keith comes on and says something different, listen to him. It was his guidance that walked me through getting my pack back in order.

I purchased a grid charger from Hybrid Revolt and wired it in. Took an afternoon - evening, really, and it was cold, and it didn't take long. That kept my system working okay for a while. Then I started getting more and more recals and the IMA light came on and stayed on. Obviously grid charging, while helpful, isn't everything you need.

Then I followed instructions to build a discharger. Following (some of, because I am a bit pigheaded that way) S Keith's advice I pulled the entire pack down to a total of about 55v DC. S Keith told me he has discharged packs all the way down to 2.0V DC, which is about as dead as a battery can get when you consider that total of 2.0 volts is coming from 144 cells. Done gently, it doesn't harm the cells. I have been enjoying a nearly-new performing IMA battery, though it seems to me that it's begun to get a little out of balance again and the next time I do the discharge, I'll pull it deeper.

I think your HCH is a generation newer than mine, but this was the process I followed when I was experiencing some symptoms similar to yours, and it has been working well since. For a few bucks building a discharger is easy.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
Also: Honda hybrids tend to throw a whole mishmash of codes when the 12v battery is bad or ground straps are bad.

I would try it with a known good 12v and inspect your grounds as a very first step.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
^^
OP is in Nebraska, Zed. 50% off won't cover shipping the car to the UK.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Reply  Post New Thread