Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2023, 07:46 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Well I didn't do all that, too many chemicals involved... I just figured out a way to save me $50 on everything. By never getting involved in $50 prymind schemes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (01-24-2023)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-25-2023, 07:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
1979 VW Dasher diesel. The Dasher was a rebadged B2 Passat which was a rebadged Audi 80.

Longitudinal slant four. I had to let go because I lost a parking space.
That reminds me of my VW diesel. What happened to VW? They used to make awesome cool cars! Now they can't seem to even figure out how to name a vehicle (I'm talking about names like ID dot three, ID dot four, ID dot Buzz).
Old 01-25-2023, 10:47 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
What happened to VW? They used to make awesome cool cars! Now they can't seem to even figure out how to name a vehicle.
Same thing happened to Apple. Their 1984 Human Interface Guidelines were epoch-making (Windows) but even Jobs fell away.

Now comes helloSystem. https://github.com/helloSystem/hello
Quote:
What?
A desktop system for creators that focuses on simplicity, elegance, and usability.

Following the published Human Interface Guidelines, and First Principles of Interaction Design liberally re-interpreted for today.

Based on FreeBSD.

For mere mortals. Welcoming to switchers from macOS. Not just a theme. Not a clone of anything, but something with which the long-time Mac user should feel instantly comfortable. The latest technologies, without the complexities of Linux distributions. Without lockdown. Without Big Brother. The user in full control.

Less, but better!

Why?
Because we used to like the Mac, since 1984. But it's increasingly getting... difficult:
[25 bullet points]
We will see if this or Asahi Linux matures earliest.
Quote:
https://asahilinux.org
Asahi Linux
Linux on Apple Silicon. Asahi Linux aims to bring you a polished Linux® experience on Apple Silicon Macs. Learn more. Download. The Asahi Linux alpha release is out! Check out the announcement.

Old 01-26-2023, 03:36 AM   #34 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
That reminds me of my VW diesel. What happened to VW? They used to make awesome cool cars! Now they can't seem to even figure out how to name a vehicle (I'm talking about names like ID dot three, ID dot four, ID dot Buzz).
Trying to go upscale, even while it already owned other brands which had such appeal. You know, selling a bare-bones econobox at large volumes may keep a healthy cash flow, but adding some bells and whistles in order to charge a premium and decreasing its appeal as a mass product in an attempt to make it look "cool" seems to be where VW lost its hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 03:42 PM   #35 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
selling a bare-bones econobox at large volumes may keep a healthy cash flow[...]
I would add that VW's high volume bare-bones econoboxes were still regarded as relatively good quality and reliable. That is what people want - tried and proven, simple yet reliable.
Not today's weird designs, overloaded with electronics that can mess up at any moment and cost a fortune to diagnoe, let alone fix.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 01-27-2023, 12:07 AM   #36 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I would add that VW's high volume bare-bones econoboxes were still regarded as relatively good quality and reliable. That is what people want - tried and proven, simple yet reliable.
Recently Volkswagen priced the Gol high enough to put it too expensive and thus uncompetitive against the Polo, got rid of the 1.6L engine in Brazil while keeping it for regional exports. Even though the Gol is in fact outdated, and most of its recent sales have been fleet orders, the resale value was still good as it's often perceived here as the Beetle's effective replacement. On a sidenote, the bet on turbocharged engines may also charge a toll soon, as many folks in neighboring countries prefer the non-turbo engines for simplicity and ease of maintenance, not to mention commercial operators such as taxi and Uber drivers due to the easier adaptation of a port-injection non-turbocharged engine to CNG compared to the TSI range.

Quote:
Not today's weird designs, overloaded with electronics that can mess up at any moment and cost a fortune to diagnoe, let alone fix.
Electronics are just the tip of the iceberg. What was the last Volkswagen engine that you remember mentioning as a dumbproof engine?
Old 01-28-2023, 02:38 PM   #37 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchbreaker View Post
I will pay the first two people who try this out will get $50 bucks each. They must post pictures of a competed fuel saver, the diesel vehicle being used and fuel saver resting on the fuel fill nozzle of that vehicle. Posting before and after fuel economy is also required.

The money will be sent preferably through Robinhood, in Bitcoin or other crypto junk. The $50 will be the value of the cryto at the time sent.

This offer will be void if my account gets deleted or two weeks pass after this post.
I smell magnets.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:19 PM   #38 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
I smell magnets.
I can *feel* them.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:47 PM   #39 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
E.Roy (01-29-2023), wdb (01-30-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 06:19 PM   #40 (permalink)
fuel conserver

Civic - '99 Honda Civic EX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchbreaker View Post
I will pay the first two people who try this out will get $50 bucks each. They must post pictures of a competed fuel saver, the diesel vehicle being used and fuel saver resting on the fuel fill nozzle of that vehicle. Posting before and after fuel economy is also required.

The money will be sent preferably through Robinhood, in Bitcoin or other crypto junk. The $50 will be the value of the cryto at the time sent.

This offer will be void if my account gets deleted or two weeks pass after this post.
Sign me up, I don't have Bitcoin, but can I send you my social security #, DOB and bank account, height and weight so you can do a deposit direct to my checking account?

'22 Tundra TRD OR
'04 RX330
'05 Tacoma 4x4
Reply  Post New Thread