Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #21 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonhawk View Post
Those look like the stock wheels on a chevy malibu.

Besides you can't expect much to survive between two loaded trucks if they have any sort of significant speed.
I haven't found a Malibu wheel that looks even remotely close to that, other than having 5 spokes...

cfg83 - The HHR's wheel is missing the lip detail, as MetroMPG suggested, but it's close.

I'm going to stay with the Ford Escape idea until we can find a wheel that fits better (It's not VolksWagen either, already checked) because well, we can't just challenge stuff without evidence to the contrary, and though the wheel doesn't look precisely like an Escape wheel, it also doesn't look entirely different (a la "Smart" idea). This same pic went through another forum with people claiming that it was a Prius... In fact, I think it was the Chrysler MiniVan Fan Club.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I for one think the post title is kinda stupid really, regardless of the car.

"i thought they were supposed to be safe" implies that there has EVER been ANY passenger car that guarantees your safety in the event of two, 20 ton commercial trucks tailgating each other with you in between.

Nothing in life is a guarantee of safety, and you can die in ANY car. Death and taxes are your guarantees... the rest is all up to chance and choice. I just find myself literally annoyed at the implication of the topic title that somehow it's disappointing to the OP that a "safe" car would be crushed in that circumstance.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel View Post
I for one think the post title is kinda stupid really, regardless of the car.

"i thought they were supposed to be safe" implies that there has EVER been ANY passenger car that guarantees your safety in the event of two, 20 ton commercial trucks tailgating each other with you in between.

Nothing in life is a guarantee of safety, and you can die in ANY car. Death and taxes are your guarantees... the rest is all up to chance and choice. I just find myself literally annoyed at the implication of the topic title that somehow it's disappointing to the OP that a "safe" car would be crushed in that circumstance.
I just chose to ignore that particular feeling by telling myself that safety, like almost everything in the world, is relative.

I'm sure the OP meant nothing by it, other than circumstantial hilarity at the expense of the apparent lack of safety of "whatever" vehicle was involved, given the obvious extreme circumstances.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Or always try to leave room ahead for an evasive maneuver and use your rear view mirror when slowing & stopped. Rear crash avoidance is an option!
Do all of you still feel safe sitting at a light with your engine off?
Old 08-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post

For that matter, do you still feel safe sitting in a parking space along side the road with your engine off, or should you have started the engine with remote start before getting into the car?

Old 08-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
MazdaMatt -

Quote:
Two weeks ago my co-worker got rear-ended while sitting at a stop light with the engine on. Categorically the fault of the rear-ender, who I think *was* on the phone. This is the second time this has happened to him, so he doesn't feel safe. You can prevent 90%, but that extra 10% is our of your hands.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 08-19-2009, 05:14 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
I would not feel safe if I was not aware of what is going on around me at all times while I'm operating my car. Whether the engine is running or not doesn't matter much to me.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 08-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I chastised the sender of this junk when I got it a couple of days before this thread.

It falls squarely into the category of neo-con spam.

I'm sure you've all gotten an avalanche of this sort of **** over the years.

It's all the same. Attempt to mislead/deceive by presenting something along with fundamentally flawed "facts", along with fundamentally flawed "conclusions". These can be outright lies and fabrications and/or, a bit sneakier, lies of omission.

At any rate, I find it interesting that after all these years, I can't recall getting garbage of this nature from the "Lib" side.

Oh yes, you sure wouldn't think the simple physics of a car/truck crash is political; it shouldn't be. But there is always that agenda that goes along with neocon spam distortions; in this case, it is the anti-small car/plant your ass in a giant SUV agenda.

What does the originator of this hope to gain by saying it's a Smart car, when it ain't?

I've told many people over the years that when I get that junk from them, it stops with me.

Why propogate it?

What do you get out of spreading lies?

Don't you ever get tired of being proven wrong??? I always "snopes 'em" or otherwise blow that junk out of the water.

Man, if I was wrong as often as they are, I'd be quite unhappy. And ashamed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
chumly (09-13-2012), NeilBlanchard (08-19-2009), The Atomic Ass (08-22-2009)
Old 08-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My Jetta - '99 Volkswagen Jetta
90 day: 22.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I haven't found a Malibu wheel that looks even remotely close to that, other than having 5 spokes...

cfg83 - The HHR's wheel is missing the lip detail, as MetroMPG suggested, but it's close.

I'm going to stay with the Ford Escape idea until we can find a wheel that fits better (It's not VolksWagen either, already checked) because well, we can't just challenge stuff without evidence to the contrary, and though the wheel doesn't look precisely like an Escape wheel, it also doesn't look entirely different (a la "Smart" idea). This same pic went through another forum with people claiming that it was a Prius... In fact, I think it was the Chrysler MiniVan Fan Club.
If you look closely at the wheels in the photo there appears to be a shallow indentation down the middle of the lower 3 spokes of the wheel. Now look at this stock photo of a 2004 chevy malibu:

Looking at the wheels on the chevy malibu you can see the indentations down the middle. If you look at the front wheel on the stock photo you can see the very topmost spoke appears to be completely smooth because of the lighting. I think that the wheel is very much similar in the accident photo. I may just be crazy though, lol
Old 08-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #30 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I chastised the sender of this junk when I got it a couple of days before this thread.

It falls squarely into the category of neo-con spam.

I'm sure you've all gotten an avalanche of this sort of **** over the years.

It's all the same. Attempt to mislead/deceive by presenting something along with fundamentally flawed "facts", along with fundamentally flawed "conclusions". These can be outright lies and fabrications and/or, a bit sneakier, lies of omission.

At any rate, I find it interesting that after all these years, I can't recall getting garbage of this nature from the "Lib" side.

Oh yes, you sure wouldn't think the simple physics of a car/truck crash is political; it shouldn't be. But there is always that agenda that goes along with neocon spam distortions; in this case, it is the anti-small car/plant your ass in a giant SUV agenda.

What does the originator of this hope to gain by saying it's a Smart car, when it ain't?

I've told many people over the years that when I get that junk from them, it stops with me.

Why propogate it?

What do you get out of spreading lies?

Don't you ever get tired of being proven wrong??? I always "snopes 'em" or otherwise blow that junk out of the water.

Man, if I was wrong as often as they are, I'd be quite unhappy. And ashamed.
My favorite ones are the ones that say, "I verified this on Snopes, and it's true!" That's a sure sign that it's wrong and sure enough, Snopes denies it.

I'm to the point now where I'm going to start bcc'ing everybody that was on the original thread when I reply.

The Following User Says Thank You to Clev For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (08-20-2009)
Reply  Post New Thread