Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
vorticity

Vorticity is a form of transverse boundary layer contamination, reported very early by NACA (precursor to NASA),during airship hull developments in the 1920s.
All vortices are a result of shear. The shear is a symptom of any adjoining flow fields of varying velocity/pressure (Bernoulli Theorem) which can physically come into contact with one another.
As high pressure always moves towards low pressure, in an effort to reach equilibrium pressure, then we're talking about 'slower' air flowing towards 'faster' air ( again, Bernoulli).
On an automobile, typically, the fastest air (and lowest pressure air) resides on top of the car, as the greenhouse eruption forces it to travel the longest path, while meeting the slowest air at the same time at the rear. ( this is where Julian is dead on,with respect to local pressures).
The only way this can happen is to travel faster over the top.
Since all streamlines are isoenergetic, due to 'conservation of energy' (Thermodynamics), the only way the faster air can gain kinetic energy of motion, is to lose potential energy of local pressure.( It's remarkably like the mass/energy trade-off in Einstein's Theory of Relativity ).
Slower, high pressure air alongside the vehicle is attracted to the low-pressure,fast-moving air above the vehicle, and their velocities where they come together determine whether or not shearing forces will be great enough to spool the intersecting flow up into a vortex ( like the Jet-Stream rolling a rising column of warm,moist,super-cell,Gulf air onto its side to create a tornado).
We know from experiment that, even on simple prismatic bodies, that all vorticity can be 'tuned' out, by careful treatment of the roof angle, side bot-tailing angle, and diffuser angle.
On more rounded shapes the same holds true.
Some longitudinal vortices can be killed simply by properly softening (radiusing) the side/roof/C-Pillar intersection.
What we're looking for is a 'spike-free' pressure environment. Streamline bodies have this architecture. It's why Hucho recommends them. And why I do too.

Last edited by aerohead; 06-10-2020 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: spelling
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (06-10-2020), COcyclist (06-22-2020), freebeard (06-10-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Vorticity is a form of transverse boundary layer contamination, reported very early by NACA (precursor to NASA),during airship hull developments in the 1920s.
All vortices are a result of shear. The shear is a symptom of any adjoining flow fields of varying velocity/pressure (Bernoulli Theorem) which can physically come into contact with one another.
As high pressure always moves towards low pressure, in an effort to reach equilibrium pressure, then we're talking about 'slower' air flowing towards 'faster' air ( again, Bernoulli).
On an automobile, typically, the fastest air (and lowest pressure air) resides on top of the car, as the greenhouse eruption forces it to travel the longest path, while meeting the slowest air at the same time at the rear. ( this is where Julian is dead on,with respect to local pressures).
The only way this can happen is to travel faster over the top.
Since all streamlines are isoenergetic, due to 'conservation of energy' (Thermodynamics), the only way the faster air can gain kinetic energy of motion, is to lose potential energy of local pressure.( It's remarkably like the mass/energy trade-off in Einstein's Theory of Relativity ).
Slower, high pressure air alongside the vehicle is attracted to the low-pressure,fast-moving air above the vehicle, and their velocities where they come together determine whether or not shearing forces will be great enough to spool the intersecting flow up into a vortex ( like the Jet-Stream rolling a rising column of warm,moist,super-cell,Gulf air onto its side to create a tornado).
We know from experiment that, even on simple prismatic bodies, that all vorticity can be 'tuned' out, by careful treatment of the roof angle, side bot-tailing angle, and diffuser angle.
On more rounded shapes the same holds true.
Some longitudinal vortices can be killed simply by properly softening (radiusing) the side/roof/C-Pillar intersection.
What we're looking for is a 'spike-free' pressure environment. Streamline bodies have this architecture. It's why Hucho recommends them. And why I do too.
So in summary, you subscribe to Dick Barnard's approach, which is the one I have largely covered in the book. Unfortunately, some very well qualified practising car aerodynamicists don't agree with this.
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-12-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 02:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts

I posted this in the 911 thread as well. I think it should be Stickied somewhere every Ecomodderer will see it.

The dead fish is creepy, but it validates Viktor Schauberger.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-12-2020), California98Civic (06-11-2020), COcyclist (06-22-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 04:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
... I posted this in the 911 thread as well. I think it should be Stickied somewhere every Ecomodderer will see it.

The dead fish is creepy, but it validates Viktor Schauberger.
That was really very, very good. I watched with my daughter, who is headed into an aerospace engineering program this fall. The description of Reynolds Number, the explanation of friction drag and growth of turbulancein the boundary layer, that votices dissipate into heat, the dead fish, the vortex generators... good vid!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
freebeard (06-11-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 12:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

subscribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
So in summary, you subscribe to Dick Barnard's approach, which is the one I have largely covered in the book. Unfortunately, some very well qualified practising car aerodynamicists don't agree with this.
I subscribe to fluid mechanics.
Vorticity is an artifact of shear. ' ... shear stress Tau is proportional to the velocity gradient du/dy.' ( Hucho page-48)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) There are practicing cardiologists in the USA who prescribe the Standard American Diet to their patients, while they,themselves are practicing vegans, who know that the SAD causes the , morbid obesity, type-2 diabetes,high blood pressure, artereriosclerosis, enlargening of the heart, stroke, and myocardial infarction.
2) there may be a corollary with respect to aerodynamicists. ' It's hard to get a man to understand something,when a condition of his salary is to not understand it.'
Old 06-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'd feel better if either of you would comment on the video instead of lobbing grenades at each other.

Comment on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory#History
Quote:

Turbulence in the tip vortex from an airplane wing. Studies of the critical point beyond which a system creates turbulence were important for chaos theory, analyzed for example by the Soviet physicist Lev Landau, who developed the Landau-Hopf theory of turbulence. David Ruelle and Floris Takens later predicted, against Landau, that fluid turbulence could develop through a strange attractor, a main concept of chaos theory.

"Jerk_systems" LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

video

maybe in my next life. i'm kinda busy.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
Quote:
I'd feel better if either of you would comment on the video instead of lobbing grenades at each other.
The year was 2020, it was total war.

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
Old 06-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
The year was 2020, it was total war.
I agree with freebeard and jakobnev. I'll add that you both--Phil and Julian--make important contributions here that many often find valuable. I'd love it if you would call a truce.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-17-2020), MeteorGray (06-17-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 09:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Two more with no comment on the video. Nobody saw the situational humor in 'jerk systems'?

I'd watch it again but in another thread Snax has me listening to a 2.5 hour audiobook.

Reply  Post New Thread