Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2018, 12:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,799 Times in 937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
That's awesome.

Know your history.
I've seen that very car, in 2012 at the LeMay Museum!

Quote:
edit:

I know Eric Dollard, for one, claims the true art of organ building is lost to time. Maybe you can be the first to try cryogenic tempering to tighten grain structure.
Well, that all depends on how you define "true." Many builders are quite happy to integrate digital voices into an organ, go full electric action (whether slider chest or otherwise), make weird case designs, use closed-toe voicing on high wind pressures, and otherwise act as if Schnitger is a dirty word. But a handful of American builders--Taylor and Boody in Staunton, VA; Ralph Richards and Bruce Fowkes in Chattanooga, TN; Martin Pasi in Yelm, WA; and especially Paul Fritts in Tacoma--have studied old organs extensively, and use historic casting techniques (Paul is the only builder right now using sand casting, but I expect the others will follow), mechanical action slider chests (albeit with carbon fiber trackers now, since you can't get good, straight sugar pine anymore), traditional case designs, proportions, and ornamentation, low wind pressures, open-toe voicing with little to no nicking, etc. Then, you have organizations like GOArt in Gothenburg, Sweden, which was created solely to study historic organs and try to recreate them. Their first instrument was a recreation of the now-destroyed Schnitger at the Jakobikirche in Luebeck, based on the specification of the Jakobikirche Hamburg.

This was an attempt at a perfect recreation, down to the $1.50 handmade nails, and after playing it, it does sound and feel remarkably like a 17th-century organ. But, there will always be differences. We can add impurities to the tin and lead alloys used for the pipes (something the builders I listed earlier do, but most modern builders don't), but you can't, for instance, make modern trees grow with a tighter, straighter grain when the climate doesn't allow it and all the old-growth oak forests are gone (partially to make...historic organs).

Then, you have the issue of most organs being situated in churches or used for teaching, and a perfect replica of a historic organ is limited to a certain repertoire that may or may not fit with its expected use in the institution. When the Craighead-Saunders organ at Eastman, a replica based on a 1776 Casparini organ in Vilnius, was being planned, the advisory committee had long discussions about what exactly to do. The actual Casparini organ has nicked pipes, but no one knows if those nicks are original or added in the 19th century; the replica, they eventually decided, would have none. The actual Casparini has a pedalboard with a range C-c1, which means it is impossible to play most of Bach's organ music on it; the replica, they decided, would have a pedalboard C-d1.

So, I would argue there is no "true" art of organ building; there are builders who work toward an older sound ideal. I could say they come pretty close, but in reality they're creating new instruments, like this one at the Basilica at Notre Dame, built by Paul Fritts and completed last year.

Its case design is based on the 1743 Hinsz organ at the Bovenkerk in Kampen, the Netherlands.

But its specification is quite different. Its pipes are built using old alloys and old voicing techniques, but it incorporates things like Spanish reeds and strings that you won't find on a Hinsz. It has mechanical key and stop action, but the trackers are carbon fiber and there are electric servomotors inline in the stop mechanism to allow the use of electronic registration aids.

Later this spring, the Vox Humana Journal, an online journal I sit on the editorial board of, will be publishing my interview with Paul Fritts from last December, where he talks a little about these and other issues.

The organ world is pretty small, and I know most of the people in it, but I've never run into an Eric Dollard. Does he teach somewhere?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-28-2018, 02:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
Quote:
I've seen that very car, in 2012 at the LeMay Museum!
Precisely where the picture was taken, in whatever year that solar eclipse happened.

...that's more about pipe organs than I'd ever heard before. I mentioned cryogenic tempering because I read that German machinists would store their metal stock in ice caves overwinter so their machine tools wouldn't chatter. Liquid nitrogen makes for smaller grain structure. There are probably other techniques, like making Stradivarius violins that haven't been conserved. So yay for graphene and carbon fiber.

Eric Dollard is a recluse that lives in a Toyota Corolla in the California desert. Mostly he's about the 4-dimensional nature of AC electricity, but he gets into Bach and the Grace cathedral in San Francisco.

Other videos on Youtube:
Eric P Dollard - The Supernatural Power of Music
2015-04-16 Eric Dollard Music, Harmonics & Electricity by Charles Roland Berry and ...
Origins: Tesla, Resonance, Aether, Bach & The Advanced Seismic Warning System
...and especially
Eric Dollard - History and Theory of Electricity
That's 3 hours and 24 minutes. the first half the history starting with Volta should be required viewing for every schoolchild. The second half is the theory — Maxwell via Steinmetz, tesla is almost a footnote.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 31.19 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Mr. freebeard,

Okay, but do you know anything about football?

Vman,

Why are you refusing to explain smooth closeout panels to us?! The only place I can find this phrase is this page! Stop withholding information!
Old 02-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Mr. freebeard,

Okay, but do you know anything about football?
Yes. The football is the perfect shape for a space colony interior. Here's one with a soccer field.

Also cheerleaders better fear the 3rd-wave Marxist/feminists/[muslims] that have attacked the F1 grid girls.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nss.org%2Fsettlement%2Fspace%2 Fgraphics%2FKalpanaIntD1000.jpg&f=1

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Xist (02-28-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Xist — When my son was six or seven, I told him They have a plan for you, it goes Cub Scouts, Boys Scouts, football, Marines.

Later he was walking around the house chanting, "Cub Scouts, Boys Scouts, football, Marines...Cub Scouts, Boys Scouts, football, Marines...Cub Scouts, Boys Scouts, football, Marines".

OTOH he signed up for the Navy as a radar tech.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Not Doug

Are you intolerant of Airmen?

When we deployed, everyone with a profile stayed behind. When Soldiers came to our base, if they had a profile, they stayed, while the fit joined us in Afghanistan. We were back for months before they finally gave us the motley crew of leftovers. Their squadron looked like this:

Always attributed to locking their knees and not drinking enough water.

Youtube suggested a CNN video showing a Marine in dress uniform saluting Trump. The wind blew off the servicemembers's cover, who remained statuesque, as the President restored the Marine's cover, only to have it blow off again.

Everybody remind me of the one time I found something nice to say about this guy.

"Trump is an evil idiot genius that has no idea what he is doing as he intentionally and maliciously destroys the solar system!"
(I tried to make that as contradictory as possible)
"Maybe, but one time he picked up a Marine's cover, and put it back on him."

Um... pipe organs are cool!
Old 02-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

So what I'm saying is that I'm intolerant of Airmen?

Quote:
Everybody remind me of won't let me forget the one time I found something nice to say about this guy.
He's only a President. The founders intent was that you could take a plowman out of the field and put him in the office for one term and the country would survive. It's worked so far.

The problem is the media echo-chamber. He's doing better than the last two four.

Quote:
...only to have it blow off again.
The video I saw cut just as POTUS lunged for it a second time.

Last edited by freebeard; 02-28-2018 at 07:32 PM..
Old 03-01-2018, 01:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
"Maybe, but one time he picked up a Marine's cover, and put it back on him."
HAT! The thing people wear on their head is called a hat.

Probably the #2 reason I was not all that fond of being a Marine, their insistance on making up their own stupid words for everyday things.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Not Doug

Oh, so you were that guy.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
532 Hat Synonyms - Other Words for Hat - Power Thesaurus
Hat synonyms. Top hat synonyms (other words for hat) are bonnet, cap and chapeau.
"Flight, halt, cover"

Reply  Post New Thread