Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdigger View Post
yep. the MFA signal. 99+ don't have it? Mine didn't have the wire either, but i added it to the harness, and now i'm getting it from the ecu. Isn't there a thread on here about someone's 2001? Maybe that's the one that devolved into speculation of using the Lift Sensor, or this or that other signal.
Okay, so the car may not have the wire at pin 9, but does the ecu of my 2001 jetta tdi still output the MFA signal to pin 9 of the ecu?

It may sound like i'm asking the same question twice, but I just want to clarify. Because as I understand it, the ecu outputs this MFA signal on pin 9, then that goes to another pin (I believe 26) on the gauge cluster harness of some cars.

If its as easy as getting an extra harness pin, putting it into the wire harness and running my own wire to my mpguino then THAT IS EASY. And i'll be a happy ecomodder.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I wouldn't count on finding it at #9-ecu and #26-cluster, since that's the A3 spec. There are threads on tdiclub, where guys have put Euro clusters with MFA in their A4, so that signal must be present, and i assume, pre-wired in the harness.

edit: maybe it's not pre-wired. i see a shopping list for the conversion, that includes "repair wire from the dealer", so maybe wires do need to be added.

edit2: from http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...&postcount=420
32-Fuel consumption/vacant/Radio-Navigaion enable
Maybe it's #32 on the green 32-pin connector?

Last edited by nickdigger; 05-11-2012 at 12:01 AM..
Old 05-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdigger View Post
I wouldn't count on finding it at #9-ecu and #26-cluster, since that's the A3 spec. There are threads on tdiclub, where guys have put Euro clusters with MFA in their A4, so that signal must be present, and i assume, pre-wired in the harness.

edit: maybe it's not pre-wired. i see a shopping list for the conversion, that includes "repair wire from the dealer", so maybe wires do need to be added.

edit2: from TDIClub Forums - View Single Post - MFA Cluster Conversion! Pictures!!!!
32-Fuel consumption/vacant/Radio-Navigaion enable
Maybe it's #32 on the green 32-pin connector?
That sounds hopeful. I thought the guy on that thread was talking about the passat 32pin green connector.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I was reading on another forum and saw this,

The injection pump is driven by a sprocket off the timing belt. There were many models of Bosch injection pumps; TDI pumps are all electronically controlled and most will work on 1996-2003 TDI (some need slight modification for fitment).

So if all of these pumps are electronically controlled, what ecu pinout is sending the signal to the pump? And can that signal be fed to mpguino?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #55 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

There doesn't appear to be a simple answer, or one single signal to tap. There is the Quantity Adjuster, N146, that regulates fuel input. And there is the Injection Commencement Valve N108 that specifies the time to inject. On the surface, it sounds like those are the signals to check -- BUT, the docs say that if N108 fails, the pump runs in default mode. So, what then? If the engine can run without it, maybe it's not used all the time, and always receiving a signal?? Also, the Lift Sensor on Injector #3 is what tells the ECU what the Commencement point actually is, and the ECU then uses N108 to fine-tune the Commencement.

At least, that's how i'm reading it. I'm wondering if these pumps are hybrid mechanical-electronic. I think i've seen reports of people sticking older 100% mechanical pumps on these engines. I think...
Old 09-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
And I thought I'll be the first one with MPGuino running in a diesel car (I'm so stupid ) But maybe i'll be the first one to put guino into BMW tds

I'll soon post the pictures of installation process.

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Reply  Post New Thread