Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
Interesting laws for bicycles in the state of Georgia

For more info on Georga state laws, go here (they match the ones on the dot site so they're good)

Section 40-6-296

Quote:
No bicycle shall be equipped, modified, or altered in such a way as to cause the pedal in its lowermost position to be more than 12 inches above the ground, nor shall any bicycle be operated if so equipped.
Last I checked my road bikes pedals at their lower position were only about 2 inches and that's from the factory.

Quote:
It shall be unlawful for any person to sell a new bicycle or a pedal for use on a bicycle unless the pedals on such bicycle or such pedals are equipped with reflectors of a type approved by the Department of Public Safety. The reflector on each pedal shall be so designed and situated as to be visible from the front and rear of the bicycle during darkness from a distance of 200 feet. The commissioner of public safety is authorized to promulgate rules and regulations and establish standards for such reflectors.
My clipless pedals have no reflectors on them and even if they did they are inside my shoe so you wouldn't be able to see them anyway.

I think I may also have found a loophole in GA law restricting the speed at which it can travel on the road. Section 40-6-294 states that:
Quote:
Electric assisted bicycles as defined in Code Section 40-1-1 may be operated on bicycle paths.
and Section 40-1-1 states that: (and this is a long one so I'll sum it up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by summary of 40-1-1
Electric assist bikes are defined as a bicycle that is powered by a motor no more then 1000W in power. They may not exceed 20mph in speed when under electric assist power only on level ground. May not allow for the bicycle to exceed 20mph when human power alone can already attain such speed or higher
So, that means if I have an E-bike that can go over 20mph, it is not legal to ride it on bicycle paths, however, it says nothing about being illegal to ride in the road...am I right?

(Sorry for posting so much recently, I've just been finding a lot of interesting stuff I thought I might share with everyone while I am at work)

If you're interested about bicycle safety laws in your area, check out this site.
http://www.electricscooterparts.com/laws.html

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pepper - '87 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 30.42 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCO2 View Post

Last I checked my road bikes pedals at their lower position were only about 2 inches and that's from the factory.

looks like I am ok to ride in Georgia.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
summary of 40-1-1
"Electric assist bikes are defined as a bicycle that is powered by a motor no more then 1000W in power. They may not exceed 20mph in speed when under electric assist power only on level ground. May not allow for the bicycle to exceed 20mph when human power alone can already attain such speed or higher."

The way I read it is you can NEVER exceed 20 mph under power. Period. Regardless of location.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
dont you think its totally ridiculous that they make laws over bicycles..

If you injure some one your liable no matter if you on a bike or crawling on your hands and knees, that's all it boils down to .. these laws are pretty anal

Old 09-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Definitely there are so many laws that really needs to undergo a drastic change
Old 09-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
There is a federal law that says that a bicycle with a motor and with a top speed of either 20 or 25mph (forget) is a bicycle, not a motorized bicycle, and thus can ride on side walks where it is allowed, bike paths, is covered under home owners or renters insurance and all those other laws that allow bicycle use.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Is there anywhere where it's legal to ride a bicycle on a sidewalk?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Is there anywhere where it's legal to ride a bicycle on a sidewalk?
Sidewalks are permitted in most states for bicycle ridding, here they are even part of the bike path system, the only part of town that bikes are not allowed on the side walk is on streets with business where the side walk is not wide enough to safely have people exit buildings without being hit.
So at least in Wisconsin bike are treated as traffic while on the street and have to yield to pedestrians while on sidewalks.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I think technically it is here, locally. I'm not positive on that, so don't quote it.

I do, however, know that any motorized bicycle or pedalcycle in PA, is considered a motor vehicle, and must be registered and insured as such for legal operation on the streets and highways of this (not so) great commonwealth.

The only ones that don't require a motorcycle license are those 50cc or less, with a top speed that doesn't exceed 25MPH. They also can't be operated on highways. IF you read the definition of highway in PA, it's basically a paved/lined road that is maintained by the commonwealth.

There is no motorized version of an on-road vehicle which can be operated by anyone under 16 years of age, and they all require some type of license, at least a Class C automobile license, and insurance/registration.

Get this - If it doesn't have a title, it can't be registered in PA. If it's a bike you built, it doesn't have a title. You then have to file for a title and have your "custom vehicle" inspected by a certified mechanic, then submit paperwork to have it VIN'd. In order to do this, you must have an MSO and emissions certification for the motor or kit installed, at the minimum, including an inspection and certification from the mechanic.

And you thought GA's ruling was crappy?

Old 10-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Electric bicycle laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The U.S. NHTSA Code of Motor Vehicle Safety simply defines low-speed electric bicycles as consumer products and not Motor Vehicles for safety standards.[23] In doing so they vest authority over commercial safety standards to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission(CPSC) stipulates that commercially manufactured[24] low-speed electric bicycles, or tricycles, must have fully operable pedals, an electric motor of less than 750W of power and a top motor-powered speed not in excess of 20 miles per hour (32 km/h) with a rider weighing 150 pounds.[25] An electric bike remaining within these specifications will be regarded simply as a bicycle for purposes of safety standards. This supersedes any state law that is more stringent, but only regarding safety equipment required on electric bicycles and the standard of manufacture they must meet.[26] The legislation enacting this amendment to the CPSC is also known as HR 727.[27]

No known federal regulations apply to the manufacture of homebuilt electric bicycles.

Reply  Post New Thread