Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #71 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...so, Horace Greely's infamous quote "...Go WEST youngman..." evolves to become "...Go UP (as in vertical URBAN jungles) youngman...".
But there is no way to live decently in such a place. It's just the human equivalent to battery chicken farms.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #72 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...and, how many of those "down trend" years coincided with volcano eruptions somewhere around the globe?
Good question, I'll work on finding out.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #73 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

http://climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/pdf/ROG2000.pdf

1982, and 1991, had major eruptions, I am still looking for more recent eruptions.

Both of them had an effect of 0.1 to 0.15C

Old 11-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #74 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

List of large volcanic eruptions in the 21st century - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of large volcanic eruptions of the 20th Century - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The last couple of years have been pretty active, some do seem to correlate with down turns, others not so much. The last 8-10 years has still been pretty flat though temperature wise. It may or may not be related to a combination of the solar cycle and volcanic activity.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #75 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
...You've got the Raj, we've got the First Peoples. I like to think we are all better than that now.
I've read the rest and I don't fully agree but well put and good luck.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #76 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
The problem there is that a growing (or a stable but large) population reduces living standards by the very fact of its existence. There simply isn't enough area on the planet for everyone to enjoy an adequate amount of open space, so the majority must be forced/persuaded to live crowded together in cities.
Famous "fact" from my youth is that everyone on Earth can fit onto the Isle of White

So, how would you deal with population growth ?

Old 11-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #77 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnemy View Post
List of large volcanic eruptions in the 21st century - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of large volcanic eruptions of the 20th Century - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The last couple of years have been pretty active, some do seem to correlate with down turns, others not so much. The last 8-10 years has still been pretty flat though temperature wise. It may or may not be related to a combination of the solar cycle and volcanic activity.
Google the idea - it is not significant during the times when we have known about eruptions across the globe - not enough to make a link.

In 535 there were a number of catastrophic events, and also in 1315 and the "Year without summer" in 1816. It is worth noting in the Wiki-bloody-pedia article for the last of these the "unusual climate events" involved. We are currently being told that unusual events are something new because we drive and like warm houses.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #78 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 View Post
Not to worry?

You are really posting the Hockey Stick - really ? Honestly do you still believe it ? Come on Suspect I thought more of you than this.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #79 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Google the idea - it is not significant during the times when we have known about eruptions across the globe - not enough to make a link.

In 535 there were a number of catastrophic events, and also in 1315 and the "Year without summer" in 1816. It is worth noting in the Wiki-bloody-pedia article for the last of these the "unusual climate events" involved. We are currently being told that unusual events are something new because we drive and like warm houses.
Global warming is getting the blame for everything right now, then we are told its our fault. We are given evidence of global warming and told that it is a sign that it is our fault when it would be the same whether it is completely natural, our fault, or some combination of the two.

I have found Suspects articles as easy discredit as it has been to discredit the deniers arguments. Maybe with time we can get him to at least make better arguments supporting his position.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #80 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Why is the Arctic ice melting so fast over the last decade? Why have the northeast and northwest passages been open to regular shipping for the first time in recorded history? Why is the Greenland ice shelf melting faster than we have ever seen before? Why is virtually every glacier in the world melting faster and faster? Why is the ocean level rising? Why is the ocean getting more acidic? Why is the tundra melting and releasing methane? Why are tropical diseases spreading way beyond their "normal" ranges?

Climate Change: Evidence
Global Warming Frequently Asked Questions

Observed Temperature & Greenhouse Gas Trends | Center for Climate and Energy Solutions

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Closed Thread  Post New Thread