Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Events & Meet-ups
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Smile June 18, 2011 Economy Run in Montreal

SMCC Montreal will hold an Economy Run again this year, using the same route as last year so that results may be compared and benchmarked. The event will run like a rally with elapsed time checkpoints: you can arrive early, but are penalized for lateness. Final results will be based on fuel economy and time penalties.

Click here for the event flyer with all the details

Last year's results were impressive. This year we're hoping for a few more hybrids, diesels and whatever else people have!

If you live far away and are thinking about making a special trip up including some sightseeing, let me know as I may be able to arrange for some accomodations.

Looking forward to good fun again this year!

Edit 07 06 11: Promo video

Last edited by nerdboy; 06-07-2011 at 08:16 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
Probably won't make this one. Was going to try( still going to get my Enhanced Drivers license), but I'm having surgery on my clutch ankle on the June 6th( had to move it up a bit) . Doc says 6-8 weeks recovery( so that means 2-3 in my world). Been practicing driving a manual with one foot.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Old 05-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
Probably won't make this one. Was going to try( still going to get my Enhanced Drivers license), but I'm having surgery on my clutch ankle on the June 6th( had to move it up a bit) . Doc says 6-8 weeks recovery( so that means 2-3 in my world). Been practicing driving a manual with one foot.
You can always co-drive for another ecomodder. The rally style of the event demands teams of two.

We've got good response from the Smart Club this year. I'm really curious to see how well they actually do: the route includes everything from urban, mega-highway, hilly backroads and flat straight concession roads.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Oi, I'm so up in the air and conflicted about this! What a fun event this is. Whaddaya think Darin?

Anyway, that EX is the perfect car for this event because sometimes a little spunk is required and that car definitely has it. My metro XFi powered CRX is pretty weak and still jolts a little at around 2k rpms under low load (possible ignition wiring issues or dizzy...)

Since I'm not sure I'll have a suitable vehicle for the event, I would consider driving up to Darin's and navigating for him and his new insight...or driving again. (What say you, ol' chum?)
Old 05-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
Nerdboy- Unfortunately, it's a 3 hour round trip for me to get to one of the three Department of Motor Vehicles locations in the state of Vermont that give the Enhanced drivers license. I have all the documents and am going to TRY to get to one( Montpelier) on the day of my surgery( before, not after). Hopefully, I'll get it before the rally as I should be good and ready to get OUT of the house after 3 weeks. I would even enjoy being a spectator.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Saab EV - '19 Chevy Bolt EV LT

Pierre - '07 ZENN MC2 Base
Hi all,

I have just contacted last year's navigator [Steve] to see if he can make it out again this year. Jeff's unique rally and hospitality were so terrific last year that I can't stand the thought of missing this year's event.

Will, I have the solution to your car dilemma. Let's do what we talked about doing after last year's event: rent identicle cars and have a go. I'm thinking the new Ford Fiesta or a Toyota Yaris. Jeff, are stick shift rental cars available in Montreal?

Mike
Old 06-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Steve can't make it this year [he will be in Saratoga for a Citroen event] so I am looking for someone to navigate for me. Really anyone who can keep me going the right way will be fine. The timing aspect is secondary to me [although that's how we won last year].

Anyone interested?

Mike
Old 06-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownb310 View Post
Jeff, are stick shift rental cars available in Montreal?
Not that I know of. It's a question that often comes up on car forums, but aside from exotics, I don't think you can.

www.viaroute.com used to have Priusses for rent, although that may no longer be the case.

If you make the trip up, the good news is that I have a nice place in Old Montreal for out-of-towners to sleep.

The Quebec Smart Club seem to be taking this event very seriously, as they have offered life membership if a Smart wins overall! I'm not sure that's the optimal car for the route, but well driven, they'd be hard to beat.

Hope we get to see you defend your title Mike! And I hope Will can defend his overall best fuel economy too!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Turns out I've got travelers from afar coming in to visit that weekend and I cannot make it! What a bummer. What a great event this was last year. I've been striking out on my ability to make it to FE events this year. Such is life I guess. Mike, are you planning on a summer AMEC FE run this year?
Old 06-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdboy View Post
Hope we get to see you defend your title Mike!
Thank you Jeff. And I appreciate the link to the rental car company. No automatics for me though. I guess I will use my other '91 Sentra SE-R then. It's black too, but has been extensively lightened for rallycross. Now all I need is a navvie.

Jeff, if there are any bilingual members in your group that might like to ride with me for this event, I'd really appreciate you connecting us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
Turns out I've got travelers from afar coming in to visit that weekend and I cannot make it! .....Mike, are you planning on a summer AMEC FE run this year?
Bummer Will! It would have been great to see you again.

No, unfortunately my club has no plans on organizing a FE run this summer.